SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Does anyone else notice these whacky things on TV and in conversation? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365224-does-anyone-else-notice-these-whacky-things-tv-conversation.html)

TiredOfWaiting0 04-20-2015 05:33 PM

Does anyone else notice these whacky things on TV and in conversation?

Just wondering if anyone else watches TV only to catch frames where actors' eyes haven't been retouched and you can totally notice they are whacked out on drugs by their dilated pupils? This is especially predominant in realtiy TV shows where they don't necessarily have a professional retouching frame by frame. Does anyone else do this??? Do you notice which actors are high with their huuuugggeee cat eyes or restricted pupils?

I have also noticed that you can see the reflection of the lights shining into actors' eyes which makes their pupils appear normal.

Does anyone else tear apart song lyrics and conclude that the song has one meaning and one meaning only - drugs?

Does anyone else notice on commercials, they have breaking crystals and such with hidden drug messages?

Or how about when people are use drug words in normal every day sentences like "pieces" or "rocks" or "insert other drug slang" and they aren't even drug users, but still they rub their nose while they are saying it?

Why are we the ones with the problems when others seem to function just fine on drugs? Hell, others seem to accelerate on drugs. Why is Hollywood allowed to stay high but we are the ones with the problems?

Dee74 04-20-2015 05:37 PM

I've never looked that closely to be honest. Maybe my TV's not big enough or HD enough :)

I was hyper aware of drink and drinkers but that faded with time :)

It's an AA saying never to judge our insides against other peoples outsides.

I have enough experience with drug, drink and addiction to know that anyone using drugs or alcohol in an abusive way is hurting. Don't envy them.

D

TiredOfWaiting0 04-20-2015 05:45 PM

You're right, Dee. I am probably over-obsessing over things I can't have. However, I must say even when I was sober for 5 years, I still always looked for clues of people who were high. And somehow, I envy them. Sick and twisted, I know.

silentrun 04-20-2015 06:42 PM

I think your brain is probably a little obsessed with drugs so it is primed to look for clues of it in your environment . You could try and read up on brain priming and retrain yourself.

ScottFromWI 04-20-2015 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by TiredOfWaiting0 (Post 5328761)
Why is Hollywood allowed to stay high but we are the ones with the problems?

The problems that drugs and alcohol cause are everywhere. Just ask the families of Robin Williams, Phillip Seymour Hoffman or the long line of those who have died drug related deaths prior to them.

Addiction is addiction and it sucks no matter who you are