Notices

First post...

Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post...

Never tried anything like this before so here goes...

Began starting to try to quit drinking on April 1st, and have held up fairly well so far...(most days have been wins, only a couple were losses). Have tried a couple of AA meetings - I do enjoy going, but I'm not into the self-flaggelation that some of the people seem to be into. I think I'm a pretty good person, and my wanting to drink too much is just one (of my many) faults. I'm not going to let it define me or the rest of my life. I think AA is a great program, but I'm not totally sure it's for me, I'm more of a tough-love type person, and not very touchy-feely.

Mainly trying to quit because I know it's a killer on my health, energy, productivity, and because I have a scary habit of not remembering large portions of my time when I do drink. Downside is that all of my friends and co-workers drink, so it's constantly around me and highly encouraged.

I'll look forward to hearing all of your stories and I may tell a few of my own once I've gotten my feet wet...
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello thw

Like you I started April 1.....it seemed like a good date to adopt....good to hear you had an okay month. Tho its late, why not sign onto the April class ? It continues on for the people who.ve been in it to date.

Non touchie feelies supported here......I'm a bit like that as well. Find the confessional thing a bit daunting.

All the best.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR thwsmith. Congrats on your sober time so far, you'll find a ton of support and understanding here. Feel free to ask anything you like and join in on the discussion.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your decision to get sober. I'm AA and don't self-flagelate so am not sure what you mean by that. If you're in a metro area especially, there are all kinds of meetings. You might want to try Big Book or Step ones. At any rate, check out a few different ones with different people. One of the first sayings I heard in AA was "Only alcoholics have blackouts." and I've found that to be true other than the occasional New Year's party social drinker that had the amount hit all at once maybe due to eating a lot while drinking.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

If AA isn't for you, there's a lot of other stuff out there. I am waiting for my Rational Recovery book to arrive which might be worth looking into.

Anyway, read as much as you can round here and enjoy :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Canguy - what is the april class you refer to?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turtle82 View Post
Welcome to SR and congratulations on your decision to get sober. I'm AA and don't self-flagelate so am not sure what you mean by that. If you're in a metro area especially, there are all kinds of meetings. You might want to try Big Book or Step ones. At any rate, check out a few different ones with different people. One of the first sayings I heard in AA was "Only alcoholics have blackouts." and I've found that to be true other than the occasional New Year's party social drinker that had the amount hit all at once maybe due to eating a lot while drinking.
turtle - not all members do that. I have been to 2 Big Book/open type meetings. I have gotten a lot out of listening to the people who are there, they're wonderfully open and kind. But I have gotten a "I'm such a miserable person" vibe from a couple...it's hard, I totally understand, and there are days my self-esteem is at the bottom too. I might do better with someone 1-1, but we'll see how it goes. Not giving up on it yet...it's all a process.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Thwsmith!!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thwsmith33 View Post
Canguy - what is the april class you refer to?
If you scroll thru the threads there's one called 'Class of April 2015'
By posting you become a 'member', part of a group who are quitting for that month. It's a great support.....in moments of difficulty there will be some help and advice there.

There is a class for each month. They are accepting here of you joining wherever you wish.

It's a good, ongoing source of support for those of us who aren't so much into the confessional thing.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR thwsmith

My life revolved around drinkign too...but it got to the point I really needed to change so I did.

I didn't lose out on the deal and neither will you

April support thread is here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-14.html

D