SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How does your higher power guide you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365642-how-does-your-higher-power-guide-you.html)

SoberLife90 04-25-2015 07:26 PM

How does your higher power guide you?

Hey my names Nick and I have around 20 months sobriety. I go to AA and I've been praying more lately and I've also been thinking about GOD more also. I have been questioning what GOD actually is. Now I do have a set of principles that I try to live by...being honest, tolerant of others, respectful and other stuff. Just being a good person. Now I know there's a big world out there...especially outside of our little universe. In all honesty I don't even know what GOD is. I do have a higher power which is the principles I live by...but I don't know if there is someone watching over me and giving me strength to go through life. I do have GoodOrderlyDirection...I do know that. This whole GOD thing can be confusing, at least to me because everyone had their own ideas. I feel I am doing well in my recovery but GOD still leaves me unanswered questions. Btw...I heard Bill W. Was an agnostic? So when he came to believe I wonder what was his higher power? Was it similar to mine or full blown GOD making things happen in his life for a reason.

I would love to hear what everyone has to says. Help me understand...please.

Sincerely,

Nick

TroyW 04-25-2015 07:31 PM

To each their own, but personally, I don't believe in one almighty creator. However, I definitely believe in a higher power.

By no means do I think this physical life is all there is to it. I believe we do have souls, energy, and that energy carries on after we die. I like to think of it as multiple, spiritual planes of existence. Various things in my life have led me to this conclusion, as I'm sure is true with others.

There is no one God in my mind, but just a massive amount of energy, which makes us all somewhat connected, if that makes any sense. When we die, our energy doesn't just turn into maggot food, but continues on, and maybe to another plane of existence.

I don't know, and nobody else living does either.

LBrain 04-25-2015 08:14 PM

here's an idea...
do you believe that we, the humanoid creatures inhabiting the planet earth as we call it are the only creatures of this kind in the universe?

odds are greater that there 1000 such 'civilizations' in the universe than my chances of winning the power ball lottery.

I for a fact know we are not the only ones. Do we share the same god as creatures from another galaxy? When god created earth and man, did he just write us off as a failure and keep trying elsewhere? Are there several competing gods in the universe playing there own form of the civilization game? And if there is, I can guess that our god is getting his ass kicked.
Did seeing the Dr Seuss classic 'Horton Hears A Who' change your life? Did the back cover of the 'Aqualung' album have any significant meaning to you?
So many questions.
I forgot what this was about... Time for bed.

TroyW 04-25-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 5338110)
Are there several competing gods in the universe playing there own form of the civilization game? And if there is, I can guess that our god is getting his ass kicked.

haha, that literally made me laugh out loud.

BadCompany 04-25-2015 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 (Post 5338058)
Btw...I heard Bill W. Was an agnostic? So when he came to believe I wonder what was his higher power?

Bill W. was an agnostic during most of his adult life. WWI was quite an experience for him and many others.

During his recovery he believed in a god within a very loose framework that would generally be considered christian, but he never landed within one firm set of beliefs. Until the day he died he journeyed and struggled. He died sober.

The journey is important. The struggle has value.