Notices

Major job change in early sobriety - anyone done it?

Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Major job change in early sobriety - anyone done it?

Hello folks
Just wanted to see the views of you wise folk..........
I know there's a consensus that major life changes in early sobriety are probably best avoided I fell compelled to make one.

I'm 5 and a half months sober and really starting to feel well and strong. I've not been happy in my job for some time - I've been shoehorned into a role that I didn't really want by outside influences. My job looks nothing like it did when I signed up for it and I want to go back to the career I started out doing and lose the management responsibilities. The trouble is to do that would mean a drop in salary.

Unfortunately we can't afford to do that but there is an alternative - to go freelance. It's a bit of a gamble but there is plenty of work out there, has been for some time and will be for the foreseeable future.

I feel really excited and liberated at the thought, have the support from my wife but there are just one or two niggly doubts. I suppose fear of the unknown is part of it as I've always managed to hold down a job despite a serious 30 year drink habit.

I feel that you only get one shot and this could open up opportunities that I've never thought of before

Is the idea of not making changes too soon a hard and fast "rule" or have some of you just gone ahead, taken the risk and lived to tell the tale?

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences
Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made a geographic move in Week 1 (for my husband's job), left both my children behind in university, and moved to a place where English was not the first language. I survived and thrived.

You're nearly six months sober and it sounds like this would be a good opportunity for you. Maybe you are ready for this?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have not and doing so would scare me to death but I hate change. I am a very routine person.

Pray about it, then pray some more. When you are done praying, pray
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No lifestyle changes is a good rule of thumb, but some changes cannot be avoided. I had to move house (and towns) in my first 6 months cos my old house was sold and demolished.

It was very stressful - but I stayed sober, with the help and support of SR

Consider your recovery in options A and B, along with everything else, and then make your choice

I wish you the best with whatever you decide Hendrix.

D
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

double.

D
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not related to alcohol, but you cite income as the reason why you'd like to head out on your own.

Do check out the tax laws. Frequently taxes plus downtime between gigs tends to absorb most of the additional income making it a net zero. I'd hate to have you make the change and get a nasty surprise later.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have made a massive career move since starting sobriety moved into the new role 23 days ago and have now been sober 18 days.

I found the new job has been a massive kick up the arse to stay sober as am focusing all my time on it so not thinking of drinking and also it's a fresh start with new people who don't know your past.

Good luck whatever your decision.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I moved countries and went to a more demanding job. It paid off, I felt like I could reinvent myself and start meeting new people as a non drinker.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with a lot of the posts

i think you should go for it Hendrix
Old 04-17-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It happened for me right before I got sober, but making the huge change from employee to freelancer/self-employed had a lot to do with my getting ready to finally "wing it" and try out the sobriety thing If you are feeling ready to freelance, and since you say there's plenty of work out there for you, I'd say maybe now is a great time to go for it! Good luck
Old 04-17-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made a "career move" in that I actually went through the interview process, got a job and am now no longer unemployed. I have rejoined the human race and it's working well for me!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a very major job change, but I moved into another position in ~my 3rd sober month, which started to involve a set of tasks and responsibilities that I had never done before or only marginally. That was in addition to the "usual" kind of work that I had been doing for over 3 years before I got sober, in the same job/institution. I am someone who typically loves change and novelty when sober, so it was a positive move for me at that point, but of course also challenge and I had lots of anxieties for quite a few months. If I had/could to do it all over again though, I would choose to do just the same. The position I moved into in early sobriety is continually very dynamic and involves lots of challenges that are sometimes unexpected, but also more freedom and independence compared with most of my previous professional situations. I'm very free, and actually expected, to initiate new projects, collaborations, and endeavors. Of course with all this comes amplified responsibility, but also generally increased trust that I need to stand up to.

I moved states and once even continents earlier while I was already drinking heavily, major job change each time, and I handled it quite well even in that condition. Well, I should say relatively well as I will never know now how it might have been had I not been an active alcoholic during those times.

My personal opinion on these things is that it's highly individual. If you feel that you know yourself quite well, including what types of challenges motivate you and tend to cause difficulties, if you are feeling relatively self-confident and don't have major emotional and other life issues, I would say go for it. My philosophy is that these questions are always best decided in the context of our personalities and individual situations. Similar to the other question that comes up here all the time, whether dating is a good idea in early sobriety or not.

Congrats on your 5.5 sober months and the fact that you feel excitement and positive anticipation is a good one, I would say
Old 04-17-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lost a job after 23 years at the same company.
Found another job after 4 months.
I was sober for over a year before this happened.

It was much easier to deal with sober. I needed to have my wits to move on.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When my first husband and I got married, he had been sober for a year. A few months after we got married we moved across the country so I could go to law school. He had to find a new job and support us, and he was uprooted from his AA peeps as well (he went to meetings the second we hit NJ, though).

Now that I'm six years sober, myself, I NEVER would have asked him to risk his sobriety that way. BUT he did all the right things and is still sober 34 years later. AND he DID have that first year under his belt.

My own suggestion is that if you can stand to wait a few more months, you will be on much more solid ground. It's great that you're doing well at five months, but one thing about freelancing--you can really start any time.

My suggestion is that you use the next few months to do some planning, researching, networking, etc. I'm not sure what kind of freelancing you do, but maybe you want to investigate creating a website so clients can find you, creating a presence on LinkedIn, and those kinds of preparations. This way, when you're ready to take the plunge, you'll be all set to hit the ground running.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Thanks for the advice and support and sharing your experiences.
I've decided to bite the bullet and go for it!
Letter of resignation written and ready for Monday - I'll have to work 2 months notice so it won't be an immediate change............

............it feels really liberating and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity and to be in a position to give this a go.....

SereneEdition - income is not the reason for leaving my present job, it would be a reason to stay if anything. I want to leave to do something more worthwhile and rewarding - and to get away from the damn desk and stop being so sedentary!

I'll keep you posted
Old 04-24-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I've bitten the bullet and am now working my notice. No job to go to but plenty of agency work around - different places and types of work and hours to suit, and a better hourly rate. Will be lovely t be able to do a good days work and be able to leave it behind and not get involved in all the politics and petty workplace squabbles.
My biggest problem is how to get out of the boozy leaving do that their planning! I've not told them at work that I've stopped drinking - don't plan to it's nobody's business but mine - but I need a dodge!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you are not happy with your job and you have an out, take it.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Hendrix way to go you bud
Old 04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oops, looks like I was late to the show... good for you hendrix!