Notices

Am I enabling my child's bad behavior?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

She has always been a really dramatic child, but now that she is here all of the time I have noticed patterns in it. It is like if she is unhappy she wants to make everyone around her miserable. We have been consistent with the punishment so far, because it has always been the same. I put her in the corner, and the timer doesn't start until she quits screaming and then it gets turned on for a minute per year of age. Which is now 7. We take toys as well, and at one point had to clear every toy from her room, because little by little she lost them all. And she has tons of things so it took a lot of bad behavior to come to that. But when the party punishment came up I think it upset me more than her. I do think it shows her that we will not cave, and her having to be good to earn it back is a lesson in being rewarded, but I felt it was a bit much. I mean it is her birthday so it is hard to not want to just give her w/e she wants. And yes I do read to her at night, and we have "family activities" which usually are coloring, drawing, animal balloons, ect. But I have noticed with her that even those tend to turn into her saying I am the boss of the project you have to listen to me. Which I do not play along with. I think we are in a power struggle right now with her. I refuse to have an out of control teenager. I was one, and that was because my parents were not home much and one day something may be ok but do it when my dad was drunk, and it meant getting beat. I have my own way of correcting her, w/o senseless beating that never taught me a damn thing, but I am wondering if they are to easy. (not asking if I should beat her) I did take her computer last Friday, which to her is a huge deal, but 2 days later she had another fit. I do not know how to get her to just respect that no is no, and she can not have every toy or thing that she wants.