Notices

😩

Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mary2

😩

Day 3 again. I drank from thur till mon... Secretly in mugs.. Made an idiot of myself on the Friday then my friend, I say that lightly, came over and was so loud I'm sure my neighbour will put in a complaint. My sons came back on the Sunday from their dads so I toned it down but felt I had to drink so as not to panic. Worked tue wed 2 long shifts with major anxiety. Today I am exhausted... Still scared... Random pains... House still a mess and still have major guilt about drinking with kids there.... That's nothing new though but it has to stop. I'm mentally exhausted xxx
Old 04-30-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Do you want to stop for good?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mary2

Yes I really do... I don't want the hangovers. My kids deserve more. I do ok and relapse I need a solid focus which is my boys xx
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Hez.

Maybe you need a better defined recovery plan?

There are some good ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mary2

Thanks kindly Dee xxx
Old 04-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a vicious cycle. Anxiety gets worse from drinking - I know this first hand. Living sober is so much better. I needed help from a doctor to get my anxiety under control and then I decided to get sober. You can do this ...it isnt easy but it is so worth it!!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Anxiety was awful for me while I was still drinking. Only time I felt okay was while under the influence. It took a while but after quitting the anxiety calmed way down for me. It is still present but so much more tolerable now. The first 2 months were very hard for me but I never want to be in that bad situation again.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol-related anxiety and panic attacks are a large part of why I quit drinking. It got so bad at the end. It would come out of nowhere at times and turn on like a switch. Other times it started in the morning and built up gradually. Eventually the attacks happened with drinking- the booze didn't even hide it or prevent it anymore. It caused the anxiety and panic. When that started, coupled with worries about what would happen to my health, I said "I'm done." I discovered SR and haven't had a drink in 5 months. The anxiety stopped once I stopped drinking. If you can make it a couple of weeks/a month- get out of that difficult stretch- it will be easier to live without alcohol in your life. Who wants to live like that? Fear and dread hitting you in the middle of the day at work after a binge? On your way home from work? That's no way to go through life. Now my life is so much better. There's no compare. Drinking gives nothing- it takes. My life is fuller, I'm more productive and proactive, I have more time to do things I enjoy. The list goes on and on.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I echo a lot of this. I too used alcohol to manage anxiety, but in time, the alcohol started causing it. Withdrawal? I started drinking in the morning. After the first few difficult days of sobriety, I started to feel normal -- no longer needed the booze to start the day. The anxiety does ease. Just gotta not pick up that first drink. The first drink is the easiest to say no to, yes?

p.s. I drank from coffee mugs too...
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agree with all the above. My plan was:

1. Don't pick up the first drink
2. Have a plan of what to do to distract and stay busy
3. Have a plan what to say to those who want you to drink with them ("No, thanks," is all that's needed.)
4. Read recovery material, either here or in books
5. A daily Gratitude list was essential for my mental health

It's not going to be easy, you're going to be uncomfortable for a few days, then there will be a long period of healing - months. If you are drinking a lot, you may want to discuss detoxing with a health professional.

You can do it, and you'll be glad you did. You'll never be glad you drank.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Hez!!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Back Hez!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Alcohol-related anxiety and panic attacks are a large part of why I quit drinking. It got so bad at the end. It would come out of nowhere at times and turn on like a switch. Other times it started in the morning and built up gradually. Eventually the attacks happened with drinking- the booze didn't even hide it or prevent it anymore. It caused the anxiety and panic. When that started, coupled with worries about what would happen to my health, I said "I'm done." I discovered SR and haven't had a drink in 5 months. The anxiety stopped once I stopped drinking. If you can make it a couple of weeks/a month- get out of that difficult stretch- it will be easier to live without alcohol in your life. Who wants to live like that? Fear and dread hitting you in the middle of the day at work after a binge? On your way home from work? That's no way to go through life. Now my life is so much better. There's no compare. Drinking gives nothing- it takes. My life is fuller, I'm more productive and proactive, I have more time to do things I enjoy. The list goes on and on.
I feel like we went through almost the same symptoms. It is comforting to find I am not alone.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mary2

Thanks to all. Day 3 over managed a shower... Took another anxiety attack at boys school paranoia... Anyway thanks all I have plans set for week end and I must get some reading materials ... Any suggestions xxx