SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   record and volunteering (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365898-record-volunteering.html)

Alynn 04-28-2015 04:47 PM

record and volunteering

Hey all!

Question. My girl will be starting Kindergarten in August and I need to feel out a volunteer form. They check your record. I was arrested in March 2013. I do not have a DUI but a reckless driving. I'm just worried that the arrest will be enough to deny me.. Your thoughts??? Gosh just writing that makes me sick to my stomach. :( Guess I can't change the past though.

Side note. Day 75 and doing pretty well. It's usually around this time that the AV starts saying "ok it's been a few months, your are good now" I made to 89 days last time.

TroyW 04-28-2015 05:00 PM

Depends on the school I guess, but I don't see why you'd be denied for a reckless driving charge. You probably won't get put in charge of a car pool or anything, but aside from that, should be fine. I think most of those background checks are just to ensure you're not a child molester, and things like that.

TennantSmith 04-28-2015 05:08 PM

I agree with Troy. Any background check I've had done is checking for felonies and charges specific to abuse towards child/elderly. Our state has a child safety registry and they make sure you are not on it.

I have a DWI that was removed from my record after doing the requirements set up for suspended sentence. However, I've always been open about it and never had a problem.

But most likely, you are going to be okay

(((((HUGS))))))

Anna 04-28-2015 05:12 PM

Try to not feel bad. And, let it be known at the school that you are willing to help out with field trips, bake sales and all the usual stuff. I have so many good memories of the years of volunteering at my kids schools.

Dee74 04-28-2015 05:27 PM

I'm not sure what the law is where you are alynn but I'd be surprised if you were disqualified on those grounds.

D

Soberwolf 04-28-2015 05:30 PM

Same as D i dont what the rules are good luck Alynn ((()))

Alynn 04-28-2015 07:26 PM

Thank you guys!

FreeOwl 04-28-2015 08:51 PM

I have two DUIs on my record and have been cleared to volunteer in my daughters' classrooms. They are looking for violations relevant to your safety around children. A driving record isn't relevant and if you've not had further issues and served your sentences then it should really be no issue.

JaneLane 04-29-2015 01:32 AM

I don't know about the DUIs but I just wanted to say congratulations on your sobriety. This is an achievement and you can do it :-)

MelindaFlowers 04-29-2015 01:49 AM

I used to work in a school and we had one dad volunteering to work off his community service hours. I think you'll be fine.

FreeOwl 04-29-2015 05:49 AM

another thought; if you're really concerned about knowing up front and if you're in the US - you should be able to simply ask for the school district's background check policy.

If you're dealing with a public school - then these are public entities and subject to FOIA, so in the event you had any issue getting clear policy information from the school you could simply FOIA the specific policy about background checks and what precludes a person from working in the school as a volunteer.

Any concerned parent would have a right to this information if interested in understanding clearly who is permitted to work in their children's school - you wouldn't even have to make it specifically about you.