SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just been lucky (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366057-just-been-lucky.html)

veryready 04-30-2015 04:02 PM

Just been lucky

2 1/2 years, or close to it. That's how long it has been since I sat in my car logging into SR for the first time. I remember it was snowing and it was a Monday night. I was waiting for the kids to come out from a thing they did on Mondays. It's right next door to a drive up liquor store. Every time I dropped them off there I would do the mental gymnastics about whether or not I would get something to drink. I couldn't imagine not drinking when there was going to be a football game on TV, but I had finally had enough. I had found SR and decided it was finally time to log in and see if I could finally get free from the exhausting cycle I was in. The hangovers, hiding bottles, rotating stores, making believe I was a beer connoisseur. Lots of making believe and feeling like crap most of the time.

Its never easy. I have always said I was lucky, but I can relate to anyone who has always had a hard time having one drink. At this point, that is how I describe my drinking to anyone who cares. I just could never have one. So, no matter what changes in my life, I know that will never change. Super glad to be sober and that's is the only way it can ever be for me. Sure, there are things that will be hard for weeks or months, but I can tell you that after this amount of time, you can just become a non-drinker. Nobody will care whether you drink or not. There won't be any peer pressure. You will have moved on, and believe it or not, you will find other things to build your life around. There are good days and bad days, but at least I can respect myself with a clear head. If I fail, its just me failing or being a dope, the way god made me and I think other people respect that.

I remember staying logged in until late most nights for the first few months. Checking in with my class and seeing the comments from Dee. Dee is the best and he knows. Listen to Dee! Thanks Dee and all the other sober people who give so much time here to help us all. At some point, we get sober and kind of move on a little bit, but I will never forget how hard it was and how much this site has meant to me.

Be well. One day at a time, or one minute at a time if that's what it takes. Its worth it.

PurpleKnight 04-30-2015 04:24 PM

Fantastic, there's no luck about it, YOU made sobriety happen!! :You_Rock_

Soberwolf 04-30-2015 04:32 PM

Exellent Everready

least 04-30-2015 04:41 PM

Thank you for that inspirational post. :)

Dee74 04-30-2015 04:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words VR - and thank you for another great post :)

Always good to see you :)

D

Kris47 04-30-2015 05:00 PM

What a wonderful and insightful post! Thank you.

Nice to meet your acquaintance.

Keep counting...............................

Anna 04-30-2015 05:17 PM

I'm really glad to hear you are doing well.

Kafkaesque 04-30-2015 05:35 PM

Thank you for this post. I've been struggling a lot tonight but your post really inspired me and brought me some clarity. I truly thank you.

VikingGF 04-30-2015 05:38 PM

Great post.

brynn 04-30-2015 05:39 PM

Awesome post! Thank you for sharing your inspirational story! Love it!!
:)

site1Q84 04-30-2015 05:41 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one spending all my time on here at the beginning!

:)

nomis 04-30-2015 05:51 PM

Proud of you mate :)

Hevyn 04-30-2015 06:47 PM

I loved reading that veryready! So very proud of you for achieving 2-1/2 yrs. We know how hard you worked for it.

Impurrfect 04-30-2015 07:10 PM

Thanks for your inspiring post and congratulations on 2-1/2 years!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Dollyangel17 04-30-2015 07:13 PM

what a great post. I was thinking the same thing today myself! I hit 2 years today, and although I don't log on as much, there was a time in my early days SR was my lifeline every day! It sure got me through a couple tight spots:-)

Thanks to you all!

newpage119 04-30-2015 07:18 PM

Beautiful, inspiring post! Thank you :tyou veryready!

MythOfSisyphus 05-01-2015 01:06 AM

Great post! I'm glad that SR has helped. I know it has helped me!

ForMeForThem 05-01-2015 04:35 AM

Great post veryready and well done on 2 1/2 years. Thanks for all you've done to help me over the years. I'm a work in progress, but I honestly don't know where I would be without the support you've given me since we joined in November 2012.

Your post is inspiring and I am truly happy for you.

Della1968 05-01-2015 04:42 AM

Thank you for the post!

phoebe64 05-01-2015 04:48 AM

I was with you in that November group, Veryready! I am so glad to see that you have had great success at sober living. Very happy for you and find it inspirational.