Notices

Drunken House-guests?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newpage119 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great advice.....I was thinking of telling her that I am sober now, and so is the house......so she can make her own decision if she wants to have a couple of sober days....

Just wanted advice to be sure I wasn't overreacting! THANKS!
You definitely aren't overreacting at all. Setting boundaries is a tough thing for us to do, especially with those close to us. And it is good that you asked.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had to deal with something similar last year. I'd booked a trip, rented an apartment and my sister who drinks a lot barged in on my holiday without asking me. I was only 7 or 8 months sober at the time, and I told her she was welcome to come, but that I would not be comfortable with any booze in the apartment, but that I would be ok with her drinking at restaurants etc. She took umbrage at this and decided not to come, which was probably for the best. It made me realize how dependent on alcohol she is.
I believe that your home is your sanctuary, and you set the rules, as others here have also said. You are not in any way overreacting, in my opinion. Good luck and congratulations on your sobriety! Protect it at all costs!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Not over reacting. It is your life. Your life depends on what actions you take.

I hope you get to enjoy each others company.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

....funny this should get brought up. This is exactly what is happening to me at the moment. I have a guest / long distance partner ( know that sounds odd, but its the nature of the thing....) staying here. Has come at my invitation. Has been before and this is first with me non drinking.

Its a cross cultural relationship. My refusal of a drink isn't really something to respected. Its more me being rude. I'm diminishing the quality of her time here by not joining in. She drinks a bit.....I've been to bars, liquor store etc in the last week. In the evenings there's usually a glass of wine on the table.

Got some weeks of this too. It tests your mental attitude to drinking. Not easy.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
I had to deal with something similar last year. I'd booked a trip, rented an apartment and my sister who drinks a lot barged in on my holiday without asking me. I was only 7 or 8 months sober at the time, and I told her she was welcome to come, but that I would not be comfortable with any booze in the apartment, but that I would be ok with her drinking at restaurants etc. She took umbrage at this and decided not to come, which was probably for the best. It made me realize how dependent on alcohol she is.
I believe that your home is your sanctuary, and you set the rules, as others here have also said. You are not in any way overreacting, in my opinion. Good luck and congratulations on your sobriety! Protect it at all costs!
I think my problem is that this sister drinks SO MUCH!
My other sister visited and stayed for a week, and I when I told her I would not be drinking, she said "Well we don't HAVE to drink ALCOHOL, silly"....and proceeded to NOT drink all week...not even hard for her to do. She is a lite drinker. (obviously)

My brothers come all the time and have a beer or 2. That isn't scary.

It is THIS sister that is making me nervous. Probably cause I drank SO MUCH with her a little over 5 months ago, and I need to safeguard my quit. This is the most important thing in my life right now.

I will tell her that I won't be drinking, and won't have alcohol in the house and see what happens!
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made that decision newpath

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
....funny this should get brought up. This is exactly what is happening to me at the moment. I have a guest / long distance partner ( know that sounds odd, but its the nature of the thing....) staying here. Has come at my invitation. Has been before and this is first with me non drinking.

Its a cross cultural relationship. My refusal of a drink isn't really something to respected. Its more me being rude. I'm diminishing the quality of her time here by not joining in. She drinks a bit.....I've been to bars, liquor store etc in the last week. In the evenings there's usually a glass of wine on the table.

Got some weeks of this too. It tests your mental attitude to drinking. Not easy.
It's your life and your health. Those who love you may not understand your choices, but they should respect them

D
Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

It's not so bad at the moment tho the weekend is looming.

I'm hoping that maybe she may enjoy a bit of a break from drinking herself.

This week has been a test tho. But even if the bottle is just sitting there, something in me just doesn't want it at the momment.....tho I feel that I'm tempting fate daily.