Notices

Thought on moderation

Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought on moderation

I haven't started a thread on here in awhile, but wanted to share this and also have it as something I could look back on for a reference when the AV flares up and tries to convince me moderation is possible.

I'm currently at an airport lounge and given how hyper aware I am with alcohol right now, realized how like everyone here is drinking. I've been dealing with tons of urges and cravings recently and have absolutely zero desire to drink right now.

I sat here and thought about that for awhile and realize that the reason I don't want anything now is because I don't have the option of getting drunk. I don't ever crave in moderation, I crave getting drunk and since I have a connecting flight and then have to drive, getting drunk is off the table. Having just one is completely on the table, but I now have a very clear realization that while I fantasize about moderation all the time, deep down, that's not what my brain actually wants.

Just figured I'd share that nugget. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Moderation was a myth for me...

Well done
Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nugget : )

I can completely relate to you. Every relapse I have ever had (and there have been MANY) was the result of me thinking I could "handle" alcohol. I, myself, had an occupation that required much time in airports so I know where you're coming from. I pray you get through this ok. If you have any further struggles than please keep posting, ok?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a whole long reply typed out then my router of doom decided to cut out...argh.

Anyway, you're doing a brilliant job and I hope you are truly proud of yourself. I was thinking about my friend the other day who has a glass of wine with dinner at the weekends and my immediate thought was, "No one catches a buzz after one glass, what the heck" and then I realised that wow, not everyone drinks to get that numb, weird feeling or drinks to blacking out. It was another moment where things clicked a bit for me.

Have a safe trip :-)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A great point, for me too the idea of having "a drink" now sounds awful, I drank to get drunk and alcohol has no appeal unless I can do that.

The problem though was I wanted to drink as much as I could but without the consequences!!

Therein lay the issue that lead me to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis!!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Moderation? I could never see the point. What i was searching for was how to be a drunk without the consequences. I looked for a long time but never found it
Old 05-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For years I never wanted to drink if I had to control it, that was NOT what I signed up for. What I didn't know for a long time is that I couldn't control it even if I had wanted to. Once I drink the option or choice is gone.

Then I got to a point that not drinking was no longer an option. I had to or the anxiety ate me alive. The only time I didn't drink was at work and that was pure torture. I called off a lot because I the thought of not drinking all day was more then I could cope with that day.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Nymets
Old 05-01-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahh moderation. Sounds like the holy grail to me.

Most days started out with "I'm not going to drink at all today"
Then when I got home, it was "I'll just have one or two"
Then it was a trip to the store because I only bought a 6 pack and that was not enough for the day!

Even the days I managed to only have 2 or 3 drinks I always knew that tomorrow I was going to get hammered and I think that's the only reason it worked!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nugget, and I can definitely relate. One time, I even got off the plane during a layover, mid-trip. Was flying from Halifax to Edmonton, and we dropped down in Hamilton, Ontario for a quick pickup / drop off off passengers.

Since all my luggage was carry-on I decided, "this is good enough, I need a drink", got off the plane in Hamilton, grabbed a hotel, and proceeded to get plastered. Next day I had to buy a new plane ticket to get myself to Edmonton.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlmA

Moderation does not Exist!!!

When you question yourself if you can...
that means you can NOT!!!

Hope you have a nice try
Old 05-01-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm currently at an airport lounge and given how hyper aware I am with alcohol right now, realized how like everyone here is drinking.

huh, sitting IN a bar and people are DRINKING??? go figure.

if you went to church, they'd be praying.
if you went to the gym, they'd be working out.
if you went to the grocery store, they'd all be shopping.
if you went to the barber shop, they'd be getting haircuts.

not to be snarky at all, and I am glad you had your revelation about moderation, but do consider the places you put yourself and how that choice will either SUPPORT staying sober or not.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know going to the lounge maybe wasn't ideal because people would be drinking there, but I also had to do work and eat lunch and they have internet there and food.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Moderation is for normies.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sadly you won't be able to avoid bars forever anyways, so I think as long as you made it through okay then it was a good experience!

Maybe next time it won't be as tempting?