Join For Free

Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The elusive "Join for free" box

I screen shotted it so people can see what it looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150427_192030.jpg (35.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

That's your directory to the thread titled "Join for Free" -- the thread you're currently posting on and that Lbrain created!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh yeah ah ha ha!

I notice I have a data usage warning too��
Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Oh yeah ah ha ha!

I notice I have a data usage warning too��

THAT'S Funny!

Not long ago I googled a topic I was interested in and had previously posted. A link from SR popped under results. I clicked on it and it was a response from a friend. I totally agreed with what they posted and started to respond myself.......

Hmmmm, this reads a little too familiar!??! It was then I realized I had started the thread a few months back and already responded at that time.!

Wow.......I may be losing it!

I want to be clear while we are on the topic from the OP. I find SR to be a useful forum and a great tool. The interaction with other folks has helped me in many ways. One of these is learning how to play nicely with other people.

THAT is progress not perfection, btw

Glad we are all here - a majority of which I am hopeful are sober (freely) today~!!!

peace, friends
Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Here it is - you have to log off to see it.
Attached Images
join for free.jpg (74.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Here it is - you have to log off to see it.
That's not that bad, I was starting to expect something like that instead

Old 04-27-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Excellent Carlotta.... (evil laugh)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Ok, so having seen the "Join For Free" button in the flesh I am going to weigh in that this is a tempest in a tea cup. It doesn't say "First Month Free" or otherwise indicate that it's some sleazy bait-and-switch. Cut SR some slack. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth, people.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Court jester

Change "Join for Free" to "Join for Dee" and watch the mass onslaught of new members.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
p***enger

This has gotten surreal. Just the way I like it.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Ok, so having seen the "Join For Free" button in the flesh I am going to weigh in that this is a tempest in a tea cup. It doesn't say "First Month Free" or otherwise indicate that it's some sleazy bait-and-switch. Cut SR some slack. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth, people.
Well stated, Fluff!

On a side note, nice use of both idioms!
Here's another.........

in for a penny in for a pound

Fluffer - is your avatar Heston in planet of the apes??
Old 04-27-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Thanks, Fly! I try to lard my posts with as many trite idioms as possible.

You got the Heston thing right. I wanted the image with the statue of liberty with the famous quote "d*mn you all to h*ll" but I couldn't find it. I think it symbolizes my profound existential alienation, or something like that.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Cool

You're right, it doesn't say 'First Month Free,' but in simply stating 'Join For Free' there's an underlying inference that there may be charges later on (ie: joining if free, but you may be charged a usage fee or a monthly fee)....very much like a 'bait and switch.' Ah yes, grammar, a lost art form.........lolol

(o:
NoelleR
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I forget which thread this is, courage2's pay to play thread?

I agree Fluffer, this had to be one of my all time favorite movie scenes.
I was so taken by this scene when the movie came out - literally gave me chills. What brilliance!

Kinda reminds me also of the story line in 2112 when he discovers a guitar. Same concept sort of...

I'm amazed at the responses this got. "Excellent Smithers, excellent."
Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thanks, Fly! I try to lard my posts with as many trite idioms as possible.

You got the Heston thing right. I wanted the image with the statue of liberty with the famous quote "d*mn you all to h*ll" but I couldn't find it. I think it symbolizes my profound existential alienation, or something like that.
You may have this one if you'd like!
Attached Images
heston (2).jpg (23.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Frankly, I would LOVE to read some positive comments about SR after the last few days we've gone through. I have read enough negative comments to last me for a very, very long time.
I agree Anna.

When I heard everybody was talking about the bird, and that bird is the word, I was bummed as well. If people could just stop talking about the bird and concentrate on helping others we'd be in a much better place.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks. That's why I posted this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gratitude.html
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
That's not that bad, I was starting to expect something like that instead

I can't! lmao! You are a hoot! Is it sad I haven't laughed this hard in like FOREVER?!! Wait. Don't answer that!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I read this earlier today and two things popped into my head. Through work and in real life I've heard people say "I don't want a public defender, I want a real lawyer" somehow valuing the services of a public defender, who is free, all the less because they aren't paying for those services. What those people don't take into consideration is that the public defender is a lawyer. A lawyer who is highly interested in public service and may very well be making a whole lot less as a public defender than as an attorney in private practice because they believe in what they do, not because they are handsomely compensated to do it. Second, that public defender works in the same courtroom and knows the judge's idiosyncrasies far better than a random highly paid and sometimes flashy private attorney. They also know the prosecutors and are therefore in the best position to evaluate their client's case, chances at trial and to negotiate the best possible plea deal, if any, based on their training and knowledge in any given situation. So, even if it's free, it's of high value. Same with SR. just because it's free, doesn't mean it's not valuable. Who better than to give insight and recommendations to fellow alcoholics and addicts than someone who has been through it, knows how to get and stay sober and wants to help? I'm not paying for something which is immeasurably valuable in me maintaining sobriety.

My other thought is that SR isn't "free" in the existential sense of the word. I paid my dues to be able to join and say that yes, I am an alcoholic. I heard that at an AA meeting. I paid for my chair. Even though there are no dues or fees for AA. It's the emotional pain and the financial hits my drinking caused that brought me to go.

So, I'm all for free! Free SR is great and thank you to all you lovely people.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

And p.s., I am NOT a public defender but I do stick up for them when I hear those cringe worthy statements.