SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Tapering second time (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365899-tapering-second-time.html)

hopscotch123 04-28-2015 04:48 PM

Tapering second time

Managed to cut down on day 5 to just 2 beers and a glass of wine.

Thought I could nip to the pub and have one with friends on Friday...ended up a long weekend.

Anxiety back, and going down the same route but lesson learned is no pub.

greens 04-28-2015 04:54 PM

Lesson learned ☺

Anna 04-28-2015 05:13 PM

Tapering always went that way for me. I'd cut down and then I'd lose it. Stopping was so much easier.

Dee74 04-28-2015 05:25 PM

Are you trying for total sobriety hopscotch - or still hoping deep down to become a moderate drinker?

Soberwolf 04-28-2015 05:26 PM

Try Abstinence rather than tapering a 2nd time if it didnt work it didnt work

bigsombrero 04-28-2015 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 (Post 5343255)
Anxiety back, and going down the same route but lesson learned is no pub.

Maybe the lesson learned is that you shouldn't keep drinking every night because you're never going to stop? Tapering is essentially telling someone who can't control their drinking....to control their drinking. Not to mention the re-enforcement of the "drinking as a reward" problem.

Maybe you can't quit drinking by continuing to drink? We all know quitting is hard - we've been there man. But give yourself a chance. Remember what awaits you if you keep going down this road and how much you have to gain long-term by just kicking the drink altogether. Good luck.

hopscotch123 05-14-2015 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5343315)
Are you trying for total sobriety hopscotch - or still hoping deep down to become a moderate drinker?

Total sobriety. Doctors again tomorrow :)

Different one this time as last time I was just told to keep drinking and given a phone number for a local program. Problem is that my anxiety is terrible and I cannot attend group sessions so I am after a home detox with librium or whatever.

I know I can do it, its the anxiety/ panic attacks that cause me to drink. Anxiety is so intense its unreal and the only thing I can stop it with is booze.

least 05-14-2015 11:54 AM

The problem is, that drinking makes the anxiety so much worse. :( I hope you can get sober for good. Tapering only prolongs the misery. :(

Anna 05-14-2015 12:01 PM

Yes, I know how awful anxiety attacks are, but alcohol worsens the effect.

I'm glad you're going to talk to your dr.

TroyW 05-14-2015 12:07 PM

Tapering always worked out splendidly for me.

(that was sarcastic)

ScottFromWI 05-14-2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 (Post 5371116)
I know I can do it, its the anxiety/ panic attacks that cause me to drink. .

The alcohol actually causes the panic attacks/anxiety...your addiction is what causes you to drink.

Glad you are seeing a different doc...make sure you share all the details of the anxiety and panic too....hopefully they can help you come up with a better plan.

site1Q84 05-14-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 (Post 5371116)

I know I can do it, its the anxiety/ panic attacks that cause me to drink. Anxiety is so intense its unreal and the only thing I can stop it with is booze.

Have you tried anything else to stop it? Or does it seem like booze is the only answer because that's how you've been fixing it for so long?

Maybe explain your anxiety to the Doctor while you're there and see if they can help.

hopscotch123 05-14-2015 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5371146)
Have you tried anything else to stop it? Or does it seem like booze is the only answer because that's how you've been fixing it for so long?

Maybe explain your anxiety to the Doctor while you're there and see if they can help.

Thanks to the support from you girls/guys.

I was put on a anti-depressant after going to the doc's about it after I spent months wondering what was wrong with me, I didn't tell anyone, not even my ex girlfriend, I honestly had no idea what was going wrong.

I Stopped the anti things after two weeks as I had horrible side effects. I will never take them again.

I just know that no booze=no anxiety and that means no booze. I was a massive binge drinker before it started (like nearly all my friends).

ZaBoozer 05-14-2015 12:31 PM

Hey HS,

I don't think anti depressants would work while you are drinking. Your brain chemistry is so shot from the booze that I think the side effects would be bad. I think you should give the AD thing a chance again - once you have some sober time and only if you need it.

TroyW 05-14-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 (Post 5371158)
I was put on a anti-depressant after going to the doc's about it after I spent months wondering what was wrong with me, I didn't tell anyone, not even my ex girlfriend, I honestly had no idea what was going wrong.

I probably harp on this too much, but what is your diet like? What do you eat on an average day?

Believe it or not, your diet will (generally) affect your emotional state tremendously. Make sure to get lots of greens, and don't eat fast food or pre-processed crap out of a box.

hopscotch123 05-14-2015 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TroyW (Post 5371190)
I probably harp on this too much, but what is your diet like? What do you eat on an average day?

Believe it or not, your diet will (generally) affect your emotional state tremendously. Make sure to get lots of greens, and don't eat fast food or pre-processed crap out of a box.

My diet is fantastic. Fibre in the morning, no coffee or tea anymore (wow I miss a cup of tea!). I eat very well. Red Meat, white meat, fish and veg. My favourite meal is lobster or crab.

I am lucky enough to live where the nearest takeaway is 20 min away.

Yazzylove 05-14-2015 01:40 PM

I'm depressed! I was given AD ( wellbutrin) and was drinking and taking ADs at the same time. I would say 'this stuff doesn't work...' It's seriously when I quit the booze and really gave this sobriety a shot that I could really see the difference! I also have major anxiety as well!

Not saying that it is a miracle but it has helped me a whole lot! With cravings and all! But trust me, you gotta put the booze down if you are serious about turning things around! Alcohol causes depression and anxiety, and like I said in another post, we want to be happy right? Well drinking won't get us there!!

chickippo 05-14-2015 01:59 PM

my drinking really ramped up when i started having really bad anxiety attacks. i convinced myself booze was the only thing that could stop it.

my life was an absolute wreck by the time i stopped. i'm just over a year now - i do take medication every day but now i give it a chance to work i am doing ok. my mental health kicks my arse every day - if i take my meds and don't drink i'm ok.

be well.

hopscotch123 05-15-2015 05:49 AM

Just spoke with the doctor (via phone) who was very understanding. Im going to be prescribed something for a home detox by the sounds of it. Its exactly what I need and have known that for a while.

Anxiety today is crippling me as usual after yesterday. Horrible vicious circle. No shakes or anything, just terrible anxiety. I just need that little help.

GnikNus 05-15-2015 06:22 AM

Panic and anxiety attacks were what finally convinced me to quit drinking for good. I was tired of those feeling of doom/impending death. After I quit drinking, the attacks went away.