Notices

Mom Guilt/Feminine Failure

Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cambie03 View Post
I also have trouble taking my medication (Lexapro) due to a bad memory and general procrastination issues, and if I don't take it for a few days, my anxiety starts ramping up and sobriety becomes really difficult. I've luckily got my husband involved, he's very organized and brings my meds to me every morning so I don't forget/procrastinate... LOL, it sounds a little weird/creepy to write "my husband brings me my meds" but it really has worked for me! If there's anyone you can get involved to help you I highly recommend it!

I think women's issues is a really important part of alcoholism and I found the book "Drink: The Intimate Relationship between Women and Alcohol" to be a complete eye opener. Basically says there are some things that might be harder on female alcoholics due to societal pressures including the madonna/***** complex (the expectation that women either perfect or bad with little in-between). I can only imagine that the societal pressures are even greater when you're a mother - but I found the book to be helpful in identifying the societal pressures, realizing that I identified with them, and then letting go of what society expected of me and what I needed to do to help myself. It really helped me in early sobriety so I highly recommend this book!

Cambie, I am on it. That book sounds right up my alley at the moment. The pressures women and mothers have are a little different in recovery. I was very glad for a sober active day with my son. I would have never done that if I was still drinking.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I think going to the SMART meeting in person is a great idea. It's bound to be scary the first time, but maybe attending the meetings will give you the extra support that keeps you focussed on your goals and helps you to recognise that AV next time it (I always think of mine as a 'he' for some reason?!) starts whispering in your brain.

I know some people do more than one support method, but I think that would confuse me. Might be worth going along to the SMART meeting, then trying an AA one as well and see what suits you. You sound like you're determined anyway. I hope you update us re the SMART meeting and how you get on. Good luck x
Beccy, thank you for the wisdom and advice. I spent a lot of time looking through AA materials last night. It may sound premature, but it did not resonate with my like SMART and AVRT has - especially SMART. For now, I am continuing my SMART workbook and am excited to move on to each new topic because each one is something I really have been missing with life. I feel so much more confident when I am working my program. I just need to keep it up.

I will keep you all updated about the SMART meeting.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's great Pouncer. I think it's fantastic that there are so many different types if group open to us - and everyone's recovery is different. I just didn't want you to feel the doors of AA weren't open to you because you're not religious, that's all. As long as you are back on track; focussed; wanting sobriety; and have a support network available to you that you are ready to use, that's the important thing.

Good luck with your SMART meeting today.

Beccy x
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PS. Just looked at the SMART website as hadn't done so before and it's good to know what's available (and sometimes old drinking pals actually approach me for advice re where to go, and SMART sounds like it might suit one of them). No meetings near me though unfortunately. I will still tell him about it though as he has transport and plenty of time. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Beccy, SMART has an online Skype meeting services. There are multiple online meetings at their website which take place daily and their network is growing. They have a different approach and it tends to be very non-recoveryism - meaning, whatever works for you, works for you. Unlike AVRT, SMART does not preach total abstinence, although in practice, almost everyone in SMART does abstinence-based recovery.

I am glad I at least looked at AA. In the end, we all have to do what resonates and works for ourselves. I have a better understanding of 12-step programs at the very least, which is good to know.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks - I'll pass that on if they approach me again.