Notices

Drank a fifth last night

Old 04-25-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank a fifth last night

I am in a nightmare right now and I can't wake myself up. My goal to only drink on the weekends has failed horribly. I'm getting drunk every second day. I am gonna die from this aren't I? I can't get a grasp on alcohol anymore. This past week has been so rough on my body and mind. I'm f*cked
Old 04-25-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

New here but been struggling for 10Yrs+

I go through the cycle of "I can only have one, ill only drink on the weekend, ill only drink when i drink socially or go out" Failed on all of those. Im on my fourth day sober, going through the motions of withdrawal after binge drinking, just keep talking to people here & reading posts, were all in the same boat. I myself am scared ill drink again as I usually do but all we can do is try n keep going again, hang in there...
Old 04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you are not framed...

all you gotta do is put down the bottle, gather yourself together, and make a plan to abstain from drinking, get yourself some support network, and just don't drink no more,,,
Old 04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

I don't think you're ****** at all. You're here, you want to get sober and clearly moderation doesn't work for you. That's okay. This amazing place is full of lovely people that can't drink moderately either and abstain!

One thing that might help initially is to get your feelings and anger out. Personally, despite attending AA meetings, I prefer to write. When I decided to stop drinking I wrote pages and pages. It's formed a huge part of my recovery. There will be something that works for you and this can be a whole new start.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You CAN get sober, but you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was where you were and I know how you feel. It sucks. I tried for years and years to moderate. I never could moderate and every time I picked up drinking again, I started at a higher level of addiction than I left off.

If I take up drinking again, I will probably start ingesting more than I did when I left off and I would most certainly die. no question. Give up on the fantasy of moderating - because trying to moderate is so much harder than abstinence. You are worth more than a life of addiction.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Since some people can drink moderately, it's norMal for problem drinkers to tRy that over and over again . You are not ****** or destined to A miserable life. There r many support forums and groups out there fill of people just like you. Coming here and reaching oUT is a great step in the right direction.
I felt crazy in early sobriety. Had to stay really busy , did a lot of therapy, felt really alone and damaged and unlovable. I have since learned all are untrue. please keep posting and doing whatever works for yiu not to drink one day at a time.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi scared!

I could never get a grasp on alcohol either, so I decided to stop trying to grasp it and just quit it altogether! I don't drink anymore....no matter what. I'm in control now, not the booze, and I'm loving my new freedom.
You can have this freedom, too....but you gotta put the bottle down first.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis saved me Scared, you can do it too!!

I had to accept there were going to be no more "just weekends" or "1 drinks", alcohol and me were simply incompatible, and with that mind frame as the foundation your life CAN change!!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Scared, I felt that way at the end of my drinking days. I finally knew there was nothing left to do but stop all together. Every time it was in my system, dangerous & unpredictable things happened. It was a huge relief to be free of it and no longer it's slave. We know you can stop, and get your life back.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Draw that line in the sand and part ways with it! Make a plan and stick to it. You can do this!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tried weekend drinking a few times, then everyday became the weekend. I've heard of people that can moderate, but I honestly don't think they exist.

Brush yourself off you want to quit and your back, now you need to make a plan to help yourself achieve complete sobriety.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My former husband, father of my son, is in the ICU tonight, hallucinating and experiencing severe DTs, restrained for his safety. The last time, his neurologist said he had significant brain shrinkage and irreversible damage. If he lives through this detox, he faces legal issues.

You have a chance to avoid a similar fate, my friend. I wish you the best.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Scared that's a smart realisation that you can neither moderate nor just drink on weekends. Yes, the effects of alcohol abuse can kill us or we can be sober and being sober is a pretty great life. Come and try it.