SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anyone ever tried milk thistle? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365701-anyone-ever-tried-milk-thistle.html)

Ninjaturtle 04-26-2015 09:25 AM

Anyone ever tried milk thistle?

What was your experience like. Did it help you or did it harm at all? Not looking for advise just some experience. Thanks! I don't have liver problems or anything. I'm just trying to get a well rounded view of some supplements.
No matter how bad or how good it gets don't listen to your AV! Progress not perfection.

Soberwolf 04-26-2015 09:34 AM

Ive never heard of milk thistle ?

Madmartigan 04-26-2015 10:26 AM

I take it ... As with any herbal remedy its not clinically proven ... I noticed when I was drinking it helped reduce some pain I experienced in my liver ... Might have just been the placebo effect ... But I do take it daily

Buggirl 04-26-2015 10:27 AM

It is apparently very good! I used Kudzu herbal tablets that really helped me in the early days.

Soberwolf 04-26-2015 10:32 AM

is this the same as scottish thistle ?

I read on milk thistle it helps the liver and helps bile flow ?

Ninjaturtle 04-26-2015 10:35 AM

Milk thistle is a herbal supplement that is supposed to promote healthy liver function. Not sure if it's the same as Scottish thistle.

ZaBoozer 04-26-2015 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ninjaturtle (Post 5338955)
What was your experience like. Did it help you or did it harm at all? Not looking for advise just some experience. Thanks! I don't have liver problems or anything. I'm just trying to get a well rounded view of some supplements. No matter how bad or how good it gets don't listen to your AV! Progress not perfection.

Hey NT,

I took it when I was drinking. As stated it takes the pain in the liver away I still take it now that I have stopped as it is supposed to help with liver rejuvenation.

Cheers,

ZAB

Madmartigan 04-26-2015 10:49 AM

I think it depends on who you talk to really ... Some doctors support herbal supplements some don't ... One of my ex mom was a nurse and had her masters in alternative medicine so she was obviously all about it. I've had Dr that say "try this" and others that won't touch suggesting herbal supplements with a 10 foot pole

Elodie 04-26-2015 03:01 PM

I take milk thistle. I started taking it when I was drinking because I'd heard good things about it, and I still take it now.

I'm not sure I can say it helped me - I never had liver pain and my blood test results were always normal - but it hasn't harmed me.

Hawkeye13 04-26-2015 03:04 PM

I take it too--it seems to have no side effects for me and it is claimed to have positive benefits for the liver.

My liver deserves all the support it can get ;)

happyandfree 04-26-2015 03:34 PM

I take it...2 Dr's recommended it for my liver.

UnixBer 04-26-2015 05:59 PM

It's said to be good for the liver. It's also supposed to be good for detoxing, and in some cases it could cause side effects.

Personally I don't use it often. Maybe a few times a year for a few weeks at a time max.

Supposed it was caused by milk thistle, I had a streak with some eerie effects going on at about month 18 in recovery and I associate the thistle use at that moment. I was also vaping at the time. Still not sure if it was thistle but for a few days the feeling was pretty warped, don't know how to describe it.

MIRecovery 04-26-2015 06:13 PM

For me the solution to the vast majority of my health problems was quiting drinking. Six months latter you may wish to seek medical advice should any persist. In my case I'm healthy as a horse and take no medications and all I did was stop poisoning myself. Unfortunately quiting drinking did not make me lose the 50 lbs I need to but what can I say I love food

Dee74 04-26-2015 06:24 PM

Like I always say, if you think milk thistle might be beneficial for you, see your Dr - what worked for someone else may not work or even be suitable for you

D

Venecia 04-26-2015 06:34 PM

I think there's a natural inclination toward thinking if something is "natural," then it must be good. It could be, it's just there's not always clear evidence.

There's not a lot of thorough research on milk thistle. I've often found mayoclinic.org has good info. Remember, as Mayo notes, supplements -- like prescription drugs -- can pose risks, too, interactions with other medication. Milk thistle also poses some risks if you have allergies to certain plants.

More: Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) Background - Mayo Clinic

Best thing we can do for our livers? Sobriety. :)

MelindaFlowers 04-26-2015 06:42 PM

Yes, but I figured now that I don't drink anymore I don't even need it.

jezza 04-26-2015 08:51 PM

I drink milk thistle & lemon tea which is really nice,Twinnings do a detox tea with these ingredients... Nothing proven but there is a slant to milk thistle helping the liver & I do believe in it as my liver/pancras pain went very quickly after drinking it..