SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Seeking encouragement and support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366136-seeking-encouragement-support.html)

SoulDiva 05-01-2015 02:33 PM

Seeking encouragement and support

My first day here and my first step towards recovery...I am an alcoholic and needed to do this for a long time...was afraid of joining a group or going to meetings as I am in entertainment and did not want anyone who may know me to recognize me.

However my health, sobriety and recovery are most important..so here I am and open to any encouraging, inspiring, wise or helpful words or advice..

Thank you and wishing each of you love, light, health and happiness on your journey :tyou

site1Q84 05-01-2015 02:36 PM

Welcome!

I'm only on day 3 so I don't have a ton of advice yet, but staying active on here has really helped me so far! I keep seeing people saying the first few days are rough, and while I've found that to be true the amount of support on here has been amazing!

There's also people all over the world, so there's always someone online.

I'd check out the sticky'd threads at the top of the newcomers section... lots of good tips in there on fighting urges and how a lot of the people on this board have stayed sober for so long.

Welcome!

SoulDiva 05-01-2015 02:38 PM

Thank you site1Q84

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond and for the
encouragement.

Wishing you love, light, health, happiness and prosperity

Kris47 05-01-2015 02:42 PM

Welcome to SR, Soul Diva!

Glad you found us here.

Keep coming back.................

JaneLane 05-01-2015 02:43 PM

Hi Soul,

It can be a difficult journey at times but we are all here together.

Do you have a plan to keep sober? I go to AA meetings, this forum and I also go to my local addiction centre. That mixture works for me so it might be worth thinking about what you can try and see what works for you :-)

site1Q84 05-01-2015 02:47 PM

It definitely helps to have a plan.

I'm not one for meetings either (have tried them in the past and they weren't too helpful) but I'm about to start a yoga class and have been doing meditation and some things along those lines. Anything stress relieving where I know I won't run into people drinking.

Lots of long walks - thankfully my neighborhood has a beautiful bike path through the whole city I can use.

Those sorts of things have been helping me a lot so far just to keep me busy and keep my mind off of drinking.

Also, especially if you're in entertainment (I am too- lots of drinks around,) it's good to have a plan for what you're going to do when you're out and offered a drink or around others that are drinking. Have a game plan for that is a good place to start!

PurpleKnight 05-01-2015 02:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum SoulDiva!! :wave:

MIRecovery 05-01-2015 03:00 PM

Welcome

There is a great post about 101 things to do that will help you stay sober but I never can find it.

Could someone post the link?

site1Q84 05-01-2015 03:04 PM

Is it this one?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

MIRecovery 05-01-2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5348435)

Thanks that is it

hedgehog 05-01-2015 03:08 PM

Welcome. I just started on SR today too (third day sober), but it's actually helped me quite a bit already. I've faced temptation throughout the day and used the forums as a healthy way to avoid the poison and learn more about what this journey is going to be like.

Not sure what side of the business you work on (although I'm sure I could offer a guess based on your screen name ;-), but I've been in the industry eighteen years & definitely know where you're coming from regarding the environment. Drugs & booze are a way of life in our careers, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to live. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat; I think our business offers a unique set of challenges. Stay strong, you're not alone.

Aiko 05-01-2015 03:13 PM

Dear SoulDiva,

SR is the perfect place for you :)
Here you can open up any time and you will not be judged for who you are!
Besides you can keep anonimity!
and the best is we will understand you as we all have faced similar problems...

Best wishes in the recovery road :ring

Hevyn 05-01-2015 03:16 PM

We're so glad to have you with us SoulDiva. You're with friends who care.

I drank for 30 yrs. & could never imagine my life without it. I convinced myself I needed it to relax, have fun, to cope - but all I did was make myself more anxious and miserable. You can break free. Happy you found us. :)

Soberwolf 05-01-2015 03:44 PM

Hello & Welcome SoulDiva

least 05-01-2015 03:49 PM

Welcome to the family! :) You'll find lots of help and support here. :hug:

MIRecovery 05-01-2015 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoulDiva (Post 5348388)
My first day here and my first step towards recovery...I am an alcoholic and needed to do this for a long time...was afraid of joining a group or going to meetings as I am in entertainment and did not want anyone who may know me to recognize me.

However my health, sobriety and recovery are most important..so here I am and open to any encouraging, inspiring, wise or helpful words or advice..

Thank you and wishing each of you love, light, health and happiness on your journey :tyou

Joe Walsh from the Eagles has stopped in for a meeting at our local ALANO club when he was in town for a concert.

Great recovery song. Joe Walsh's A day at a time
https://vimeo.com/70315280

Anna 05-01-2015 04:32 PM

Welcome, SoulDiva,

I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking. We're here to offer support.

site1Q84 05-01-2015 04:46 PM

Also - SoulDiva & hedgehog:

Not sure what part of the industry you're in (or if there is a better place to post this, someone just let me know) but there's an organization run by the Grammy Foundation that specializes in helping folks in entertainment :

Addiction Recovery Resources | GRAMMY.org

They hold weekly meetings in cities all over the US. They also have specialty meetings at any large music event (Grammys, music festivals, etc.)

Just in case anyone needs it!

site1Q84 05-01-2015 04:47 PM

Not sure what part of the industry you're in (or if there is a better place to post this, someone just let me know) but there's an organization run by the Grammy Foundation that specializes in helping folks in entertainment :

Addiction Recovery Resources | GRAMMY.org

They hold weekly meetings in cities all over the US. They also have specialty meetings at any large music event (Grammys, music festivals, etc.)

hedgehog 05-02-2015 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5348599)

Awesome, thanks!