Notices

Where are you going?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where are you going?

As we go through our daily lives, do we often wonder, "Is this all there is? Are we chasing after nothing? Are we just ants doing the same thing day after day with no way out of our seemingly boxed in life?"

I was like that when I was getting drunk daily. I didn't aspire to be anything except ready for the next day. The problem with that is no preparation was required because it was the same thing day after day.

Get through the day so I could drink as soon as I got home, or if I didn't have to go to work, head straight for the garage where I kept my beer and vodka. It is sad to report that when I stopped for a case of beer on the way home, I'd be on my second one by the time I arrived home - 3 miles away. Amazingly sad when I think about it.

It doesn't have to be like that any more. Once your head is clear from the daily routine of drinking you can now focus on living YOUR life. Do the things YOU want to do. Sure it takes a little effort to remove yourself from the daily grind. You have to be able to separate yourself from the necessary things we must do survive and make room for the things we enjoy. It can be done. Train yourself to start enjoying life. Live life rather than just exist. So many of us just exist. Time to get away from that. No more living inside that box, no more being just another ant in the line marching along...

As you work your way through the middle of the week, don't become burdened by the thought that you are just a hamster in a wheel. Start planning for yourself. Be who you want to be. You don't have to be a slave to the drink - you're not. And now that you are free, use your freedom. Don't just exist. Live!
Happy Hump Day!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a really uplifting post, Brain :-)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Thanks LBrain. I just got to work and was surfing SR a little and found your post which MADE MY DAY!!! Thank you so very much. I like that Dave Matthews song too.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Post LBrain. Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sobriety for me approaching a year has a true level of anything is possible!
Quit the drink, tossed the butts - eating much better (losing some weight) and generally contributing more to society and those around me

Removing alcohol and other substances from our biology and not only from our daily existence, but for those loved ones around us changes everything!

Go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do - baby!
Great Thread LB~
Good vibe!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Something tells me you have some Pastor blood in ya LBrain! Great post man!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I used to have too many hours in the day, so I filled that extra time with drinking.

Now I don't have enough hours in the day. There's no time to drink even if I wanted to!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, amazing post, and even better song. Thanks, LBrain!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's the other thing....

Whenever we find ourselves focused on 'where am I GoInG?' Or 'is this all there IS??'

I have found that to be a great time to just stop and look deeply at how amazing, wonderful and miraculous all that this IS is......

Where we are going is good to envision.

But so is where we ARE.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love this, Brain, and relate a lot. It took a little while, but my sober life now is quite in that dimension of existence.... khmm... living.

"Where are you going" -- for example, will cross some lands to Europe and Asia again soon. Mentally pretty much all over the map everyday, but no longer on a crazy astral plane or on a roller coaster, just my own jet enjoying the flight. No booze for fuel ever again!

Glad to see this upbeat post from you, friend
Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is exactly what I needed to read this morning.

When I was drinking, life was drink, promise not to drink, drink, promise not to drink. I really never got too far beyond that.

Now, it's more. So so much more. It's beautiful, messy, sometimes quiet and exactly how it should be.

As I posted before, about one of my last night's in the bar: I was sitting there. The front door of the bar was open to let in a breeze. Outside of the bar is a park and a walking trail. It was a beautiful day. Both the trail and the park was full. I was sitting on a bar stool. The bar was mostly empty with a sports commentator speaking in the background. The bartender was halfway slumped over the bar, looking outside. The other gentleman was starting at his cigarette, either to avoid looking outside or because there was nothing else to do. I took a drink of my beer. The contrast between those outside and those of us inside was startling.

I almost felt, in that moment, as if I was in a scene of a movie where a person is trapped and though he screams, pounds at the door, begs for help, no one can hear him. Outside, as he continues to fight to get out, he sees people going about their lives. People reuniting at the end of the day with those they love; kids running around, screaming and laughing.

It was then that I realized that while, in the beginning, I thought alcohol gave me a life, I'd have to quit to finally find it.

Good post. Very thought provoking.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks brain...this is so true. And it's why amazing things happen in our lives once we stop drinking. We take life to a higher level, become more productive, and get things done.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post L (as always)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post LB.

I can completely relate to everything you shared... Including already being on my second or third beer / shot prior to getting home every night! Glad we are not there any more!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, Brain. This is an awesome post. I still felt like the marcher ant when I was newer in sobriety. At the 3 to 6 month mark. But I kept plugging away for the promise that even if this was all there is, it was still better sober than drunk with no chance. It got better and there isn't enough time in the day now.

TS, that is a very powerful post and I can see the scene in my head. All it's missing is the smell of stale beer and tobacco. Lonely. Waiting for life to happen to us instead of living it.

Thank you all.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Something tells me you have some Pastor blood in ya LBrain! Great post man!
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Here's the other thing....

Whenever we find ourselves focused on 'where am I GoInG?' Or 'is this all there IS??'

I have found that to be a great time to just stop and look deeply at how amazing, wonderful and miraculous all that this IS is......

Where we are going is good to envision.

But so is where we ARE.
Hmmm, Preacher might just be a good nickname for our friend LBrain! Love it!

In a reading I did today it suggested that when we have "peace" we achieve a level of gracious uncertainty in our lives. We don't know what will happen today or tomorrow but regardless we are looking forward to whatever comes.

Thought this was poignant and it hit home.......maybe on point with what FreeOwl is discussing.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post Brian!! My new favourite day of the week!!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Amazing post LB. I really do think "is that it?" sometimes. I must learn to do something constructive now I have a little bit of sobriety
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Beautiful, Brain!
And one of my all time favorite songs!