Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

applying for Police constable job have to mention meds I am on?

Notices

applying for Police constable job have to mention meds I am on?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok guys, here is a good question.
I decided to change my career (professional photographer after 7 years in the job) and get back into the police force. In Holland I studied for police officer for one year but it was not the right time, I was 26 and life was a mess.

I now want to give it a go in Australia, being over 3 months sober, one thing is for sure I never want to drink again!! I have lost 16 kilos, my health is better than ever before, emotionally I'm doing really well, I work in retail as a second job, not earning much.

I feel stable enough to apply, I'm confident I can do this,my therapist agrees, she reckons that police auxiliary would be def. Something for me. I am of good character too. Never had a dui or been arrested, no records at all.

On the application forms they want go know if I have an illness and what meds I am on. I mentioned mild depression, but do I mention Naltrexone Google says it's to treat heroin/alcohol addiction, and Campral Google says to treat alcoholism.

Suppose I could always refer them to my therapist/psychologist who cn confirm that I am stable and doing great! She is incredibly impressed with me how well I am doing, not relapsing, no urges, strong character etc.

Is it anyone's business? Can I not mention these two meds in an application to become police officer? Is it lying? Can I ask my doc to not tell them? can I ask the detox clinic doc to keep it a secret?
I might most likely not even have a chance if they know I am an alco.
Like I said, I know one thing for sure and that is that I won't drink again. I am happy with my life now.
Only occasionally I think about a drink. My fitness is amazing! My blood pressure was 110/65 like an adolescent the doc told me my pulse was 63 in rest.
I will def. Pass the physical tests

All numbers are good, though I do still have fatty liver grrr.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the police force is one of those jobs where you really need to be totally scrupulously honest.

D
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ask your doctor for the answer to this complex question.

Mountainmanbob
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, i mean i could always refer them to my therapist from the detox clinic who can confirm my strong character and how well I am doing, no relapses, no urges, life under control. Etc

Im nearly 40 my career has to change, im earning little money cant liuveoff photography anymore need to think about my future
It's now or never
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Ask your doctor for the answer to this complex question.

Mountainmanbob
Yeah I'm going to ask my therapist
Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkGstring View Post
Yeah I'm going to ask my therapist
They should be able to tell you exactly how to handle this matter.

I retired from City government and understand how important it is not to mess the application process and interview up. If caught in a lie (which I have seen happen), only to be fired after being hired.

I had a record for pot when I was hired, but I was not hired as a police officer.

Good luck and don't give up. That's a good job with fair pay and usually carries with it a nice retirement at an early age. I retired at 55. Been drawing a nice monthly check for 9 years now.

My father also retired from City government (in another state) he was an Assistant Police Chief.

Mountainmanbob
Old 04-30-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Normally, I would say it is none of your employer's business but in the case of the PF, I think that it is important that you let them know. You would hate for it to come out later in course of doing your job.

I think it is a good idea to talk it over with your therapist further.

I like your enthusiasm for a change of career, but, I say this with the utmost respect for the job that the police do.
I have clients and friends in the police force, and my niece is a criminologist.

It is a tough job with high risks. Heavy alcohol use is common and accepted throughout our police force. PTSD is also very high in the police force...

IDK, it isn't the sort of pressure and conflict that I would like to put myself under daily. While some cope very well and actually thrive.

The other thing is ATM you would see the very happy side of life as a wedding photographer and as a PO you would be exposed to the saddest and the worse side of people.

It is a big decision with or without the med situation.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would discuss it with my therapist first. However I believe that you should not lie or ommit, doing so shows more of your character than anything that a therapist could say .

Good luck! I hope everything works out the way you want...
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

It is in your best interest to not lie or omit the truth. If you tell the truth, there is a chance the police department may not accept you now. BUT they may accept you later after you have more time sober. If you lie or omit the truth now, you may disqualify yourself from a potential career for life. Honesty is always the best policy.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with D Pgs
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, if it were me I'd wait until I was off the Naltrexone. It's not meant to be a long-term therapy, is it? A few months won't make that much difference in your future, and you will have been truthful, which is huge.

They may also ask you to do a drug test.

I wouldn't lie about this. It would always be on my conscience.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

In this case, as Dee said, I would be totally, unscrupulously honest.

Imagine the uproar down the road, if, as an officer you accidentally shot/killed someone. There are issues like that in the US at the moment, and I'm sure every stone in the officer's past life, is being turned over.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

I have spoken with my therapist, she said to be honest and mention the meds. I asked her if I could refer them to her if needed so she can give them an assesment of my personality and how well I am doing.
I truly believe I will not drink again, I pray for it. I am working incredibly hard on it. 106 days sober. At the clinic I smelled alcohol on someone it smelled grose. I absolutely hated the smell.
I have been a trainee cop before in Holland, liked it a lot though I felt I was too young. Not enough life experience.
Now 11 years later I feel I am ready.
Did my swimming test 200 m in 2 mins exactly. Not bad.
Working at K mart is not what I went to Uni for. I would like to make a difference in my community. I love living in the Alice. It is a totally crazy place, lots of alcohol issues.
Cops guearding the alcohol takeaway "Bottle O" shops. Wouldn't that be super Ironic, IF I would become a cop....... lol!

Anyways, Thank you all for your opinions.
I believe it is best to be brutally honest. Fact is I quit smoking 8 years ago, I quit drinking, I lost about 16-17 kilos (still going lol) I have two jobs.... I think I can handle this and my family thinks I will make a good c op.
Can only pray for the best.

xxxx