Notices

Drinking alcohol .....

Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking alcohol .....

... I have woke up this morning and started reading posts on here and feel sick when I read that someone has started to drink again. I just think of the hangover and really feel for people. I still remember my last hangover 204 days ago! I haven't drank a drop of alcohol since and I really couldn't imagine the inconvenience of drinking like I used to.

I love life now and just couldn't cope with alcohol. I prefer a nice soft drink. Just the smell of drinks with alcohol in make me feel sick.

Am I cured? I am not so sure. I think I will always have to be on guard for my AV popping up as life goes on, but I do think the longer I go, the stronger I get.

I really want everyone else to be as happy as I have become and find the new life waiting for them. We can do this, one day at a time!

Thank you for all the support and wisdom here.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Ring out that freedom bell for people buggirl

Sometimes i thought things were impossible to deal with or i'd go mad , turns out what i "thought" was wrong and i didn't go mad .
Sitting with my feelings , persevering , eventually with time you learn to deal with the feelings maybe with outside help .. there is no magic bullet .

It's tough and sometimes it's easy , it's possible, it is worthwhile , sometimes it's glorious … A sober life is there for our making , what shall we make of it ?

Keep on , m
Old 04-25-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Bug
Old 04-25-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bug,

First of all I love your picture! Second of all, I find your post really inspiring. I am 6 days sober and I have previously, years ago, had one year sober, and I remember finding the smell gross. I want to get back to that.

I'm glad you are feeling good :-)
Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, exactly. It is early morning here. Waking up sober is just the first gift of the day.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post

Am I cured? I am not so sure. I think I will always have to be on guard for my AV popping up as life goes on, but I do think the longer I go, the stronger I get.
Congratulations on the sober time and realizing what a great sober live there is.

For myself thinking that there is a possibility of being cured is nothing but my AV leading me towards a drink.

My logic goes like this. I have not drank for a long time so I can obviously quit drinking. So if I can quit drinking I really don't have a problem and if I don't have a problem one drink will not hurt.

This logic almost killed me. I did not drink for six years but I was not in recovery. A glass of wine sent me into a 4 year death spiral that I just barely was able to recover from.

I'm an alcoholic and always will be and this is something I must not forget
Old 04-25-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I went back to drinking enough times to know what happens.
I've accepted my relationship with alcohol is self destructive toxic and parasitic.

All I know is I no longer want to drink or drug and I absolutely know this is the way I want to live the rest of my life

D
Old 04-25-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post Bug!!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I remember the insanity (not only the hangover) but before drinking, fighting with myself on "how much" liquor should I buy at the store? Constantly lying to myself "surely it will take a few days to go through a bottle." Wrong. Congrats on Day 204!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish I'd gone 204 days without even the thought of it.

At over twice that long sober.... I have hit rough moments when the thought of drinking or the sense of loss of drinking plagued me.

That said, I embrace and cherish my sober life enough to see those moments for what they are; moments of longing for an imagined loss, not a real loss.

In actual fact what I have gained is a million times the things I have given up in favor of sobriety. The promises of alcohol are false and living a life with drinking only led me to sacrifice things that o truly value.

I think it would be nice to never be plagued agIn with 'what if' thoughts or passing moments of images of the alleged 'good times'. On the other hand these are also good exercise.... These moments lead me to stay actively sober and keep my awareness attuned to what I most value.... They help remind me that I could easily go back to throwing my life away by throwing poison down my throat.

Not for me.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Excellent! A great motivation for a newbie like myself. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Buggirl! I'm not so clear on my last hangover. What I do remember is that sick wasted feeling I'd get drinking all day long on Saturday. I thought of it this morning and it turned my stomach. How did I think that was a great way to spend a rainy day?
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post. Thank you for sharing Buggirl.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow didn't expect people to like the post so much, I just wrote was in my head! I really am glad it has helped people. All of you on here have helped me so much and got me to where I am today! Love to you all, I wouldn't be here without you!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, after another sober Saturday evening, it was really funny to see hungover folk this morning going to shops. Impulse buying and justifying how ill they feel. I have been there so many times, but now I am glad that's not me!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmm..."really funny"...thank you for reminding me to be compassionate today.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think you read this has intended! I was saying how life has changed and how strange it was observing others doing what I used to. #quick to judge
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AlmA

Buggirl you are very fortunate!

You have the determination Not to drink again!
But this is an illness and never let your guard down to AV!

Sadly some of us do not learn to handle the AV, or are weaker, or have damaged brains, more years drinking heavily, mixing with drugs and quemicals, mental illnesses, etc…
And many of us fall of the wagon again and again and learn in the hard way!
We are all in different situations and stages...

I pray for the one that is back in the hole
and I am happy you overcomed it and you see how far you got
Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well said!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Is it just me or did the OP come off as a bit, hhmmm... ... ...pompous?

Buggirl, I'm glad you've got it all figured out... Hopefully, us newbies can make it to 200+ days, as 200+ days of sobriety is a great achievement! Unfortunately, staying sober--for a long perod of time--is hard for a lot of people, hence the drinking posts you're referring to.