Notices

I think this site is having an effect on me

Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think this site is having an effect on me

I will try to be as concise as possible. I joined this site because like most I was concerned about my alcohol consumption. My alcohol consumption has actually improved over the last 10 years, becoming less and less. But over this last winter I was pushing it pretty hard on Friday and Saturday. I kind of obsessed over those 2 days as being a reward or an escape from the mundane activity of the week. And in my ingenious mind having that 2 day free pass, I was going to take full advantage. Kind of like an all you can eat buffet. Not acceptable. Since I've joined this site I have a different view. I've read about the destruction it has caused so many, how bad it can truly get, and how much it can control lives. I don't obsess over it or about it. In fact, its losing its importance (probably not the right word) in my life.

I don't believe I've ever said on this site "never again" or anything like that, I try to avoid that. I don't count days etc... Anyway, kind of a boring post but I wanted to share it.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not boring
Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Thomas; not boring at all.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Nice post, thomas. Glad you're sticking around.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Nope, not boring.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SR is a big part of my sober life. They stuck by me in the early days (and there were a lot of day ones, over and over) and believed in me until I could believe in myself again.

I love this place.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thomas, I'm so glad you feel that way. Progress isn't boring - you're doing great.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've only been here a couple days and its helped me ... When I cant sleep because I'm sober or start to think about drinking and get frustrated ... I grab my phone or tablet and hop on here and read or post something ... If nothing else its a healthy distraction where you might learn a thing or two
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR changed my way of thinking too Jeff

D
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It has changed me as well. When I first started posting again in October I was drinking daily and heavily. I had two periods of total abstinence since October, one for about 3 weeks and the other for almost 2 months. Although I can't say that I don't drink at all right now, I am drinking way way less, and only on the weekends. After being sober for awhile I just can't handle the hangovers and I honestly don't want to be drunk all the time!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This site has definitely changed my way of thinking as well- a way of thinking warped and bent by drinking. This site helped me do the first important thing- to change my idea about drinking. To help me put it down. I already knew it was a problem. I already knew it was harmful to me, but SR helped me make that change in thinking necessary to take the first steps toward sobriety.
It's an invaluable resource that I owe a lot to. Being free from drinking is such an amazing thing and I couldn't have done it without the resources on this site.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

SR is awesome