Notices

Can someone please hold my hand i am struggling

Old 04-20-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone please hold my hand i am struggling

Hi all i am hoping that there is someone out there who can hold my hand for a few days i am now 7 and a half hours into being sober. Yes i know its not great but i have had to start somewhere. Thing is this is the worst i have felt after other failed attempts to quit. I am feeling shaky headache and have lost my appetite, really tempted to drink but really dont want to if that makes sense.

I have been drinking heavily for such a long time i cannot even remember the last day i didnt drink.

Will these feelings go??

Anyone got any advice on how i get through these first few days???

Thanks Tizzkins
Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can be dangerous, tizzkins; have you spoken with your doctor; a medically supervised detox may be the best choice.

I am really glad that you are choosing sobriety. Please be safe.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Hi all i am hoping that there is someone out there who can hold my hand for a few days i am now 7 and a half hours into being sober. Yes i know its not great but i have had to start somewhere. Thing is this is the worst i have felt after other failed attempts to quit. I am feeling shaky headache and have lost my appetite, really tempted to drink but really dont want to if that makes sense. I have been drinking heavily for such a long time i cannot even remember the last day i didnt drink. Will these feelings go?? Anyone got any advice on how i get through these first few days??? Thanks Tizzkins
Welcome tizzkins, you are in the right place. The feelings will pass. Drink lots of water. Try to rest as much as possible. Your appetite will soon return. Take it easy, relax. If the voice comes at you, deep breaths. One minute, one hour and one day at a time.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are all here. But you may need to see a doctor, as withdrawal is very dangerous. How often/much do you drink? And 7 hours is better than 0 so you are doing great!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tizzkins

I am afraid I won't be on SR much this week but I just wanted to let you know I really empathise with you and that what you say makes perfect sense. 7.5 hours into sobriety is really still pretty drunk for me so I have to accept that the first 2 days are going to be horrible after a big binge.

My only advice is to experiment with what makes you feel better. Is there anything on TV, a favourite old book. Getting out of the house or snuggling up on the sofa. Is there a junk food or a warm drink or anything that slightly lifts your mood for a moment? Ice cream? :-)

If so, use it in these early days. It is just a case of taking care and letting sober time elapse - no substitute for that of course.

If you are at all worried though a GP appointment is never a bad thing just to reassure.

I have been there too many times and the only good thing to say about it is that yes, it does get better!

Best wishes

CC
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone at the moment all i can focus on is getting through the first 24 hours but i feel sick and headachy i will admit i was drinking heavily the thing was at one time when i had had too much vodka my body would tell me by making me be physically sick but over the last few months its got like my body has adjusted and i am no longer being sick i am not proud of this next statement but i have been able to get through a whole bottle of vodka in one evening. I am so ashamed.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the quantity. You can try eating some chocolate if you have some. To take your mind off things, try reading some of the people's threads here on SR.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome to the club there are many here who drank a fifth a night for years myself included. As others have mentioned if you start feeling ill get to a hospital ER ASAP. Alcohol withdrawal is very dangerous and is can be fatal. Alcohol withdrawal is much more dangerous than any other drug.

Just take it a day at a time. Concentrate on one thing and one thing only. Stay sober today.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Tizzkins i think your doing awesome getting that 24h is amazing

If you speak to a Dr they can help

Really glad your here
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will no doubt experience insomnia for two or three days or maybe a little more. Try to relax with TV, reading, etc. Eventually the insomnia will lift and you may have a wonderful calm sleep which changes everything. Drink lots of orange juice. And get medical help immediately if things get worse. It's really better to get medical help right now since as has been said, detox from alcohol can be very dangerous. Make sure there is no alcohol available where you live. Throw all the bottles, cans out. It's really better if you're not alone. Better to get medical help right away. Hang tough. You can make it.

W.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have anyone that can stay with you or is staying with you? That might help. Sleep may be difficult for a short time. best wishes to you.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

P.S. To keep yourself occupied, keep posting and reading other posts on SR. That and TV. But as has been said, it's better to get medical help at soon as possible. Hang in there.

W.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you feeling now?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great advice in this thread. I can attest to the supportiveness of this site, so stay close.

Sending you support and peaceful thoughts.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you check in and let us know how you're doing.

Please see your dr or an ER if you are concerned.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SR will hold your hand for the days to come Tizzkins, always someone here.

Hang in there, eat, drink plenty of water and let the hours pass.

And come back here a lot.....will be watching out for your posts.

All the best.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Hi all i am hoping that there is someone out there who can hold my hand for a few days i am now 7 and a half hours into being sober. Yes i know its not great but i have had to start somewhere. Thing is this is the worst i have felt after other failed attempts to quit. I am feeling shaky headache and have lost my appetite, really tempted to drink but really dont want to if that makes sense.

I have been drinking heavily for such a long time i cannot even remember the last day i didnt drink.

Will these feelings go??

Anyone got any advice on how i get through these first few days???

Thanks Tizzkins
Hello Hun,

these sound like withdrawals which i suffered when i recently moved back home with my family, we decided to cut down what i was drinking to one a night to ween me of which actually turned out to be quite dangerous i was doing and feeling great until i was walking through the middle of a shop and had a seizure and nearly died in my mums arms. I was hospitalised immediately and fortunately i got medication that calmed the nervous system so it wouldn't effect you me as much as soon as i got out of hospital i stopped drinking all together and had no withdrawals since it does get easier.

im now 2 days sober ( from the last time i drank )

your doing really well the first few days i was sweating, itching agitated felt sick etc keep pulling through your doing great xx
Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with the others about seeking medical attention if you start feeling too bad. Congrats on 7 hours, as you said you have to start somewhere. I remember counting the hours.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not join the Class of April support thread Tizz?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-13.html

D