SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Emotional Rollercoaster... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365295-emotional-rollercoaster.html)

MJane91 04-21-2015 02:21 PM

Emotional Rollercoaster...

Evening Guys

Do you ever feel like your on an emotional rollercoaster with fighting this addiction....?

I mean i have such a positive outlook on life since i accepted that im an alcoholic and i know i have the will power to beat it. But apart of me feels like i should always be upbeat and happy otherwise people will think some thing is wrong. In the morning i feel really happy like i can fight the world and then i find myself sitting there crying for no reason (for us girls abit like pms) LOL...

But then i thought hold on a minute were still humans we just have an addiction that we are fighting and until someone has experienced what we are experiencing they wouldn't no. We still have emotions but from my experience im learning to keep my emotions very steady and balanced so i don't get to happy or to sad otherwise i suffer with anxiety.

Does anyone else feel like one second there on top of the world and strong then the next thing your either angry or crying....?!? Its mental i mean i love a good rollercoaster but blimey lol

ScottFromWI 04-21-2015 02:31 PM

Absolutely...it's very common in early sobriety. Your body isn't used to having to deal with all the emotions that come along with everyday life without being sedated. That's why a recovery plan is so important...whether it's Meetings, counseling, rehab, SR or whatever...finding a healthy way to deal with and face those emotions is critical.

MJane91 04-21-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5330286)
Absolutely...it's very common in early sobriety. Your body isn't used to having to deal with all the emotions that come along with everyday life without being sedated. That's why a recovery plan is so important...whether it's Meetings, counseling, rehab, SR or whatever...finding a healthy way to deal with and face those emotions is critical.

ah i think i understand where we kept ourself more a less comatosed and ran away from our feelings and emotions and now we have to face them and deal with them!
I do alot of exercise which helps release my emotions :) i write a journal and use SR every day and i walk my dog :) it relaxes me which is important ! Thank you sweet x

tomsteve 04-21-2015 03:44 PM

Early recovery was a serious roller coaster of emotions/ feelings. Some very high peaks and very deep valleys.
As T.I.M.E. went on and I worked on fixing me and clearing away the wreckage I left behind, the peaks and valleys got closer together.
Today still have em. They aren't near what they used to be and the great thing is the valleys aren't as deep as they used to be and I'm very rarely in a valley.
And I'm good with that today. I wouldn't want the roller coaster to be a straight line ride. I think of two things of that ride:
That's what I searched for drinking/ drugging- no feelings.
A straight line on a heart monitor isn't a good thing.

Anna 04-21-2015 03:56 PM

MJane, it sounds like you're doing many good things to help yourself get through the early days.

I think it's good to know that your emotions are just feelings and they don't control you. You can recognize the feelings and then let them go.

TNTStill 04-21-2015 06:27 PM

I understand the feeling. I have my "I'm a champion" moments and then my "F it all" moments zigzag throughout the day. It sucks to have that up down feeling during the day constantly.

Something that's been helping me during this period of trying to get my life back in order (still working on that) is approaching each day knowing that I'm going to feel really great and at times really crappy.

For me, what I do know is that if I drink I'm guaranteed to feel like ****.

I don't have years sober as of yet but that doesn't bother me. I have today being sober when I could have very easily drank. I take joy in my day's accomplishment of not drinking. Personally it gives me an extra lift the next day.

I still get mad. Like someone said, we're human and it happens. I just try to remember that anger/getting angry is a powerful emotional drinking trigger for me. So I'm working on only letting so much get me mad or get me down.

Prayers to you in your journey.