Notices

Commitment

Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Commitment

Since I was last on these forums where I wasn't sure I had a problem I wrecked the family car because of drinking and I last night I once again went out and drank to much with co-workers.

I think it's time for me to admit I have a problem.

I'm worried that I'll loose my wife soon if I don't shape up.

I think the problem is that I keep trying to tell myself I don't have a problem and because of that I fall into the same hole over and over again. The problem is that where I work alcohol is all around there is kegs in offices and "beer fridges" I have a hard time saying no and every time I try to convince myself I don't have a problem I prove myself wrong.

But I'm tired of making excuses and want to move forward and improve who I am instead of making a fool out of myself.

So here I am finally admitting it. I have a problem with alcohol and I don't want to keep down this road. This road only has hurt who I am. I will loose my job, my wife, and everything if I do. So I feel like before I do I need to make a commitment not to drink again. And so I am. starting today I'm going to work hard on never drinking again.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Sokar if wrecking the family car drink driving doesn't make you face up to your problem with alcohol, not much will. You have enough insight now to take action. Lots of us have taken years to acknowledge we are alcoholics, but it's an essential first step. Congratulations for taking that step.

I found the only way of dealing with the temptation to drink was to absolutely rule it out of my life. Trying to moderate was hopeless, and half the time ended up in me drinking more as a reaction. Total abstinence was surprisingly relaxing, because the back and forth in my mind was gone.

At first you may have to deal with cravings and temptation. You may have to say no to some social occasions and get rid of any alcohol in the house. Change your routines to avoid triggers. Ask for and seek support. If you get through the first hard part, you'll feel so much better.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sokar.....I'm glad you're here! I found myself in a similar situation and knew I had to quit drinking......for good......and I did. I'm surrounded by alcohol, too, and it was hard in the beginning, but ultimately I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. I quit drinking and so can you. I hope you'll stick around and be encouraged by others here.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
The problem is that where I work alcohol is all around there is kegs in offices and "beer fridges" .
Years back Stroh's brewery allowed employees to drink during breaks! GACIOCH v. STROH BREWERY CO. | Leagle.com

That stopped years back......

Access to alcohol / allowed by an employer seems wayyyyy over the top. I would have to change jobs, period. I would think that whomever carries the workman's comp for your company would be pretty alarmed over this!

First, it would be a huge detriment to be around alcohol like that and second as I gained time would want to be around people in a company that drank all the time.

Change = sobriety is possible but it starts with choices. Sounds like you have some to make........

Glad you're here today
Keep coming back!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.

The biggest issue that I'm dealing with right now is regret, anxiousness, depression and thinking of all the stupid and hurtful things I've done while intoxicated.The fact is I'm realizing that these things won't go away. I just hope in time I can move on. I've brought up never drinking hard with my wife before and she doesn't believe me anymore and I don't blame her. I'm realizing the only thing I can do to make these things better is to work on sobriety and work on repairing the issues by rebuilding trust slowly. I can't blame anything but myself for what has happened in the past. I think I have a long road ahead. But I know if I continue with sobriety, things will be better in the end.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Sokar!!

Sounds like alcohol isn't doing you any favours, you can do this!!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Sokar
Old 05-02-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Sokar

I think we all come to the point where we have to accept the past is what it is and we can't change it.

There's a lot we can do with today tho...and over time that became more important to me.

I hope it will with you too

D
Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have gone 6 days now without alcohol. It's interesting I feel healthier and less slugish than I have for a long time. Even though still there I'm starting to get past the self regret and start looking at the future instead of being depressed about the past. However, I still go through periods of the day when I get more depressed than normal. But it's way better than the first few days.

It's interesting I never really noticed an urge to drink before as it was just part of my regular life however now that I've started not drinking I've noticed that I crave it at times and I seem to crave it more the longer that I have not been drinking. I'm hoping this feeling will pass eventually. I've started up a few hobbies in order to get my mind off of it and things I've wanted to do forever that I've always wanted to get into. Just last night I grilled up some awesome pork chops with an dry rub that was to die for. I'm really looking forward to picking up bbq as it was something I've always pushed off because of excuses. Now it's something I can really concentrate on and get good at.

My wife so far has been super supportive and we've moved past the issues in the relationship from the car and others. Mainly cause I'm showing that I'm trying to make things better. She however doesn't fully believe me yet and that's giving me some extra strength to push forward as well to prove to her that I can do this and not fall into the same trap again.

I know this was a pretty long post but it helps me to write down what's in my head. Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. It has really helped me thus far.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sokar, congratulations on 6 days sober! That's great, and hopefully the depression will clear up soon. As well, the cravings will lessen as you recover. It's normal that your wife is somewhat suspicious, but it's great that she is supportive. Stay the course, and she will see that you are changing.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on six days. That's great.

The cravings will lessen over time. Just don't give in to them. Sounds like you are doing healthy things instead.

Keep plugging away and don't push. It's great your wife is supportive. I think you realize you can't expect instantaneous trust. That should return providing you continue to work on your sobriety. Actions speak louder than words.

You can do this.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my wife got sick and tired of my drinking sounds like a good time to stop
Old 05-07-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job on 6 days sober