Notices

Life in the Big City

Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life in the Big City

I recently went back to work and find that after work, errands, and chores, I have little time left for fun or reflection. Perhaps I just still need time to adjust and do things more efficiently, but here it is only Thursday morning and I've got no energy or drive left.

And there are the usual big city stresses like traffic.

I hope I can find time to add daily meditation to my routine. So far, I am mostly resisting the temptation to rush around. I just try to stay calm and get things done slowly and carefully once I get home.

So, how do the rest of you cope with life in the big city? I have dreams of retiring somewhere rural.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to make 'me time' GHD. Sometimes I get up early to do just that, but you can also move other things around with a little prioritisation and forethought?

I really think balance is that important

I hope you'll find yourself less tired once you get used to working again though

D
Old 04-30-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I need to give myself permission to demand some me time, and I need to learn to plan fun activities ahead of time.

I do get up early...helps a lot.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
So, how do the rest of you cope with life in the big city?
You're not going to like my answer. I used to live in a luxury condo in downtown Vancouver (one of the most expensive cities in the world), then moved to a somewhat rural community in NE Thailand. Stress problems solved, lol

Created a whole new range of problems though, so not sure if I would recommend it.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I lived in Midtown Manhattan and now live in the suburbs of NYC, I don't think where I lived had much impact on my drinking, if I wanted to drink I always found it. Stress I would say is also about the same, I just had to learn healthy ways to deal with it.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to live in the big city, and I loved it! I didn't need a car, I walked, used the subway or a taxi to get everywhere. I also lived by a rather large park and spent many weekends there with the kids, biking, feeding ducks, etc. I had a good job and I didn't feel stressed, mind you, we ate out alot! No time to cook, unless we ate at 9pm. I kind of miss the hustle and bustle now, but I wouldn't trade the quiet serene life of rural living now.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I live in a suburb of Dallas, but it all runs together into one huge metroplex. We have grown exponentially since I moved here in 1982. And Dallas is still one of the fastest growing cities in the US. I loved it when I first moved here, but 33 years on, I have grown weary of the traffic, ozone days, crime and all that. I would like to retire to a smaller town at some point. My saving grace is that I don't have to drive to get to work. I just walk from my bedroom to the computer. No fuss no muss.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's important to make 'me time' GHD. Sometimes I get up early to do just that, but you can also move other things around with a little prioritisation and forethought?

I really think balance is that important

I hope you'll find yourself less tired once you get used to working again though

D
This 5000%
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
I used to live in the big city, and I loved it! I didn't need a car, I walked, used the subway or a taxi to get everywhere. I also lived by a rather large park and spent many weekends there with the kids, biking, feeding ducks, etc. I had a good job and I didn't feel stressed, mind you, we ate out alot! No time to cook, unless we ate at 9pm. I kind of miss the hustle and bustle now, but I wouldn't trade the quiet serene life of rural living now.
I'm in a worst of both worlds situation. I have to drive and park in a garage near the metro.

I am learning that cooking every night is not reasonable.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I live in a suburb of Dallas, but it all runs together into one huge metroplex. We have grown exponentially since I moved here in 1982. And Dallas is still one of the fastest growing cities in the US. I loved it when I first moved here, but 33 years on, I have grown weary of the traffic, ozone days, crime and all that. I would like to retire to a smaller town at some point. My saving grace is that I don't have to drive to get to work. I just walk from my bedroom to the computer. No fuss no muss.
I am in a suburb too, but it is getting very urban at this point. Lots of high rise buildings. I am in a single-family house. I do like the serenity of my backyard garden.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Court jester

One of my spiritual teachers once said that he would often meditate for a few minutes at a time while sitting at red lights. He said he was not concerned about when the light turned green as there was always someone behind who was quick to remind him.