Notices

Sober Weekender Thread April 16 until...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
hang in there pouncer... stay close and remember -
POST BEFORE YOU DRINK... in fact, post instead of drinking...
You bet!

That is my mantra now. I have been preparing for this particular trigger. I am planning a quick astrophotography jaunt with the kids tonight in the mountains. Have to be sober for that! Plus, I am going to get them in bed early so I can working a writing project and my sobriety workbook, too.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening everyone,

As others have said, no need to apologise Weasel

Fun in sobriety Part 2. A white van with overhanging ladders has just had an argument with some roadside signage. Driver desperately looking for someone else to blame.

Really nice day weather wise. Think I will take a stroll to Hoxton
Old 04-20-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Weekend thread goes rogue again. Five hundred? Brain, you can post so I'm not last again.

On my way into the office. I don't want to get out of my toasty warm car to make the walk. Raw. Windy and rainy and cold. Yuck.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

well Ruby ------ I have discovered youtube to be a treasure of music. Things you just can't find elsewhere. Listened to a bill monroe concert from 1966 and a live show by alison krauss, some sam bush, now listening to van morrison concert.

spent the afternoon going through 'papers' and mostly purging stuff.

a couple days ago I heard tupelo honey on the radio along with my radio station 24 hours of grateful dead for 50th anniversary. Now I understand why they were called dead heads... after an hour I had my fill of grateful dead for the next 50 years...

anyway, I haven't even learned how to play this thing yet and I am working on an arrangement of tupelo honey for mandolin and guitar. when I set up my room I'll start scribing the music... I think it will "sound" man. Plus I have to start working on my voice again. I need a keyboard and a midi and some software - maybe I'll get into music publishing... or perhaps I will just go fishing instead...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Brain, I wholly agree with you on the dead heads assessment. I am not one. Small doses for me, thank you. I do like Alison Krauss. Speaking of papers, I have to find the title to one of my cars. The one I have the title to because it's paid off. I can't remember where I put it. Problem with drunken filing systems.

Saoutchik, the overhanging ladder/sign dispute sounds grim. I drive under a low railway trestle/bridge to get to work. There is an entrance for trucks on the route on the opposite side of the boulevard. Three separate times last week there were semi trailers wedged under the overpass/bridge. Police cars all around. Fork lifts to move the cargo. Each of those bridges has a warning as to how tall a truck can safely manage. Reading and paying attention is a lost skill.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I like Alison Krauss too. She did that duet with Robert Plant which I didn't much care for but her own stuff is good.

Ruby - white van man pays little attention to anything but football results. In this case ladders and roof rack probably write offs, sign bent a bit, no one died and his (over) reaction was comical. There is something funny about a man directing his impotent rage on an immovable object.I'm no better, I would have done the same thing
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am so damn proud of my friend who finished the Boston marathon today in under 3:35 minutes! Woo hoo! Such drive! And she is a mother of 4 with the youngest only 7!

Oh... And the weasel is back!!!! The low spots don't last as long as they once did.

You all rock!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow that's 26 X 8min 20sec miles. She has my congratulations.Seriously good

Glad that that particular marathon is still run too.😊
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I am so damn proud of my friend who finished the Boston marathon today in under 3:35 minutes! Woo hoo! Such drive! And she is a mother of 4 with the youngest only 7!

Oh... And the weasel is back!!!! The low spots don't last as long as they once did.

You all rock!
Good I have hope my mood will improve someday.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

glad you're back weasel --- what's with the rivers of ice up your way... oh, yeah, it's spring...

saoutchik -- that would be 8 minutes 12 seconds/mile, but whose counting...

I wish I could do 1 mile in ten minutes right now...
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Your right LB, I forgot its 26 miles + some yards

Ruby's post about car deeds reminded me that I once had a car called Olive ( there's a poem there somewhere)
It was an A610 Le Mans in olive green. I paid £12 K for it, got my then girlfriend (the ex Mrs Saoutchik) pregnant and sold it 9 months later for £5K. It still rankles especially as they now go for £25K.

PS I doth my cowl to anyone who knows what an Alpine A610 looks like
Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, della!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Hey Troops!

Ya wanna feel smarter instantly? Watch this. I ran across it ~1 year ago. Betcha can't watch just one!

'Whoops, I'm stupid'! ~ Steve Martin

Trucks Hitting Low Bridge Compilation Video
-
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

okay - I had to pause it cause I couldn't see through the tears I was laughing so hard.... I feel bad for the rental trucks...

but the hay bail trucks - first one gets clipped, the second guy thinks he can make it -WRONG!

I think the guy with the fifth wheel didn't have a clue and kept right on a goin...

did anyone see the rt 80 in wyoming accidents video from today? must have been arouind 30 rigs smashing into the backs of others, and a few cars too
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

So we're gonna keep on 'truckin' with the thread, eh?

So glad you are feeling better Weasel!
Hope you feel better soon Della.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh great 3:26am and a fire alarm has gone off nearby, at least it's not mine and I can't smell burning. Gives me a chance to watch truck/bridge mismatch. Some of them are not even close. Man!

I guess this post means the thread kept trucking to Tuesday. Canguy your probably in next weekend by now and waiting to call shotgun. I hope you will be free of your house guest soon.

Hope you feel better soon Della
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!! Getting ready for bed after my ice cream. I made manicotti for tomorrow. A cookie press works wonders to stuff them neatly. Hopefully they taste good.

Topping trucks, beating sign posts. Saoutchik, I bet there's a picture online of the A610. Let me check....

Weasel, I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm impressed at your friend's time. I'd be finishing mile 15 about now.

Della, I hope this day was better! Hate feeling low.

Canguy, I hope you are hanging in there. Can you uninvited your guest if it's too much? I don't want to compare but I had this thought of uninviting Dracula from the house. Retracting the invite. Vampires need an invitation to cross the threshold. We're here for support and escape if you need it.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Saoutchik, check on the automobile. Was yours blue or maroon? Those seem to be the primary colors, with a few yellows thrown in for variety.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby,

It kinda blew up last night. This morning at work I get an email saying she's booked a flight back to Tokyo leaving tomorrow.

Its probably for the best.

But I'm a strange combination of sadness and frustration. This has been a long thing, a lot of travels. I read all of War & Peace on one of them. The final goodbye will be difficult, as they always are.

And the the temptation to have some time off sobriety is ever tempting in these moments....
Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Thanks Ruby, It kinda blew up last night. This morning at work I get an email saying she's booked a flight back to Tokyo leaving tomorrow. Its probably for the best. But I'm a strange combination of sadness and frustration. This has been a long thing, a lot of travels. I read all of War & Peace on one of them. The final goodbye will be difficult, as they always are. And the the temptation to have some time off sobriety is ever tempting in these moments....
Hang in there CG, you have done so well mate. Although it is hard right now, your potential trigger is "leaving on a jet plane" ;-)