Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just found the arcade!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Drummer5000 View Post
I just found the arcade!
You should also know about the "24-Hour Recovery Connections" thread, and join the "Class of April, 2015" thread. THEN you can go play in the Arcade!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5340199

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5334675
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone btw, for all the advice, information, and ready support. I appreciate it and really hope to overcome this crap.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Ok im posting here, confused how to keep up with everything though.
Just know that ANY time spent here at SoberRecovery is better than time spent drinking!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In the meetings I attend talk about specific religions is discouraged. Talk about your higher power/God is encouraged. Many in AA have had very negative experiences with organized religion but are the most spiritual people I know.

AA is the most diverse group of people you will ever meet but together we stay sober
Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Thank you everyone btw, for all the advice, information, and ready support. I appreciate it and really hope to overcome this crap.
We really never overcome alcoholism we just learn how to coexist with it and not drink
Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Drummer - welcome here. I'm glad you posted. I think you may be a good candidate for the AA 12 step program.

My Christian faith is very important to me, and what I can tell you is the 12 steps of the AA program can be well aligned with traditional Christian theology. In the context of alcoholism as the result of a spiritual malady, they consist of a progression through an acknowledgement of our sinful state and condition, a recognition of our need for God, and a full surrender to Him. The steps then move into repentance through a rigorous self-examination which leads to a full confession to God and a fellow human and then into a process of restitution for past hurts we have caused. The final steps are about entering a process of ongoing sanctification and spreading the good news to others who are in need.

Rob Bell writes in his book What We Talk About When We Talk About God that if someone wants a real experience of God they should attend an AA meeting. I was initially skeptical of AA but he's right on the money. In a good AA meeting all the window dressing and false pretenses get stripped away and you can experience a whole other way of being human. Sometimes the sense is almost palpable.

I wish you all the best. You can have lasting victory over this.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Reasons I want to quit.

My marriage hurts when I drink.

I am sure it is hurting my health.

I am convicted by the Holy Spirit to quit, and cannot stand before God when I drink.

I am studying to be a pastor at a seminary.

So... How do I start. Things I've tried

I told my wife I had snuck alcohol and she got pretty mad. I have told her before that I was trying to quit and at this point she is losing hope in me. She is pretty sick of dealing with it at all.

I have a good friend who can keep me accountable and has been, but it doesn't really help a ton.

I've never done AA or anything like it but may consider it, although I am incredibly busy with studies. Help me!
Welcome, glad you're here!I

I have a friend in AA who is a pastor. He had completed seminary and did a couple tours in Afghanistan as well. All that was before he found AA - Without this guy I doubt I would be sober today. He got me through my first few months with daily visits / coffee and talk.

My friend is approaching two years sobriety - I am at almost a year.
We have supported each other - sobriety allowed me to finish a degree started many, many years ago. My friend was so inspired he started PHD work.

Today I read in Oswald Chambers about gracious uncertainty. Without knowing what will happen, we have faith in His grace.......
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

Sobriety changes everything - you can help so many with your pastoral completion. AA will be a blessing for you and those that God puts in your path, I am sure. So many need your guidance.

Peace be with us all on our journey's. Hope you find your way.
God could and would if He were sought.........
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Happy to give you some insight on Celebrate Recovery. I am a Christian and I tried AA. It wasn't for me. After 5 years of going in and out of Celebrate Recovery at my church, I was welcomed back with open arms when I hit rock bottom in February.
Celebrate Recovery bases their program on the AA 12 steps but with a Christian perspective. I am now in a 12 step study and it's been life changing.
Our meeting formats start with worship time, large group meeting - either is a 12-step lesson or testimony and then we break out into small groups, gender specific according to issue. (i.e. addiction, life issues). Afterwards, there is usually a coffee social time.
By the grace of God, I am 68 days sober. I'll be praying for you! One day at a time....