SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My journey begins (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366028-my-journey-begins.html)

julesonya 04-30-2015 09:59 AM

My journey begins

This is more for me to be held accountable for my actions and my progress. I truly appreciate everyone's support on this forum, it really helps. But like Z said, sometimes its nice to go back and remember how this all began and what it felt like going through detox, so the next time I think I should get black out drunk I have my journey in a place where once I log in I will have support to NOT drink.

Yesterday was Day 1. I had my last drink on Tuesday night at 9pm. By 2pm I was sweating a lot. Ive always been a sweat-er, I am always warm, so I guess before I never associated my drinking/lack of drinking with sweating.

I hopped on this forum asking for withdrawal advice, I dont have time to go to a doctor so I am going to taper. I am one of those people that has to go in baby steps. Plus I spent too much time on the internet freaking myself out over withdrawal symptoms.

I had a beer at 6:30 and didn't finish it until 8. Went to bed and thats when the rash broke out. I have had this happen before after 24 hrs without alcohol. I tossed and turned for about 2 more hours. I took some melatonin, had one more beer. Fell asleep for about 30 minutes but had some bad dreams so I was up again from 1-4. Then slept on and off until 8. I can deal with insomnia, I have dealt with it all my life.

This is a big success for me- I was drinking almost an entire box of wine in a night. Then waking up a starting all over with another box by 9am.

I am happy to report I havent had a drink today. Its almost noon where I am. My rash has somewhat subsided, but I took some benadryl so i dont know if that helped. Small victories

Anna 04-30-2015 10:32 AM

I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking. I hope tapering works for you, but it's good to be aware that, for most of us alcoholics, tapering does not work.

Let us know how you do today, and don't hesitate to talk to your dr if you're concerned.

NeilEvilDrummer 04-30-2015 10:34 AM

I am new here. I have 34 days sober and it gets easier.
The first two weeks were really bad. Eat sweets and keep up the good work

CeeFarro 04-30-2015 10:51 AM

I am on day number 4. My last drink was me pouring 2 shots of vodka into my juice in the morning because I had been so sick for days. Thankfully it was all I had and alcohol isn't easily accessible where I live or I would've drank more. I have gotten through the night sweats..That is my least favorite part of detox. Everyone says it gets easier. Good for you for even making the conscience effort to quit.

PurpleKnight 04-30-2015 11:15 AM

You can do this Julesonya!! Keep pushing through!! :)

julesonya 05-01-2015 09:35 AM

Day 2 - Wow. This is the first day I have woken up not drunk. Yesterday was Day 1 so I still drank a bottle of wine the night before, but this is a great feeling. I did not sleep well. First the dreams. I haven't dreamt in a long time. Not that they were bad dreams, but not the best. Second, night sweats! Now I am used to these, I have always had a warm body and sweat a lot at night but last night was insane. I had to get up in the middle of the night and change my clothes. My sheets were soaked. I didn't have these on night one so I thought I was in the clear. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? When I had my normal night sweats my doctor recommended wearing dri-wick clothes to bed. And does anyone jerk awake? I had this happen a few times and wasn't sure if its just me or part of the process.

I ended the day with 3 beers from 5pm-11pm. (I am on the taper method) I only grab one when I feel bad withdrawal coming on. And to be honest, it didnt even taste good. I felt like I was drinking away empty calories.

Speaking of calories. This alcohol bender that I have been on the last 2 years I went from 132 to 165. And 132 wasn't skinny fat, it was fit fat. I hate that I have a belly now. I used to have abs and great legs, now its just fat and cellulite. So what did I do? Well I went to the gym- walked for an hour & then used the steam room for a bit. I am excited to do it again. I also ate well yesterday (2 meals which is big for me) & even kicked off today with breakfast. I was usually too drunk to have breakfast or I slept until 10 and it seemed pointless.

So in just 48 hours- a lot of progress. One question, does anyone take vitamins? I've read a lot that alcohol does something to your B vitamin and Glutamine & vitamin C intake. I already take milk thistle.

48heath 05-01-2015 09:50 AM

Withdrawing from Alcohol can be very dangerous.The unexpected can happen with no warning.Are you doing this under medical supervision? If not I would advise getting medical advice.

ZaBoozer 05-01-2015 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by julesonya (Post 5347976)
Day 2 - Wow. This is the first day I have woken up not drunk. Yesterday was Day 1 so I still drank a bottle of wine the night before, but this is a great feeling. I did not sleep well. First the dreams. I haven't dreamt in a long time. Not that they were bad dreams, but not the best. Second, night sweats! Now I am used to these, I have always had a warm body and sweat a lot at night but last night was insane. I had to get up in the middle of the night and change my clothes. My sheets were soaked. I didn't have these on night one so I thought I was in the clear. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? When I had my normal night sweats my doctor recommended wearing dri-wick clothes to bed. And does anyone jerk awake? I had this happen a few times and wasn't sure if its just me or part of the process. I ended the day with 3 beers from 5pm-11pm. (I am on the taper method) I only grab one when I feel bad withdrawal coming on. And to be honest, it didnt even taste good. I felt like I was drinking away empty calories. Speaking of calories. This alcohol bender that I have been on the last 2 years I went from 132 to 165. And 132 wasn't skinny fat, it was fit fat. I hate that I have a belly now. I used to have abs and great legs, now its just fat and cellulite. So what did I do? Well I went to the gym- walked for an hour & then used the steam room for a bit. I am excited to do it again. I also ate well yesterday (2 meals which is big for me) & even kicked off today with breakfast. I was usually too drunk to have breakfast or I slept until 10 and it seemed pointless. So in just 48 hours- a lot of progress. One question, does anyone take vitamins? I've read a lot that alcohol does something to your B vitamin and Glutamine & vitamin C intake. I already take milk thistle.

Hey JS, congrats on day two. The sweats will pass. Not sure you can do anything about it. Jerking awake as you're just falling asleep? I only had that a few times, but it goes. For vitamins I take B12, milk thistle and a multivitamin tablet. Keep on keeping on.

buk1000 05-01-2015 12:38 PM

Keep it up Julesonya and CeeFarro. You're both doing great.

julesonya 05-02-2015 06:47 AM

Day 3 - Yesterday was my first alcohol free day in probably 2 years. I cannot believe it! I did it! This is so encouraging to know I can do this and that alcohol doesnt control me. I control it. Symptoms: my stomach was still bloated & crampy yesterday during the day, no shaking. I ate breakfast, lunch & dinner, I was even hungry enough for a snack in the afternoon. I enjoyed a sober night with my son. Sleep was still on & off, my night sweats woke me up. The combination of wet clothes and cold house, I just cant seem to get the temp right. The AV was trying to get me to have just one beer but I kept saying, its midnight, I've made it 24 hrs, no need to have one now. I took a benadryl and finally fell asleep for 2 hours straight. No crazy dreams, just restful sleeping. My munchkin and I slept until 7:45 this morning. Yesterday was a great day & it encourages me to make day 4 the same.

Pondlady 05-02-2015 06:53 AM

I'm glad you made it through your first day without drinking. Do you have any alcohol in the house? If you do I'd get rid of it, as having it there makes it easy to have " one beer".

ZaBoozer 05-02-2015 07:39 AM

Congrats on day three JS, chuck all the booze that you have in your house out. The sweats will pass quickly.

Soberwolf 05-02-2015 11:14 AM

Congrats on day 3

julesonya 05-02-2015 02:38 PM

No alcohol in the house. Way too tempting. And i cant go to the liquor store as my son would have to go with me. He had started calling it "mommys drink store". Awful

Dee74 05-02-2015 02:49 PM

congrats on day 3 Jules :)

D