Notices

scared and new

Old 04-24-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared and new

I have never admitted to myself I have a problem with alcohol although I have known for a very long time. I drink daily but usually manage to get to work with a smile. About lunchtime I pretend I have a choice about whether I have a drink that night or not and usually justify this by thinking ive had a bad day or I dont have an issue.
Its been 4 years I am scared I want to be normal like other people, I am anxious all the time and irrational. I would like to plan to go somewhere and go rather than be so hungover I cant function.

Somehow getting it out it making it real. This is day two which I manage every month or so, here I go. My stomach is burning and im itchy all over but I know this will be better in a few days and thats when I pretend to myself I dont have a problem again. Not this time !!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Welcome to SR bluesky .

A lot of encouragement and wisdom around if you get involved .

Keep on

m
Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bluesky - I know you'll find a home here - we're all very friendly

Posting here and reading other people's stories really help me remember I really did have a problem.

SR helped me change my life. I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi bluesky, you sound so much like I was >3 years ago, and I promise you that life is much better after you stop drinking. It can be hard getting rid of old habits, and dealing with cravings, but that stage doesn't last forever. The payoff is feeling happy and well the next morning, losing weight, not having to bargain with yourself about drinking, more money in your wallet, and having a positive self-image.
I suggest you change your habits around the time you normally drink, eat plenty of food you like (you'll have the spare calories), and don't allow yourself to get too hungry, tired or stressed.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I followed the same pattern too. I'm on day five of sobriety and I'm having to do a lot of work on my recovery plan in order to stop repeating the same pattern.

Read around and join in if you want, everyone is very friendly and supportive here :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for you reply. I haven't stopped crying whilst writing or since posting it, its a relief to get it out. But it's also hard to not pretend anymore.

Thank you xx
Old 04-24-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by bluesky45 View Post
Thank you for you reply. I haven't stopped crying whilst writing or since posting it, its a relief to get it out. But it's also hard to not pretend anymore.

Thank you xx
Hey, being an alcoholic is nothing to be ashamed of if you stop drinking. It will only become relevant to my life if I allow it to.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi bluesky, you sound so much like I was >3 years ago, and I promise you that life is much better after you stop drinking. It can be hard getting rid of old habits, and dealing with cravings, but that stage doesn't last forever. The payoff is feeling happy and well the next morning, losing weight, not having to bargain with yourself about drinking, more money in your wallet, and having a positive self-image.
I suggest you change your habits around the time you normally drink, eat plenty of food you like (you'll have the spare calories), and don't allow yourself to get too hungry, tired or stressed.
Thank you, its really supportive to know someone has been where I am and is now where I want to be. Your reply has meant alot. Thank you
Old 04-24-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome bluesky Your first sentence in your OP could have been written by me, now I've been sober for two years, you came to the right place to get support for your recovery.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You've come to a good place for support and useful info. I'm glad you joined us!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a place where people understand.

I think it’s natural to be afraid of the unknown, just try not let it steer you back to the same old same old patterns.

I’ve been to many thousands of meetings and don’t recall anyone ever saying their aim was to be an alcoholic. To this day I find most to be grateful for following the sober path that they did.

That path started with us being honest with ourselves about OUR drinking AND ACCEPTING the fact we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row in safety.

Then the work begins which can be reading a lot of posts here, perhaps attending a lot of meetings and associating mainly with sober people. Included would be changes we need to make to recognize and repair the reasons we drank.

This can easily return us to a sober life and be the person we want to be.

BE WELL
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bluesky
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find as time goes on that voice in your head that says this time it will be different, this time you can control it. Don't listen! Have you considered an AA meeting? Or some form of support including this site?
Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hadn't considered any support until I found this site. I didnt know what to do or where to turn. I have been reading this forum and just to know there are people like you who understand is abit overwhelming at the moment. I think I need to look at aa meeting's as ive tried so many times before. I am really grateful for all your support already.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bluesky!!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

its day four !!

This is my second day four this year, ive not had a day 5 as yet but that's changing tomorrow.
This time feels worse so im glad its the last time im doing it. Still itchy and getting hot flushes bur iis not as bad. More exhausted today, I usually wake around 2 am till 5-6 am then sleep another hour then fo to work. Last night I slept midnight till 6.30 am !! So I think I must be catching up. Taking multi vitamins and iron. Plenty of water and eating lots of rubbish which i'm really wanting.
Cant wait for itching/ tingling to stop its awful. Keeping writing to re commit but also to re read when I forget how ****** this feels.

Thanks guys for your support xx
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just another little note to self showing how im doing !!

Its day five !!!! Im tired but in a comforting naturally tired not exhausted strung out way. The itchy prickly feeling is soooo much better and my face is lless tingly. I've had headaches but ive been at work and today was hard but I wasnt anxious or hungover which is an amazing blessing.
Today I felt like a normal person feels, alcohol is there in my mind but coming to this site is an amazing tool. Little things like seeing my name on the 24 mire thread and people there acknowledging my struggle and small acheivements such as Dee, courage2 and soberwolf means the absolute world to me right now.
I looked around the office today and felt like a functioning part rather than trying to act like a functioning part if that makes sense. People of this forum are amazing, we will do this together. We will heal xx
Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bluesky, Day 5 is great. Good for you!

It sounds like you're feeling better physically and beginning to feel better mentally, too.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Thank you for this its amazing for you to take the time LBrain