Notices

Oh Man I Am in Trouble!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh Man I Am in Trouble!

Hello All:

I've always been a bit of a drinker. But I think I just fell into the deep end of the pool. I am in the last two weeks experiencing, for the first time, withdrawal symptoms over and above your average hangover. I am for the first time feeling the desire to keep a constant low level bac. I need help. I need to stop. But OMG the sweats, the soaking stinking sweats and anxiety, the absolute inability to sit still, to concentrate. I've crossed the line, and I am terrified.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is a very scary time when you recognize that your drinking is out of control and you know you need to stop. Have faith that you can do this.

If you're ready to stop drinking, we're here to offer support.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome oephaelia! I remember how that felt - and I can never go back there again.

I'm sorry for your misery, but be glad you're acknowledging what needs to happen. Some never see what alcohol is doing to their lives. It took me a long time to admit I had no control over myself once it was in my system. It's such a relief to be free of it. You can do it.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting safely, and more comfortably, thru withdrawal. And remember, the physical symptoms only last a few days. It takes a while to learn to live sober, but it's worth the effort. I've been sober over five years and don't regret a minute of it.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your kind responses. What tipped me over into daily drinking was a family suicide. Not an excuse, just an explanation, maybe, I don't know anymore, I can't trust my own judgment. But I have no support. I have a hard time asking for help, and have to keep matters on the down low because of my situation. I feel like I will die though if I self detox, but am hoping that it has not been so long that this is impossible. But the withdrawals are so strong that I have even more respect for those of you who went through this than a did before, and that is saying something. What should I expect?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oephaelia View Post
Thank you so much for your kind responses. What tipped me over into daily drinking was a family suicide. Not an excuse, just an explanation, maybe, I don't know anymore, I can't trust my own judgment. But I have no support. I have a hard time asking for help, and have to keep matters on the down low because of my situation. I feel like I will die though if I self detox, but am hoping that it has not been so long that this is impossible. But the withdrawals are so strong that I have even more respect for those of you who went through this than a did before, and that is saying something. What should I expect?
Hey friend, I get it. I'm not far away over here in MPLS. Withdrawal is an uncomfortable period, but most of us make it through. If you feel you cannot break through, a visit to ER or detox is the smartest thing to do. I am very sorry to hear about the family tragedy, but if you are really in bad shape, you need to think about yourself...or you will become yet another family tragedy. Please take care.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All respect, I am hesitant to see my doctor because certain people have access to my medical records. I am on a benzo for chronic anxiety but haven't taken it as prescribed for months (which may have got me here, I don't know) so I am now taking it so I don't start convulsing. I know this is going to be hard. I just had no idea!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Could you see someone other than your normal doctor?

If you can find someone that specializes in chemical dependency they may be able to help you with some prescriptions so you can safely self detox, if that's what's best for you.

Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know you are right, Site. The people who get medical records employ me. I need to pay out of pocket, and that is OK, if that is what it takes. I can't live like this. I don't want to live like this.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well good for you. I'm sorry you're in that situation, but what matters most now is your health and taking care of yourself the best you can.

Paying out of pocket sucks, but if it saves your life than it'll be worth it
Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oephaelia - welcome

Yeah I recommend a Dr if you're concerned, no matter what it takes.
You'll have peace of mind that way

D
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of support here! It does get easier with time!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ditto here. I got exactly the same 2 weeks ago.

Same as you, I'd always been a drinker, had been trying for a while to quit, was largely successful at that after New Years Eve aside from a couple of slip ups in Feb and one in Jan.

But then after Songkran (Thai new year) in Chiang Mai, 2 weeks ago, I got the same; malodorous sweats, heart rate increasing, panic attacks and suchlike.

It was hands down the scariest thing I'd ever experienced. The sure sign that I wasn't just an 'alcohol dependent', I was definitely an alcoholic, that if I didn't manage to stop, I was facing death at some point over the next year or so at the latest.

Let's just try to put it behind us - I know right, easier said than done. Just focus on your better condition as your health re-stabilises itself - which it will over the next couple of days or so.

Just make sure to drink LOTS of water, orange juice, and make sure you eat something, even if you don't feel like it. Something with vitamins in, ideally.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oephaelia , the first 2 weeks is a heck of a ride...Hang on tight...If you can manage to schedule some off time and\or downtime , that would be the time to do it..You'll make it just fine..It's just a weird feeling...
Old 05-01-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oephaelia View Post

the sweats, the soaking stinking sweats and anxiety, the absolute inability to sit still, to concentrate. I've crossed the line, and I am terrified.
Well, thank God you see the writing on the wall, for many drunks never do.

Now, how do we approach and be rid of this problem ?

Let's make a list and put together what I call

My Sober Tool Belt

Mountainman
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Oephaelia
Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I went through awful withdrawal in early January and never want to live that horror again. I went to the er just to be safe when things got rough, it cost me a bunch of money but it was well spent.

I can't be sure of how you will feel but more than likely the physical symptoms will only last ten days or so. I wish you the best and am here with you.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Ophelia.

I don't want to repeat what you are presently enduring.

And you don't have to do it again.

Please stay with it - it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

It was with me.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hear you on the withdrawal. I would love to see a doctor but I honestly dont have time as I am traveling the next two weeks. I am hoping I can keep them under control. I dont have anxiety or racing heart, but dang the night sweats & insomnia.
Lets do this together!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Oephaelia!!