SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What I learned at the gym. A parable (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366032-what-i-learned-gym-parable.html)

MIRecovery 04-30-2015 11:50 AM

What I learned at the gym. A parable

My muscles are sore today but I was thinking about how physical fitness and sobriety have so many parallels

This is going to take work and is a lifestyle change not a diet
If I am to get better it is going to hurt
I have to force myself to exercise even when I do not want to
I will have to do what people that are experts tell me to do
If I do not do it right I could really hurt myself
I will not be a hard body in a day and may never be
There will be people that inspire me like the really heavy guy who has lost 75 lbs but still has a 100 to go
There will be people that scare me like the heart attack victim who is there to save his life
There will be lessons learned from the hard body who looks great but is shallow and selfish
I do better when I hang out with people that make exercise a priority
Some days will be good and some bad
There will be days that I say this is just not worth it
I will learn new ideas and ways of doing things from people that have been successful.
There is tons of research and great books but I have to read them

One thing is for certain no amount of thinking and wishing is going to get me into the body I want

Soberwolf 04-30-2015 12:08 PM

Nice post Mir

TennantSmith 04-30-2015 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MIRecovery (Post 5346409)
My muscles are sore today but I was thinking about how physical fitness and sobriety have so many parallels

This is going to take work and is a lifestyle change not a diet
If I am to get better it is going to hurt
I have to force myself to exercise even when I do not want to
I will have to do what people that are experts tell me to do
If I do not do it right I could really hurt myself
I will not be a hard body in a day and may never be
There will be people that inspire me like the really heavy guy who has lost 75 lbs but still has a 100 to go
There will be people that scare me like the heart attack victim who is there to save his life
There will be lessons learned from the hard body who looks great but is shallow and selfish
I do better when I hang out with people that make exercise a priority
Some days will be good and some bad
There will be days that I say this is just not worth it
I will learn new ideas and ways of doing things from people that have been successful.
There is tons of research and great books but I have to read them

One thing is for certain no amount of thinking and wishing is going to get me into the body I want

Yes!! A million times yes!! Thank you for this.

FreeOwl 04-30-2015 12:19 PM

good one! real good.

JaneLane 04-30-2015 12:26 PM

I enjoyed this :-) My partner is a bodybuilder and his perseverance and dedication is inspiring to me!

Greggo1959 04-30-2015 12:30 PM

That was excellent. ...and very true. If we continue to put in the effort, results will come. And the added bonus of feeling better every day whilst on the journey.

PurpleKnight 04-30-2015 12:48 PM

Fantastic post MIR!! :You_Rock_

alphaomega 04-30-2015 12:59 PM

Good stuff friend !

Gonnachange 04-30-2015 01:01 PM

Great post.

JT0626 04-30-2015 01:03 PM

Excellent post! Thanks for posting!

MIRecovery 04-30-2015 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by TennantSmith (Post 5346431)
Yes!! A million times yes!! Thank you for this.

Now that is a Harry met Sally response

Thank you

SwimKim12 04-30-2015 03:11 PM

Great post, thank you. I am an athlete and I had that realization a few weeks back - recovering is going to be really hard just like training for a race takes mental and physical discipline. It really helped me put things in perspective.

Bmac 04-30-2015 03:19 PM

ARRGH! Any plans I may have harbored for an occasional half a$$ed workout have just been ruined. :ushup: