SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hopefull (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365113-hopefull.html)

Larry2 04-19-2015 02:12 AM

Hopefull

Hi came across this site whilst browsing and as im just 2days back on the wagon and need to stay on it so I thought signing up may help. I did stay off alcohol for 25 days but when I took doctors offer of counselling sessions the counselling starting me drinking again, I have heard good reports about counselling but it was not for me.

ZaBoozer 04-19-2015 02:16 AM

Welcome Larry,

This is a great site with lots of resources and very helpful people. Congratulations on your two days. Keep at it chap

JaneLane 04-19-2015 02:17 AM

Hi Larry

Welcome! Have you tried a different counsellor? It took me some time to find someone that was the right fit for me but when i did, it was well worth the persistence!

I also recommend looking into other recovery methods too. Have a look around here and you'll find a wealth of information :-)

Larry2 04-19-2015 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer (Post 5326005)
Welcome Larry,

This is a great site with lots of resources and very helpful people. Congratulations on your two days. Keep at it chap

Thanks for reply ZaBoozer, it felt to be a nice site as soon as I came across it, having like minded people to talk to I don't feel so isolated with this battle.

Larry2 04-19-2015 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by JaneLane (Post 5326007)
Hi Larry

Welcome! Have you tried a different counsellor? It took me some time to find someone that was the right fit for me but when i did, it was well worth the persistence!

I also recommend looking into other recovery methods too. Have a look around here and you'll find a wealth of information :-)

Thanks for reply and advice JaneLane. on line is all new to me, I have to look up the meanings of threads and tags lol so as to use this site more efficiently.

PurpleKnight 04-19-2015 10:30 AM

Welcome to the Forum Larry!! :wave:

Dee74 04-19-2015 02:51 PM

welcome to SR Larry :)

I think it's pretty common for some of us to want to drink after our first counselling session or AA meeting or whatever - those things are uncomfortable and drinking's what we've done for years when we're uncomfortable.

I'm just saying...maybe it's best to look at your alcoholism as the problem and not the counsellor? :)

D

Soberwolf 04-19-2015 03:48 PM

Welcome Larry

Hevyn 04-19-2015 03:50 PM

Great to meet you Larry. Congrats on your 2 days. You're never alone. :)

Anna 04-19-2015 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5326894)
I'm just saying...maybe it's best to look at your alcoholism as the problem and not the counsellor? :)

Yes, this is definitely worth thinking about. Counselling may have brought to the surface some of the issues you need to deal with. It's bound to be uncomfortable in the beginning. Early recovery is a difficult.

I'm glad you're finding your way around SR. We do understand how hard this is.