Notices

What have you replaced for fun....?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

What have you replaced for fun....?

I had times when drinking was not so fun, but also times when it still was.

What have you started doing in sobriety that is FUN?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What I started doing more of was walking my dogs. I have two dogs who have been very important to my recovery. I love to walk them, it's the high point of my day. When I was drinking I didn't walk my dogs much but now that I'm sober, I walk them at least once a day and often more.

It's good for all of us. The fresh air and sunshine and exercise does us all a world of good. And I am repaid by watching them enjoying their 'dogginess'.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spent so long drinking that I had no idea how to have fun without it.

Here are some great suggestions:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

The fact is I have more fun now than I ever had as a drinker - I'm sure you'll find the same NAP

D
Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's interesting but the longer I remain sober, the less I worry about "fun" or the "now what do i do's" as life starts to happen on its own and takes shape....and its just ok. I mean it's hard to explain but I certainly remember things now lol.

Ryan
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like least, I will (hopefully) begin to take my dogs for walks. Lately, have been doing some "practice walks" just around the yard here to get them used to the leash. Just so they know to stay on the left side, behind me, and that I'm in control of where we go. Quite a few street dogs around here though, so not sure how well it will go, but am going to try.

Then I plan to spend time in the temple(s), and hopefully meet some interesting people, and get myself involved in some projects via there to help others.

Wouldn't mind picking up golf again as well. Going to a swimming pool a couple times a week would be pretty nice as well. Oh, and I wouldn't mind the movie theatre once in a while as well. Oh, and definitely checking out some of the waterfalls around here, and going for a swim there.

I also have to learn Spanish as well for my upcoming move, so have to get on that too.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking was no longer fun. At first I replaced drinking days or hungover mornings with hiking, community classes, and and studying Chinese medicine. Today the list of things I do bc of my sobriety is too long to type. What have you found that is fun?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I found reading books came back to me

I bought a games console and enjoyed that , acted as my go to when i'd got nothing else to do when i was in the early days .

I cooked more and made nicer meals ,

I went to the sea side every couple of weeks and did some long walks .

I dusted off my guitar and play it regularly , once i move i'm going to search and see if i can get a band running again .

Bestwishes , m
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am quite early in my recovery so I kept it simple.

Reading was definitely up there.

House renovations.

Long intense walks.

Hot baths just to laze in.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by itstheone View Post
It's interesting but the longer I remain sober, the less I worry about "fun" or the "now what do i do's" as life starts to happen on its own and takes shape....and its just ok. I mean it's hard to explain but I certainly remember things now lol.

Ryan
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I enjoy life I don't do fun things even though I do fun things. Sounds crazy but I'm not sure how else to explain it
Old 05-01-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like to cook now. I always thought I wasn't any good at it, then realised that I was just usually too drunk to cook anything properly or take the time to do so!

I have also got back into my love of reading and I have been playing some computer games too, which I rarely used to do.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Plant a garden. Read some books. Go for a run. See how many runs/books you can finish in a month.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am spending a lot of time recreating the woodworking shop that I lost a few years back..Made some great progress so far...Hoping to start building a few things soon...I look around the house at all this furniture , shelving and stools I made , just wondering "How in the heck did I manage to do all that when I was drinking???!!"

I am only hoping I can do woodworking joinery as good sober as I used to do after a 12 pack... Lord Help me..
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think D's link is very useful

Totally agree with Least about the dogs they are fun beyond words

Cooking is fun think about how happy a favorite meal can be and then make it ?