Notices

The demon still lurks.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The demon still lurks.

Hi Guys,

At the end of this month I will be 7 months sober. I am having a nice easy life in terms of getting on with the every day things that make a difference in not just my own life but in my family's life to and I m trying my very best to apply the steps and smash the illusion of drinking and have stopped romanticizing over the parts of my selective memories that are telling me to relapse.

However I have noticed recently that the demon does raise its ugly head from time to time and this is usually around 6pm every evening when I am feeling extremely stressed from 9 hours of work. I have to really just sit down quietly and try and relax and unwind naturally with a Cold Can of coke and a cigarette hahahah. Stress and anxiety and fear are the worst things when it come to wanting a cold Beer. But I am getting there and really learning how to play it all forward to the rubbish life that it will all lead to if I pick up that first drink.

My entire family are all so proud of me and I've everything to gain and also everything to loose.

It is getting easier.

Peace. x
Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good news RJY the cravings will fade your doing good congrats
Old 04-21-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good work RJY9, 7 months is a fantastic achievement. The old AV can certainly rear it's head at any time, don't forget to keep your toolbox full in case you need it. SR is always here if you need us. I found that caffeine had a much more profound effect on my anxiety after I quit, something to keep in mind and take a look at your consumption.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Good work RJY9, 7 months is a fantastic achievement. The old AV can certainly rear it's head at any time, don't forget to keep your toolbox full in case you need it. SR is always here if you need us. I found that caffeine had a much more profound effect on my anxiety after I quit, something to keep in mind and take a look at your consumption.
I have been quite bad on the caffeine. I drink about 8 cans of Coke Zero a day ahaha. At least its not full sugar but I get what ya sayin about the caffeine. Guess i'm kinda hooked on the Coke Zero.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 Months is fantastic!!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
I have been quite bad on the caffeine. I drink about 8 cans of Coke Zero a day ahaha. At least its not full sugar but I get what ya sayin about the caffeine. Guess i'm kinda hooked on the Coke Zero.
It might not hurt to try something else. Soda doesn't have nearly as much caffeine as coffee does per serving, but 8 cans is quite a bit. I don't know what it is, but even a cup of coffee gets me all jittery now. I used to drink several cups every day when I was drinking, but then again I was hung over or still drunk almost every morning then too so it probably didn't even bump the needle.

I have found ginger ale to be a great drink for me, lots of bite and fizzy but no caffeine.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
Hi Guys,

At the end of this month I will be 7 months sober. I am having a nice easy life in terms of getting on with the every day things that make a difference in not just my own life but in my family's life to and I m trying my very best to apply the steps and smash the illusion of drinking and have stopped romanticizing over the parts of my selective memories that are telling me to relapse.

However I have noticed recently that the demon does raise its ugly head from time to time and this is usually around 6pm every evening when I am feeling extremely stressed from 9 hours of work. I have to really just sit down quietly and try and relax and unwind naturally with a Cold Can of coke and a cigarette hahahah. Stress and anxiety and fear are the worst things when it come to wanting a cold Beer. But I am getting there and really learning how to play it all forward to the rubbish life that it will all lead to if I pick up that first drink.

My entire family are all so proud of me and I've everything to gain and also everything to loose.

It is getting easier.

Peace. x
For me it wasn’t the first, last, or any drink in between, it was the CRUX of the problem that was the causes and conditions of why I became addicted which began in childhood.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 25, “There is a Solution."

Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet.”

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 35, "More About Alcoholism"

So we shall describe some of the mental states that precede a relapse into drinking, for obviously this is the crux of the problem.”

quoted with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-21-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 7 months sober!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Rjy9
Is a cold beer some nice relaxing respite you are depriving yourself of? Or a stepping stone to place that ends in a wild rain soaked ride to a very dark place? It does get easier , when you convince that part of you that sees drinking as pleasant experience , that it isn't , that you know it is an illusion and is actually a destructive activity that you choose not to do. Don't fall for it, you are doing great, keep truckin rootin for ya
Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Well done on 7 months RJY!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months - that is awesome and is something I want to achieve too. I drink 8 Coke Zeros a day too. Haha...I need to work on that too.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic job on 7 months!