Notices

We are not carrying our weight.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I sometimes feel like I'm not "pulling my weight". I'm here quite a bit but I sometimes get busy with work, school or just life in general and kind of "slack off" a bit. Generally there are others that pick up the slack, and I think we have a great group of people here.

Biggest issue is that I wish I could respond to about 100 posts per day! Sadly there's just not enough MoS to go around! So I respond to as many as I can with a special effort made to reach out to those who are hurting or not getting any responses.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Neither Anna or I see any reason for this thread to be deleted.
If you're going make statements like this, I think its reasonable to expect you stand behind them.

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
We can do more. More for the new, more for the experienced. There is more we can do.
like what, Trach?

D
Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
I thank everyone for what help and support they can offer. I need all I can get. If they are not in the majority of the populace, so be it.

I will hear and consider everyone!...and Thank them for efforts to reach out to me with help and hope.

Things are getting rough for ole' Dave.

DD
I'm sorry to hear things are still rough.

What are you doing yourself to stop drinking Dave?

D
Old 04-28-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Trach

I'm sorry you feel this way but as someone newly sober and keen to help any other newly sober people, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I find this community really supportive and it's part of my recovery plan.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Define more.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think my comments are mostly constructive , i think i've helped a few people and not intentionally harmed anyone if i can help it .

My way isn't the way for everyone , what i have to say isn't useful for everyone and i'm just fine and dandy about that , we're all different .

Wanting to do more is great , inspiring by example is what i try to do as that is what i found useful in others .

Keep on Trach, ring out the freedom bell of clarity and sobriety for all .

m
Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think Trachs was coming from a good place meaning no harm and might
have been misread
Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to positively impact even more people than we do, Trachs. I wish we could help everyone. I hate it when people post and then aren't reached no matter how hard we try.

Yet, the glass is half full. Suffering knuckleheads like you and I joined here and got better. Today we have the opportunity to help someone else find freedom and peace. That is a very encouraging thought.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just for the record i think the collective effort of this site is outstanding & amazing

Glad to be a part of the best community i know
Old 04-28-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to positively impact even more people than we do, Trachs. I wish we could help everyone. I hate it when people post and then aren't reached no matter how hard we try.

Yet, the glass is half full. Suffering knuckleheads like you and I joined here and got better. Today we have the opportunity to help someone else find freedom and peace. That is a very encouraging thought.
And as hard as it can be for me to accept, not everyone will get and stay clean and sober no matter how much we Try to help.

I read a lot of poeple reaching out with their E,S,H in every thread. There are those,too,who have gotten clean and sober and are doing great who can't make helping others their sole vocation.
I'm just glad they're clean and sober.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

OK I will admit it here. Yes, I fall short many times with the helping of newcomers. To be honest, I also fall short in many other areas of my life. As a father and husband and friend and neighbor, I'am not 100 % all in at all times (no). Let's remember, not one is perfect.

Now is this a reason or excuse not to try our best - of course not.

MM
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Do more? Short of buying airline tickets and going to visit SR members in their struggles, I'm not sure that's possible. This forum helped me get and keeps me sober. I feel no shortage of help on this site if I need it.

I'm not sure what's inspired you to think that people on this site are not doing enough to help others, but I feel there is an abundance of help and helpful people here. I say that as a newcomer myself.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself, but the SR community has made all the difference in me being sober and me being drunk.

I never thought I had it in me to live a sober life, never through I was strong enough until i stumbled onto this site. The first days I read and read and read... I found I wasn't alone and I could possibly overcome this terrible lifestyle that I had gotten myself into.

I'm still early in my sobriety at 294 days, but everyone on this site has helped me stay sober.

Weather I have time to post or just to read, this site and our community has made a BIG difference in my life.

I try to help in the newcomer's forum when I can. I know it's not enough, but It's what I can give back today. Maybe I will be able to give more tomorrow, maybe a little less, but rest assured I will give something.

I think that's how this site revolves. We are each constrained by our different paths in life. Some can give more, some less, but as long as those who can give do so, then we are in a better place here at SR.

Thanks to everyone for their support, guidance and shared life's experiences.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Trachs, I may be taking this wrong but just wondering: is this perhaps because you feel that you are not getting enough support, interaction, help, whatever from SR? If there is anything like that, please talk to us and let us know what's going on.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

There are those who respond to nearly every post (which is incredible) and those that respond where they think they can best add value. Some respond publicly, some privately.

All share a tremendous generosity of spirit and resiliency.

The Starfish Story

A young man is walking along the ocean and sees a beach on which thousands and thousands of starfish have washed ashore. Further along he sees an old man, walking slowly and stooping often, picking up one starfish after another and tossing each one gently into the ocean.

“Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?,” he asks.

“Because the sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don’t throw them further in they will die.”

“But, old man, don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it! You can’t possibly save them all, you can’t even save one-tenth of them. In fact, even if you work all day, your efforts won’t make any difference at all.”

The old man listened calmly and then bent down to pick up another starfish and threw it into the sea. “It made a difference to that one.”