Notices

Help!

Old 08-21-2004, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Help!

Hi everybody...I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I was going through a very stressful and hard time in March and went into a deep depression. Even worse, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. The anti-depressant my shrink put me on at the time wasn't working and so (like an idiot) I started drinking wine to calm down. It was the only time I felt happy. Before I knew it, I was drinking 8 glasses of wine a night, every night! I didn't really have a craving for it or anything, but it was there and it put me a good mood, so I drank it and always made sure I had some in the house. So basically I've been drunk almost every night for 5 months. Well, my shrink prescribed me a different anti-depressant last month, and it's really working for me. So yesterday it hit me that I don't need to drink at all anymore. I don't crave the alcohol and I'm in a good mood and I'm trying have a healthier lifestyle. Then I thought about it, and it hit me that I might have withdrawal symptoms. So I got online and what I read about quitting cold turkey terrified me. I thought I could just stop and maybe feel a little lousy for a few days, but all the stuff about the shaking and nausea and horrible headaches and even DTs changed my mind real quick. See, I don't have any health insurance and barely any money so there's no way I could be under a doctor's care and there's no way I'm quitting cold turkey unless I'm monitored closely (I've had a lot of health problems in the past). So what I want to do is just cut back slowly. Tonight I had no desire for the wine but my hands were shaking terribly and my head was spinning and I felt weak. So I drank 1 glass and the trembling stopped. I also took the Klonopin that had been prescribed to me along with the anti-depressant, and I read that Benzos are frequently prescribed to help ease withdrawal symptoms. I know that stopping the withdrawal symptoms is the main reason alcoholics go back to drinking in a lot of cases, but I don't really think I'm an alcoholic, I think I just ignorantly abused alcohol for a long time. I guess my plan is to drink only two glasses a night for a week, then one the next week, then half the next week. So basically, what I'm asking is has anyone else had success with weaning themselves off of alcohol instead of just stopping cold turkey? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dixie,

Welcome! I'm glad you found us and have decided to do something about your problem with alcohol.

My situation is very similar to yours. I suffered from depression/anxiety for years and could not get it properly diagnosed or treated. Finally, during an intensely stressful period I turned to alcohol as a last resort. I think, within a month or so I was an alcoholic, although I didn't believe it at the time. When I got the correct medication, I didn't want to stop drinking, not really. It had become such an important part of my life. And, when I tried to stop, I found I couldn't. It was a difficult journey, but I've been sober for a few years now.

As far as your withdrawl symptoms, I can't say. It's always a good idea to talk to your doctor before starting withdrawl. And, you may be able to wean yourself off the alcohol. It surely didn't work for me - I'd make some progress and then end up right back where I started. In my opinion, cold turkey, with dr approval, is the best way to go. That way, alcohol is no longer a part of your life. I wanted to stop thinking about drinking - and weaning myself off the wine, meant I continued to obsess about drinking.

Also, for me it wasn't stopping the withdrawl symptoms that pushed me back to alcohol. It was the mental part of it. I had depended upon alcohol to manage my emotions and it was terrifying to try to live life without that buffer.

I congratulate you on your decision to stop drinking and hope that you hang around and keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 08-22-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
An Addict name Jerome.......

Welcome Dixie, and Keep Coming Back. My attempts at weening myself off, or the way I see it "controling" my addiction always ended in failer. I did go thru detox one time, not having ins. either at the time, I got intouch with my county mential health dept. and they got me in one that turn out to be free. It helped, but I was right back in the same shape 3 months later. It was not until I amitted I was powerless, and my life was unmanageable did I find real help. May I suggest you get intouch with your local AA, and get you a Big Book. You don't have to amitted anything, or go to any meetings, just ask for the book. Read chapter 3 "More About Alcoholism." Keep posting, and may God be with you.......................Peace
Old 08-22-2004, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
The Salvation Army is free and can help you with the detox, until you decide what to do about your drinking.We're glad your here, you'll find a great deal of support. *hugs*