Notices

Now sober I understand why I drank. I'm about to relapse.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dog69 View Post
The neighbor stumbled over blown out of his gourd talking about how much he missed me, not the sober me, but the drunk me. As if I have died, really pissed me off actually. That reminded me of a vid on youtube that I die laughing at everytime I see it. It's really sad, as it's real, but at the same time comical as hell. At least imo. I don't know if it's against rules to post this if it is I won't do it again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBM48uF35ms
Very funny clip - he looks like he's at that stage where he still really believes that he doesn't look drunk to others - I remember even thinking that when I'd just fallen over and blamed my (flat) shoes - twice.

No point being pissed off with your neighbour though - as someone on here said, drinkers are like crabs in a bucket, if one tries to climb out we drag it back. It's just what happens. You're probably doing the best thing turning your phone off if your old drinking buddies are trying to claw you back in, but you've got enough on your plate at the moment without wasting energy on being pissed off.

Have you got any sober buddies you could hang out with?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dog69 View Post
First off I didn't drink. I went and lifted weights and then ate a bunch, then I napped. Despite my hands I am actually quit strong I just have bad dexterity and severe nerve damage in all fingers. I make rock saws for rockhounds. My main selling platform is Ebay. I've been on ebay since the beenie baby days and if I say things aren't moving the way that they should that's how it is. Not trying to sound overly smartass but I know what i'm doing. I will branch out, I have other places to sell this stuff it was just another thing I haven't thought through clearly that is screwing me and just adding to my problems. I am offering stuff for less than I ever have that used to fly off the shelves, now nothing. You do realize 100 million people are out of the workforce right? That does take a toll after awhile. And yes, people are still buying stuff but to say it's like it was is an overstatement-at the least..
I apologize for not replying sooner. Life can be a little crazy here sometimes and my non photographic memory doesn't help.
Yes, I am well aware there are 100 million people out of work. They aren't the customers I look for. If I did that then I'd be paying them to make my product flr them.
My market is those with expendable income. Thats who I cater to. I would be SOL if I kept trying to make and sell something that isn't selling,too. I think any company out there would close its doors if it was trying to sell product that isn't selling. There's quite a few examples out there of this? Take auo manufacturers.. A Few of them stopped making certain models as they weren't selling and then they started selling a new model.
Personally I can't limit my product to making only one or two things. Ive had to broaden my scope Of what I'm capable of doing and get into many different areas of my skill.
I have yet to sell a single thing online. Everything has been word of mouth. No advertising either. Having my product at high end consignment shops helped.
I can't say I know what I'm doing. I just do it. If something I make doesn't sell, I don't make it. That much I know.

Something I found pretty wild:
I had a supply of scrollsawn grizzlies, eagles, and wolves. Had them quite some time at my price and they didn't sell.
Then I jacked the price up.
I don't have them any more.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Dog69,

I have a slightly similar background in as much as I used to be a panel beater (auto body repair to Americans) and motor mechanic. I suffer from inherited arthritis, not as bad as your injury but it does mean I couldn't do my old job even if I wanted to (and at 55 I don't).

Out of nessecity I moved into engineering sales, not my dream career but it pays way more than I ever earned in a factory.

It seems to me that you were doing the right thing in going back to college but maybe just not at that particular place.

Maybe a way to go would be to get a job - any job you can, and maybe do a course that is part tutorial and part correspondence. Not much of a plan I realise but it would be a start and would maybe improve your prospects a notch
Old 04-29-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going dog?

D