SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hissy fit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365946-hissy-fit.html)

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 05:35 AM

Hissy fit

I had a melt down last night (not the drink). :c004: Just a major hissy. I dunno why... just felt over whelmed and angry. I screamed into my pillow as my mom taught me to do when I was a kid. Threw some things about the house (nothing breakable). What was that all about? Anything to do with early sobriety?

Nonsensical 04-29-2015 05:40 AM

Maybe.

Maybe you were just feeling angry and overwhelmed. I think there's a word for that. I think it's called life.

Of course, I'd be angry if I were a Michigan fan, too. :)

amandamarie 04-29-2015 05:47 AM

I have had 2 bad mood swings in the past 10 days of not drinking. I think it just part of the process. Since I quit drinking, and I can think more clearly I remember so many dumb things that I did, and so many bad things that happened to me over the years that I get angry, sad, and anxious. Just remember when they come to stay positive if you can, because it will pass.

Change4good 04-29-2015 05:50 AM

I think you just had a bad day. We all have them.

Funny thing is, I began questioning EVERY mood when I became sober, because I forgot that you have highs and lows even without the drink.

Hope today is better. (Oh, and kick boxing can be super cathartic. No pillow required. :-) )

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 5344154)
Of course, I'd be angry if I were a Michigan fan, too. :)

Believe me, I was!

But we found our savior and redeemer Jim-bo!

(clouds part and angels weep)

FeelingGreat 04-29-2015 05:54 AM

You can usually track the source down if you think about it carefully.

FreeOwl 04-29-2015 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5344143)
I had a melt down last night (not the drink). :c004: Just a major hissy. I dunno why... just felt over whelmed and angry. I screamed into my pillow as my mom taught me to do when I was a kid. Threw some things about the house (nothing breakable). What was that all about? Anything to do with early sobriety?

I think it matters less what it was about than what you did with it...

you vented your emotions clearly in an appropriate way.

you didn't drink over it.

you acknowledged it, you let it come forth and be what it was, then you shared about it with a supportive group of friends.

WELL DONE.

That's good sobriety right there.

:ring

PS - GO RANGERS!!! lol

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 05:56 AM

Thanks ... I just felt a bit out of control and it was scary.

Rangers - so sad.

FreeOwl 04-29-2015 06:01 AM

I know...

I'm in Dallas for work and they took us out to the old ball game last night.

It was fun but too bad they didn't pull it out....

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 06:03 AM

Kind of nippy out there wasn't it?

FreeOwl 04-29-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5344187)
Kind of nippy out there wasn't it?

I'm from Michigan.... it was gorgeous. lol.

Soberwolf 04-29-2015 06:18 AM

Art i promise you read the chimp paradox it will really help

MIRecovery 04-29-2015 06:23 AM

Just a guess but I would say it was your addiction having the fit. You left your lover and your lover is not one bit happy. The solution is to take out a restraining order and have no contact indefinitely

BeBetterforkids 04-29-2015 06:29 AM

I have mood swings almost every night. I usually need to go to my bedroom for a few minutes and come to grips with why I am really pissed off. I don't like to take out my "I want alcohol" swings on my family. My husband is very good with my "venting" LOL

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by MIRecovery (Post 5344215)
Just a guess but I would say it was your addiction having the fit. You left your lover and your lover is not one bit happy. The solution is to take out a restraining order and have no contact indefinitely

yeah... and he was an ugly lover too. Never sent roses, remembered my birthday, put the toilet seat down.

SoberLeigh 04-29-2015 06:40 AM

Leaving my old coping tool behind (especially when I used it for everything good, bad and in between) left me on the edge more than once.

You will adjust and be okay, my friend; you will be so much better than okay, I promise.

TennantSmith 04-29-2015 06:45 AM

I have those as well. Usually, for me, they show up around the time when my AV is tired of being ignored, lol. I work my plan and get past it.

Other times, like yesterday, it's because Tuesday just decided to be stressful. I'm a big believer in the pillow punches. It does help a lot.

MIRecovery 04-29-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5344235)
yeah... and he was an ugly lover too. Never sent roses, remembered my birthday, put the toilet seat down.

When we come to realize our lover wants us dead he loses a lot of his appeal even if he does put the toilet seat down

gettingsmarter 04-29-2015 07:01 AM

Hey Art,

Last night I had a dream in which I was yelling at everyone close to me and smashing whatever object was closest to me. I was in a rage and it seemed to last all night. Woke up exhausted. Think it might have been kind of the same thing manifested in a different way.

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter (Post 5344294)
Hey Art,

Last night I had a dream in which I was yelling at everyone close to me and smashing whatever object was closest to me. I was in a rage and it seemed to last all night. Woke up exhausted. Think it might have been kind of the same thing manifested in a different way.

And we are both in Texas...hhhhhmmmmm. Maybe it is the water? ;)