Notices

I don't think I can do this.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by buk1000 View Post
Runner, have you not told your bar friends that you no longer drink? Is there a reason that you don't want to take that step? Congratulations on the plan, it seems to be serving you well. But it sounds like you might need to lose your phone on the weekend or come to an understanding with your friends or that scene will play out repeatedly.
Hi Buk,

No, I haven't told them I no longer drink because I am not confident I will never drink again. Also, I haven't even made it 30+ days without having at least one drink.

I haven't told them because as soon as I do, I'm sure I'll end up drinking with them and they'll be thinking, "I thought she stopped drinking!?" That situation has happened far too many times so I haven't told anyone, and I probably will not tell anyone until I make it past 30 days.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
Right on!! I feel, that once I made the decision to quit drinking, to never have that first drink, it be a me easier for me. The inner arguments with myself all but disappeared. I also noticed life unfolded daily with ease. It's like the universe cleared the path for me, steering me away from temptation. I don't believe in coincidence, I believe that everything happens for a reason!
I agree about the Universe!! Everytime I contemplate drinking the Universe tells me no, in one way or another, and if ignore the signs I regret my decision the next day. I usually ignore the signs but I've been trying to listen to them for the past week, because I'm sick of doing the same thing over and over again.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Here are some great ideas To augment your plan.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4957456
Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I was drinking my art went on the back burner. I didn't even miss it. But now I am back doing it and it is so therapeutic! I hope you will stay with this. It can really help when you are down.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
When I was drinking my art went on the back burner. I didn't even miss it. But now I am back doing it and it is so therapeutic! I hope you will stay with this. It can really help when you are down.
This is my first time trying to do anything artistic... I bought a small canvas and a pack of sharpies that glow in black light. I love using sharpies so I'm going to doodle on the canvas and see how it turns out.

Maybe I'll enter it here: http://m.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/Chal...spx?eid=810662

^^ I didn't even know that existed when I bought them last night. I just found it right now...
Old 05-02-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that what you did last night was so important. For me, physically making a change and doing something different at the time I normally drank made a big difference. You did something out of the ordinary for you and it not only kept you out of the bar, it has brought you a new sense of fun and joy. Awesome!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Know that you can do this
Soberwolf:

I really like your quote: "I am strong because I have been weak, fearless because I have been afraid, wise because I have been foolish". Wisdom comes from suffering, from failure, from imperfection, from fear. The Book of Solomon, part of the Apochrypha, says that those who seek it finding it waiting at their doors.

W.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

So, it's been 3+ months since I've posted this thread and I've yet to make it to 30 days sober. Pssshh, who am I kidding!? I've yet to make it to 7 days sober... *hangs head in shame*

I don't know what's wrong with me!! Actually, yes I do--I have TOO MUCH free time (which leads to boredom) and I can't handle it. So, I drink wine at night because it speeds up the time between 5pm and 9pm/10pm, which is when I go to sleep. (Then again, this thought just popped in my head: when I'm busy, I tell myself I'm drinking to relax because I'm stressed and need a break. I guess I'm just making excuses!)

Lastly, I haven't gotten drunk in 30+ days but that's not saying much, as I have a high tolerance. I'm able to drink a bottle of wine and only feel a little tipsy. I've gotten pretty good at not drinking more than a bottle of wine, but that sounds insane--a bottle of wine is a lot!!

Anyway, these are just random thoughts I had to let out... I still don't have anyone to talk to about my struggles so I'm hoping you guys on SR can help me?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

A good recovery plan is worth its weight in good SoberRunner - there's some really great ideas here?

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A good recovery plan is worth its weight in good SoberRunner - there's some really great ideas here? https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf D
Thank you, D! I'm about to go to sleep--but read the Intro and it seems like a great read!--so I'm committing to making that (pdf) my "homework" tomorrow night. No wine, just reading and learning.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
For me to stay sober, I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Once I got to that point, I was able to stay sober.
Same. I could not stand drinking anymore. I was so utterly disgusted and worn down that finally I wondered, would life be better if I just stopped? Not sorta stop it or stop for awhile but just STOP. Looking at everyone around me who were totally content and centered in life without drinking and daily hangovers showed me that life without was possible.

I guess I'm not sure what to say about the two glasses of wine a night. I don't know what to say because I never did that. I always drank 10 to 15 drinks. That's why I got so incredible sick of it. It was like aversion therapy.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot many may not know what Michaels is because it's only in the US... It's an arts and crafts store: Arts & Crafts | Framing | Michaels Stores ? Shop Online Now

Anyone who loves arts and crafts can spend hours there!
I can wander around there for an hour easy! I used to buy paints there for painting 25mm lead minatures. It's also a good place to get balsa wood and other stuff.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A good recovery plan is worth its weight in good SoberRunner - there's some really great ideas here? https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf D
Thank you, D! I'm about to go to sleep--but read the Intro and it seems like a great read!--so I'm committing to making that (pdf) my "homework" tomorrow night. No wine, just reading and learning.
Well, it's almost 7:00 PM... I'm at home on a lovely Friday night and sticking to last night's comittment: no wine and reading the pdf D suggested.

I just sat down to eat dinner then it's time to read, read, read... (Although there's a little voice saying, "You can't stay home on a Friday night!! You're young--you should be out having fun with everyone esle downtown! You can read that tomorrow..."

But, I won't fall for the voice...this time. Who knows about next time, as I tend to always fall for it.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

with a good recovery plan - that you can use in daily life - you can eventually stop worrying about the next time SoberRunner

til then just focus on now. You're doing great

D
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good work SoberRunner
Old 07-25-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You can do it.

It's totally 'normal' to struggle to get there.

But keep that vision, and keep asking 'what more do I need to do, in order to fully embrace sobriety ?'

You're a runner? Me too. A year and a half sober. Just finished a euphoric early am training trail run. 50k three weeks away. Running was always good.... Now it's euphoric.

Life is so much better without the deathspin of booze.

You can do it
Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Am I just not ready for sobriety? I want to live a sober life but after a few days of not drinking, my reasons for wanting to live a sober life tend to disappear. For example, my drinking has gone waaayyy down since I've been on this site. When I do drink, the urge to drink a lot has disappeared. For example, last night I only had 2 glasses of wine--not in wine glasses because I trashed those--and I poured the rest down the sink. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong because I can't stop drinking 100%, forever? I want to not even want 1 or 2 glasses of wine...
The fact that you WANT those two glasses of wine should tell you something. I spent an entire year as a "conscious" drinker. I tried to control my drinking. I will have two drinks tonight. That would work for a few days and then two drinks would turn into five. I already had two, whats the difference if I have more, right? Conscious drinking. I could tell you exactly how many I had even though my goal for the evening was a lesser amount. Don't think of not drinking ever again. Don't use the word "forever". That was a death sentence for me. Just don't drink today. I am not drinking anything just for today. Tomorrow...repeat.

Jennifer
Old 07-25-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Soberwolf:

I really like your quote: "I am strong because I have been weak, fearless because I have been afraid, wise because I have been foolish". Wisdom comes from suffering, from failure, from imperfection, from fear. The Book of Solomon, part of the Apochrypha, says that those who seek it finding it waiting at their doors.

W.
Thank you
Old 07-25-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
I had many attempts at sobriety before it really stuck. I would have a bunch of drinks and then go 5-9 days or so clean before my AV started kicking in saying why not have a few. Eventually I wanted to quit more than I wanted to drink because I hated the misery which would follow an awful binge.

It is true, you will now have free time where you used to either be drunk/drinking/hungover. I look back and don't know how I got anything done before.
I don't know how I got anything done too!!!!!!! I'd wake up and see my apartment is a mess. Don't know how it got that way. Blackouts are a mess. I'd always pay my bills but nothing else. Go figure. John
Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Hi All,

Thank you for all of the replies! I didn't have any wine last night so I got some reading done and watched a little TV. Before I knew it, it was 11:00 PM and I went to sleep.

BUT, I felt tired waking up this morning... I'm starting to notice I seem to have more energy in the morning if I've had wine the night before (but my quality of sleep is worse). Why does that happen?