SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Is the first week the worst week? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365762-first-week-worst-week.html)

amp123 04-27-2015 12:05 AM

Is the first week the worst week?

Hi all, I just chalked up one week sober. I managed a six week streak last year so I know this is the beginning of a long road but this time I'm determined to last the distance. I don't think I was 100% clear last time that I was stopping forever... Anyway, my question is whether some of you who have for further down the road than I ever have feel that week 1 is the hardest nut to crack or do the challenges just keep coming in different ways. I feel I can do it but would like to know what's coming up...

Thanks!

MarathonMan 04-27-2015 12:07 AM

For me the first week was the worst, mostly due to the physical withdrawal. I always have a bad week at 5 weeks......it's usually the point when my brain tells me, "you've got this time to give moderation a try".

I had over 2 years and the only times that bothered me after the first few months were when I went on holiday somewhere hot.

Dee74 04-27-2015 12:09 AM

I think the challenges do keep coming...but nothing else was ever like that first week for me?

D

MelindaFlowers 04-27-2015 12:09 AM

Yes, by far. Just remember you never have to have a first week again. The second most difficult time I found was around Christmas. But nothing compares to that first week.

amp123 04-27-2015 12:21 AM

Good to know...yesterday I started feeling close to normal some of the time and found I was obsessing less. Last time I think I failed because of complacency...I thought I had it nailed. This time I'm in a stronger position because I know there's no going back....

JaneLane 04-27-2015 01:08 AM

Thank you for starting this thread Amp! I'm 8 days sober today and starting to feel better.

mecanix 04-27-2015 01:21 AM

i find it helps to keep coming back to SR to remind myself of the early days , when the effects of alcohol are still doing a number on you .

Feeling bad even a week out is still the fault of alcohol , thats a long term misery for a brief time of getting a buzz on .

3 days i felt a bit better , 3 weeks a lot better , 3 months and things had begun to really change i could see hope on the horizon that life sober was going to be really rather good … 3 years on and life is very different in some ways :)

keep on , don't turn back , :You_Rock_

m

amp123 04-27-2015 06:05 AM

3 years sober is a magnificent achievement, Mecanix. I am trying to envisage myself in a life in which I am calm and in control of this beast!!! I hope to be there one day. Thanks for all of this input. People often say that 3 months is an important threshold. Why is that?

doggonecarl 04-27-2015 06:10 AM

Is the first week the worst week?

Worst? In what way? There is the physical withdrawal aspect, which is worse when you first quit. But from a recovery standpoint, it's the easiest to stay quit during, as the memory of our last escapade is usually fresh in our mind and our commitment to sobriety is strong.

From that perspective, the hardest week might be when you start feeling good, start thinking you don't have a problem, or when life takes a downturn and you haven't figured out how to cope other than return to the bottle. So I'd say the worst week is the week you decide it's okay to drink.

Soberwolf 04-27-2015 06:15 AM

Yes the first week is the hardest by far imo Amp

In my direct experience it was the first month overall but it did get easier the longer i stayed sober

Mountainmanbob 04-27-2015 06:24 AM

Life has its troubles for one's in Recovery and ones that are not.

The main plan should always be, no matter how rough life gets, we don't drink.

Then there is the other side of the coin. Some will get thinking and feeling so good in their sobriety that they will reward themselves with a drink.

Mountainman

amp123 04-27-2015 06:38 AM

I'm with you guys all the way on the "feelin too good" aspect. It was that kind of complacency that did for my last attempt...

Mountainmanbob 04-27-2015 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by amp123 (Post 5340519)
I'm with you guys all the way on the "feelin too good" aspect. It was that kind of complacency that did for my last attempt...

Once when I was sober many years ago I heard a man share this while in an AA meeting. I thought to myself, what's wrong with this guy ?
Yes, before long I had deceived myself yet again and had a drink in my hand.

MM

courage2 04-27-2015 06:52 AM

Yes, I think the first week is the worst. It has the physical plus for me all the people places and things were still very much in the picture, and I was like a naked baby with nothing to protect me from them.

Imo, you can tell yourself, if you made it through the past week, you KNOW you don't have to drink. Picking up again from now on will be a choice -- just don't make it.

ccam1973 04-27-2015 07:12 AM

For me the first week was the toughest. With that being said, it is easier to let your guard down when the daily thoughts of drinking ease a bit.

In the past, that's when I relapsed each time. When I thought everything was fine and I wasn't craving a drink, BOOM, my AV would catch me off guard.

This time around, I am spending more time here on SR even when I'm not craving or even thinking about drinking.

Congrats on one week!! Great accomplishment AMP