Notices

At a crossroad...need advice....

Old 04-27-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Serenidad - nice to see you again. I am going to throw something out here and I hope you understand the intention. Not trying to hurt or be a smart a$$, but I have seen many postings like this from you about AA where you don't like the sponsor or program or something... and it becomes a diversion. Instead of focusing on the real issue, i.e., quit drinking. Perhaps take that energy you are using in trying to fit in AA and find another recovery method and work it. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good to see you and good to hear that you are still sober
Sounds like your sponsor could use some Al Anon lol

I did a formal first step with my sponsor last week and just felt like I was lying to her and myself because she kept saying "do you really believe you are powerless over alcohol? You must believe you are powerless. The first step is the only one you need to do perfectly."
I am very surprised that after all this time she still has you on step one.
I tend to believe that "meeting makers make meetings" and yes some people in AA rely on the fellowship aspect (meetings) to remain sober and it's cool. But if you don't like "fellowshipping" with that particular group of people, that put you in a pickle so to speak.

The program of AA is the 12 steps as outlined in the big book. This is what I jumped in when I got back into recovery. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends at my HG and I also need the f2f support but what gave me that "psychic" change was working the program.
As far as the first step goes, I believe that I am powerless but not helpless.

I am powerless if I start drinking because alcohol will mess with my head in a bad way. I am not helpless because I chose to be a non drinker and I am committed to lifetime abstinence.
As far as happiness goes, I really think it is an inside job. You have some miserable people everywhere (including the rooms of AA) and what some people share at meetings (happy, joyous, free) does not always reflect what is truly going on in their lives once they exit that meeting.

I'm afraid NOT to go to AA because they say I will die or be miserable. They say I will NEVER make it without AA or be happy.
I am in AA and me (and others on SR who are also in AA) told you before that it is a bunch of baloney but sadly enough, it is a message which is heard in some groups. I saw it very recently in a private online group in the form of a meme of all things: straight in your face, what a nice greeting for a newbie!!

Some people would rather try to hammer a newcomer with fear than convey a message of hope. I don't think that fear is a good deterrent in the long run: people tend to have a build in forgetter when it comes to the consequences of their drinking.

I shared before with you that I know some sober people who never worked the AA program and are happy. My Godfather with over 3 decades of sobriety is one of those. Never set foot in an AA meeting and from all accounts, he was a really bad drunk/coke head.
I have also attended meetings of Women For Sobriety in the past and recently started attending Refuge Recovery (a Buddhist based program) and those folks are sober. I can not vouch on whether they are truly happy or not but neither can i vouch for people in AA. I can only relate what people say and how they carry themselves. Who knows what is truly in someone else's heart?

Like others said: happiness is relative. I noticed with me that having big emotional highs (happiness?) came hand in hand with having huge emotional lows. A bit like a roller coaster. I strive to find balance and contentment instead (this is one reason why I shifting gears to a more meditative/zen approach to recovery).
Have you looked into meditation for yourself? Have you also looked into doing service for others? Not necessarily in AA but volunteering at a foodbank or an animal or human shelter, even neighborhood beautification projects....

Meditation helps me stay in the moment and just be and service gives me an attitude of gratitude for what I have. If you do both of those, you might not get deliriously happy but you might get closer to feeling more content and balanced, more at peace with yourself.

Last but not least, I would not write this last paragraph but it's you and I know your MO by now
Be very careful. You tend to get discontent, angry and resentful toward AA right before you lapse. It's like your AV is looking for ammunition (which is pretty easy to get in some groups) and bam you turn that anger inward and you drink.
Forget about AA or not AA, happiness and everything else:
Take a deep breath and say out loud:
I will never drink, ever again.
Now see how it makes you feel inside. If you get that anxious twitching in your belly or some doubtful thoughts coming up then you know that your AV is active.

Once you get to the point where you realize that you have to be abstinent for life and you feel at peace with that idea then at least half of the battle will have been won.

Anyway, it s good to see you around and to see that you are still sober.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Getting sober is tough and there are going to be times that whatever program you're working, you're not going to be happy. I really think you need to just stick with a program and work the program. If you keep on switching programs every time you are unhappy for whatever reason, it's going to make getting sober that much more difficult for you.
You're right! So very right. :-( There is no magic answer....
Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iconoclastic View Post
I attempt to share my ES&H (First person Singular). Based on what you've posted, I'll show you why your sponsor doesn't understand the Alcoholic Anonymous Suggested Program of Recovery, which is common among the AA fellowship. Many don't read the AA textbook, they parrot what they hear at meetings, for some, especially when it sounds clever. AA meetings ARE NOT Alcoholic Anonymous Suggested Program of Recovery, read page 59, CHAPTER 5 HOW IT WORKS, to paraphrase, "the steps taken is the suggested program of recovery." It DOESN'T read the AA fellowship is the suggested program of recovery. Chapter 11, A VISION FOR YOU, to paraphrase, the AA pioneers that help structure the suggested program of recovery said, "they realize they know only a little." This is true, today much more is known about addiction. Therefore, as I know and the co-founder of AA said, AA IS NOT the only game in town (for recovery). I can relate to why as you shared, >>>I'm not happy when I go to AA and when I leave meetings I often feel like I want to drink. (I didn't want to drink BEFORE the meeting).<<< When I was newcomer, I experienced so-called AA old-timers that talked down to me in a condescending manner, e.g. "take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth" and other gems like that. I got angry and in those days when I got angry and confused I wanted to drink. I stopped going to AA for a while, but I began to realize that it was my unresolved shame based ignorance (lack of knowledge) that was reacting to their ignorance. So, I educated myself re: recovery via the AA textbook which is Alcoholic Anonymous Suggested Program of Recovery, along with psychotherapy. I returned to AA meetings without anger, and allowed the ignorant to be who they are without trying to fix them. If someone injured me whether it was on purpose or not, I'm injured. If my injury is by accident, I can forgive. But, if the person or persons that injured me by accident keep repeating the accidental behavior, especially if they were made aware of it, or based on their ignorance, that behavior is abusive. Many alcoholics and other addicts have been abused, usually beginning in childhood. If the abuse isn't addressed and isn't resolved or in the process of resolution the %'s are that they will overtly or subtly abuse others. Those that would abuse others have been abused themselves, that's how they learned this behavior. You wrote>>>I did a formal first step with my sponsor last week and just felt like I was lying to her and myself because she kept saying "do you really believe you are powerless over alcohol? You must believe you are powerless. The first step is the only one you need to do perfectly."<<< Your Sponsor is incorrect. The First Step is in two parts and has two separate thoughts, the em dash (-) separates these thoughts. The second part (half) of Step One is regarding ones life being unmanageable and CANNOT be done perfectly. Addressing the second half is involved with the causes and conditions for addiction which is the problem. "DRINKING" alcohol is the symptom NOT alcohol which is an inert substance, an inert substance has no power. The problem is ME. If I don't identify the problem through self-examination, there is no solution! You wrote >>>I DON'T believe that I'm powerless over alcohol. I believe all people have the power to stop if they REALLY want to. I definitely believe my life is unmanageable when I drink and I never want to drink again, but it's just too much. I just don't and can't buy into parts of AA.<<< Good for you, you don't have to defer to any ones ignorance!!!
Wow! Can YOU be my sponsor? Haha
Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Hi Serenidad - nice to see you again. I am going to throw something out here and I hope you understand the intention. Not trying to hurt or be a smart a$$, but I have seen many postings like this from you about AA where you don't like the sponsor or program or something... and it becomes a diversion. Instead of focusing on the real issue, i.e., quit drinking. Perhaps take that energy you are using in trying to fit in AA and find another recovery method and work it. Just a thought.
Very true ArtFriend!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Good to see you and good to hear that you are still sober Sounds like your sponsor could use some Al Anon lol I am very surprised that after all this time she still has you on step one. I tend to believe that "meeting makers make meetings" and yes some people in AA rely on the fellowship aspect (meetings) to remain sober and it's cool. But if you don't like "fellowshipping" with that particular group of people, that put you in a pickle so to speak. The program of AA is the 12 steps as outlined in the big book. This is what I jumped in when I got back into recovery. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends at my HG and I also need the f2f support but what gave me that "psychic" change was working the program. As far as the first step goes, I believe that I am powerless but not helpless. I am powerless if I start drinking because alcohol will mess with my head in a bad way. I am not helpless because I chose to be a non drinker and I am committed to lifetime abstinence. As far as happiness goes, I really think it is an inside job. You have some miserable people everywhere (including the rooms of AA) and what some people share at meetings (happy, joyous, free) does not always reflect what is truly going on in their lives once they exit that meeting. I am in AA and me (and others on SR who are also in AA) told you before that it is a bunch of baloney but sadly enough, it is a message which is heard in some groups. I saw it very recently in a private online group in the form of a meme of all things: straight in your face, what a nice greeting for a newbie!! Some people would rather try to hammer a newcomer with fear than convey a message of hope. I don't think that fear is a good deterrent in the long run: people tend to have a build in forgetter when it comes to the consequences of their drinking. I shared before with you that I know some sober people who never worked the AA program and are happy. My Godfather with over 3 decades of sobriety is one of those. Never set foot in an AA meeting and from all accounts, he was a really bad drunk/coke head. I have also attended meetings of Women For Sobriety in the past and recently started attending Refuge Recovery (a Buddhist based program) and those folks are sober. I can not vouch on whether they are truly happy or not but neither can i vouch for people in AA. I can only relate what people say and how they carry themselves. Who knows what is truly in someone else's heart? Like others said: happiness is relative. I noticed with me that having big emotional highs (happiness?) came hand in hand with having huge emotional lows. A bit like a roller coaster. I strive to find balance and contentment instead (this is one reason why I shifting gears to a more meditative/zen approach to recovery). Have you looked into meditation for yourself? Have you also looked into doing service for others? Not necessarily in AA but volunteering at a foodbank or an animal or human shelter, even neighborhood beautification projects.... Meditation helps me stay in the moment and just be and service gives me an attitude of gratitude for what I have. If you do both of those, you might not get deliriously happy but you might get closer to feeling more content and balanced, more at peace with yourself. Last but not least, I would not write this last paragraph but it's you and I know your MO by now Be very careful. You tend to get discontent, angry and resentful toward AA right before you lapse. It's like your AV is looking for ammunition (which is pretty easy to get in some groups) and bam you turn that anger inward and you drink. Forget about AA or not AA, happiness and everything else: Take a deep breath and say out loud: I will never drink, ever again. Now see how it makes you feel inside. If you get that anxious twitching in your belly or some doubtful thoughts coming up then you know that your AV is active. Once you get to the point where you realize that you have to be abstinent for life and you feel at peace with that idea then at least half of the battle will have been won. Anyway, it s good to see you around and to see that you are still sober.
I've thought the same thing about my sponsor...she needs Alanon! How are you doing in AA? Still active?
Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Still going to my HG about twice a week and still doing service (secretarying tomorrow) but you know me, I always have other stuff cooking too. I was never one to keep all my eggs in the same basket LOL.
I really took to Zen meditation and I am shifting gears more toward Buddhist oriented recovery.
http://www.againstthestream.org/comm...hist-recovery/
Refuge Recovery is a community of people who are using the practices of mindfulness, compassion, forgiveness and generosity to heal the pain and suffering that addiction has caused in our lives and the lives of our loved ones. The path of practice that we follow is called the Four Truths of Refuge Recovery.

The Four Truths of Refuge Recovery are a Buddhist oriented path to recovery from addictions. It has proven successful with addicts and alcoholics who have committed to the Buddhist path of meditation, generosity, kindness and renunciation.

This is an approach to recovery that understands; “All beings have the power and potential to free them-self from suffering”. We feel confident in the power of the Buddha’s teachings, if applied, to relieve suffering of all kinds, including the suffering of addiction.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

I did a formal first step with my sponsor last week and just felt like I was lying to her and myself because she kept saying "do you really believe you are powerless over alcohol? You must believe you are powerless. The first step is the only one you need to do perfectly."
Somebody in AA once told me to look at it this way: I am powerless over alcohol after that first drink. That baffled me and made so much sense. I had the same hang up as you about this. That helped me tons. I truly do believe after the first drink all bets are off. But, I do have the ability to say no with the tools that I have and that doesn't necessarily mean pertaining to AA. I have to do whatever it takes to avoid that first drink or all bets are off. My effort in recovery is a direct correlation of this decision.

HONESTLY, are there people on this site who don't go to AA and are sober AND TRULY happy? Is that possible??? If so, how did you do it?

yes, yes and yes. I think the simple answer to this is...this is YOUR life and YOUR recovery do whatever keeps you sober.

Serindad there are millions of people that have recovered without AA. Some got sober then left AA. This is 100% up to you. But, I do think you need to try every route.

Also, serindad, take a breath I think you are a lot like me and make things more complicated than they need to be. Just keep trying one day at a time and don't drink. Soon if you keep trying different avenues I promise you things will start clicking. Try to enjoy the journey. Recovery can be beautiful. You are making it very stressful (another thing us alcoholics do best!) We alcoholics want instant gratification and anything that is worth keeping will take a lot of effort to keep. If you are anything like me you went to extreme efforts to continue drinking...take all that energy and focus it in recovery and finding what works for you.

I wish you all the best and have missed you too xox
Old 04-27-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i too think you are misunderstand the concept of powerlessness.

alcohol has NO power over you UNLESS YOU DRINK IT, then it has ALL the power. it becomes your POWER GREATER. that is why AA suggest finding another (better) Higher Power - we already turned ourselves over to alcohol, and did so at great cost.

so i have a question for you....since you took your hiatus from SR and went all in with AA, and even with a sponsor whose kind of annoying you at the moment........have you stayed sober?

right now maybe immersion in AA is exactly what you need. every time you start pulling away and wanting to do it DIFFERENT or Serenidad's way - what happens? what's going on that a few weeks ago you were sure this was the only way, and now you are once again looking for the exit.

maybe it isn't AA at all. maybe it's Serenidad. as early as you are in sobriety, 2 meetings a day is NOT a bad thing. especially if you aren't working full time. and especially considering how things go when left to your own devices...why not read those few posts right before you signed off? that last vicious relapse....maybe being told what to do FOR NOW when it comes to staying sober is EXACTLY what you need..........maybe.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm a DIY type. I drank and drugged alone and I got sober alone. Well, not exactly true. I threw myself into recovery as hard as I was drinking. No AA just here and reading and working on myself and my thinking and actions. I've never been more content than right now. I made a decision and I'm not going back.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Serenidad,
I want to thank you for starting this thread, and for your honest story. I can relate to so much of it. You've received so many fantastic and nuanced replies, I'll be putting this thread into my Favourites.

For what it's worth - I have to tell you that I'm grinding out each day in a (now) quite long relapse, and awaiting being able to go for inpatient detox and psych treatment (dual diagnosis).

And I have to tell you that I left AA back in mid-January, after suffering several episodes of the kind of emotional abuse from some members referred to earlier. This, combined with being still in early months after my sister's suicide, literally sent me over the edge - and back into that fateful first drink, yet again. It's hell, as I gather you know.

I hope you can find it within you to NOT go down a similar path now.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Whoops, somehow 'lost' my thanks also to Carlotta and Iconoclastic for their replies.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Their is a program called Celebrate Recovery. They are religious so be aware of that, but I used to go to meetings, and they were not pushy or judgmental like some of the AA groups I have attended. I used to go to them, and afterwards I always felt relieved, and like someone understood me. I have never had luck doing it on my own, but we are two different people, and maybe you have more will power than me. I think you should do what you think is best. It is your life, and your recovery. If AA is not working for you maybe it just isn't the program for you personally.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You are so not alone. Lots of people quit without aa. Or use aa to start a foundation and then move on, or just use the parts of aa they like. You pretty much summed it up, often aa seems like the only gig in town . Unfortunately, programs like smart, life ring, women for sobriety and HAMS do not have as much face to face contact which is what a lot of us need in the early days of sobriety. Have you looked into any of those programs? You may be able to find a mixture of what works for you.
I believe this will be stated again and again but lots of people get sober with aa , and lots of people get sober on their own, or through other means. I used CBT and read up a lot about addiction were the ones that helped me the most. A
Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah. AA wasnt for me. I like SR better.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Serenidad, I've flowed your story loosely and not said anything because you get some great advise. I think you are getting some great advise here as well, but for some reason I'm feeling compelled to chime in.

First off, I really admire you both for your precious long term sobriety as well as your current fight. You show a ton of courage.

I can't tell you what to do, obviously. I'm not in your town, haven't been to your meeting. For all I know, your sponsor is a complete nazi. For all I know, she knows you better than any of us. Who am I to say?

So I suppose I'll just share what worked for me. Outpatient rehab and Aa finally worked for me. I go to meetings somewhere between weekly and once in a blue moon. But when I was newly sober, I was either in a rehab appt or an aa meeting 5 nights a week. Otherwise, I would have been drunk. I didn't do the 90/90 thing, with my work schedule I stressed out just thinking about it. And guess what my go to stress solution used to be? Yep, booze. So I did what I could, when I could. I got a sponsor who knew me well. She knew when to lean on me and when to leave me alone. 'Cause nobody can beat me up better than I can. So she coaxed me along and nudged me until I was ready to live for myself again.

It took a really really long time, but I learned to trust my own gut again. For a long time, my in er addict definitely didn't have my best interests at heart. She wanted to get me drunk. So I would stress out in meetings, take issue with things people said, I felt like an outcast. But after a while, all that stopped. Are there still people in aa who I disagree with? Absolutely. But they don't bother me so much anymore. I found my own inner compass again.

Recovery did that for me, after I stopped balking and did it. Is aa going to be that for you? Again, not for me to say. Is another program gonna do it? Who knows? I think it's really about you. When you throw yourself all in, whatever that is, magic will happen. I really believe that, because when I stopped balking and started really doing it (I went through the motions and spent a lot of time "recovering"), the magic happened for me.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
HONESTLY, are there people on this site who don't go to AA and are sober AND TRULY happy? Is that possible??? If so, how did you do it?
Yes. I do not go to AA and I am sober, and I am truly happy. Like Dee, I also completely changed my life. Going to the same places, same job, seeing the same faces and coming home to the same apartment....that was bare-bones sobriety. Being happy in sobriety means I changed all of those physical things. Emotionally, I changed even more. I aimed higher.

Moving the furniture around your house does not transform that same house into a palace. Find a happy place and build your new emotional foundation around it from scratch. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That POWERLESS of the first step is talking about that first drink. Once an alcoholic takes that first drink it triggers that allergy, and it is almost impossible to stop drinking. That's what it means to me.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Also, there is a copy of your first step right here, on SR
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
It addresses the unmanageability in 70 points but also the powerlessness comes up as in
18. Once I start drinking I don't want to stop until I am buzzed, drunk, passed out, vomiting or forced to stop most of time.
Now since we both know that you are not helpless, do whatever it takes not to drink again. Because as a sober woman, you have the power of being able to make choices and hopefully, you will come to accept that drinking is not a viable decision for you and chose permanent, lifelong abstinence with no reservations.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Take what you can use from AA...and leave the rest.

One shoe does'nt fit everyone.
DD