SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sober Weekender Thread April 16 until... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364872-sober-weekender-thread-april-16-until.html)

Bmac 04-17-2015 04:16 PM

Since I missed shotgun, being the 3rd post on the weekend thread I called "Radio"!

So I begin my duty of providing tunes by giving you a song of hope that is most appropriate for us alkys. "Drive" by Incubus.

Weasel1966 04-17-2015 04:44 PM

A little help for our radio dude.

Drop the extra before the video ID on the link. :)

Great song!

Tetra 04-17-2015 04:50 PM

In relation to Star Wars, which I quite enjoyed...

a few years ago I went to see Iron Man 3 at the cinema...I really enjoyed it and suggested to my mom that she watch the first Iron Man...

she replied "jeez, I don't know. Does it involve a guy with a bucket on his head, breathing heavily? Because I don't think I could sit through that again"...

It stlll makes me smile :)

Weasel1966 04-17-2015 05:11 PM

Very cute story Terta! And good to see you!

Heading in to bed. Watch some shark tank.

K

Just want to add... I would have missed this moment if I drank today. I am feeling good listening to the peepers of spring sing as sunset is completed.

Soberwolf 04-17-2015 05:16 PM

Weasel i just want to thank you for always doing this thread

You sir are awesome

Weasel1966 04-17-2015 05:19 PM

Soberwolf. It is a joy. For me and mex. Thanks for being part of the weekender family. :thanks

Ruby2 04-17-2015 05:26 PM

The ostrich turtle exchange cracked me up. I think turtles and tortoises are great. I'm full up on pets at the moment though. It falls on mom to make sure everyone is fed and boxes and cages and tanks are cleaned out.

Solarion, very pretty cat. My other one is a tortoise shell. Used to be my avatar for the longest. I'll post her next. Last time we had a pet theme one of my two mice died over the weekend. Hopefully the other one will survive the pet thread.

I do like Agatha Christie and especially David Suchet. I have a few of my old Agathas laying about. I also found a hardbound copy of Murder in the Calais Coach when we were clearing my uncles house. I love the older ones as it's such a step back in time. Tommy talking about being "demobbed " following the Great War.

I'm going on to the next page and probably have comments from there. I've found I can't remember sometimes when I start skipping about.

Ruby2 04-17-2015 05:39 PM

Weas, I do retail therapy at times when I'm feeling down. Whatever you do, you're still fabulous! I'm sorry you're feeling low.

I sometimes get that way when it's beautiful outside. So today was kind of like that.

Canguy, I'm really glad you made it through. Congratulations on 18 days. That's super! What your comments about the situation tell me, and this is only my opinion, is that your friend has a drinking problem. The retreating and sulking. The barbed comments. "I'm lonely" if you don't drink too. Those are things I felt and did when I didn't get my way. And my way would be you drinking with me so that you didn't notice how much I was drinking. Stay strong. When I was drinking, if I didn't get my way, it was all about me. Rather than examine why I was feeling the way I was feeling it was always what the other person was doing to make me feel the way I was feeling.

Everyone sounds like they are doing well. Saoutchik, did you doubt that there was a website entitled "famousbelgians"? There seems to be a website for everything.

I'm in to supervise my son roasting marshmallows on the stove. He wanted me to build a fire in our makeshift fire pit but it's too late for that now. I'm not supervising that. I just walked in from work at 6:50 p.m. No.

soberclover 04-17-2015 05:55 PM

I haven't caught up on reading the Weekender Thread but I did want to drop in and share that time really does make a difference. After eating dinner at a local restaurant out on the deck, we went for our first ice cream of the season. The only place open this early in the season was right across from a bar/club I used to spend A LOT of time at on many a Friday nights. It was soooooooo nice to be able to really enjoy the conversation, the sights, and sounds, (and of course the ice cream!) without the longing/wanting to be at the bar and the feeling of being sad/mad that I couldn't/don't drink anymore. When I found sobriety again, I never thought I would get to this place. Well I did. Time just takes time sometimes :)

strangeangel 04-17-2015 06:16 PM

Soberclover, I needed to hear that. Thank you for reminding me. Hours bw 2-5 are so hard for me. Happy to know it will get easier, was feeling very desperate this afternoon

Della1968 04-17-2015 06:28 PM

Back home in my lovely bed...all the animals survived. I to turn to shopping when the cravings get tough. At least I have something to show for spending my money.

I actually loved all the Star Wars movies. An ex and I used to have weekends with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or the Godfather movies. Yet I detest Nicholas Sparks. Wonder if there is somewhere I need to turn in my female card.

Pouncer 04-17-2015 07:07 PM

Lunar, I have one of those too! He is a Mexican Redknee. Is yours a ready-to-molt female redknee? She looks like it. We adopted ours from a shelter (seriously). He doesn't have too may years left.

Great job starting fitness training, Weasel. I need to get back on the trails and do some exercise soon.

MarathonMan, it is great to see you back here. Congrats on completing rehab!

Canguy, glad you got through your house guest's visit. Congratulations on staying sober.

I survived the Renaissance Faire and a trip to IKEA. I taught my son a new word today: enochlophobia - fear of crowds. He doesn't like crowds either. It was nice to spend one-on-one time with him and we had fun, too. Getting out of bed did wonders to help my depression today. I am back on my meds, too.

happyandfree 04-17-2015 07:31 PM

Hi everyone. ..can't get caught up on all the posts. Am taking a brief break from watching the new movie Exodus. Christian Bale plays Moses. I like him...to say the least.
Perfect Friday night. ..comfy and warm. Had to lite the pellet stove cause it got cold today. Funny thing is the pollen count dropped and I stopped sneezing. Ya take the good with the bad.
OK - back to the movie.

Pouncer 04-17-2015 07:51 PM

Weasel, thank you. Yes, this thread is great.

MesaMan 04-17-2015 08:38 PM

Welp ~

Imagine my lack of surprise. There IS an obvious word for IKEA Phobia. Not that there's anything wrong with that Phobia...

IKEAphobia

The fear of being stuck in IKEA and not being able to find your way out.
There's no way that I'm going back to IKEA. I spent an hour in that maze of a store trying to escape. My wife says I have a case of IKEAphobia!

Urban Dictionary: IKEAphobia

Me, I like the Latin, or other, derivations to describe various Phobias. I guess those remind me of the made-up words from my fav old 'Roadrunner' Cartoons. Must be because I'm out here in Roadrunner -> Wile E. Coyote Territory that those Cartoons come to mind.

Before the Rain stopped a short time ago, I took the Pooch out for his last evening Nocturnicus Whizbladdermus. So, here he is in his dampened glory. My new Trailer Space technique is to make the Dinette into a 2nd Bed, and put his Bowser Bed on it. Along with his favorite Toy. My well-aged Slip-On Shoe seen at bottom left. Then, I have just enough room for this nice Camp Chair w/a recycled piece of Cherry Cabinet Wood to use as a Lap Table/TV Tray for Dinner. Hang the Verizon Air Modem 'Pez' remotely on a 3 Meter USB Cable in the Kitchen Window for a clear shot to the Cell Tower, and I'm smokin' on line! This Camping Joint has WiFi, but it bogs down - as do they all - as just about every Space fills up tonight, and Folks hop on that freebie connection.

Tent Campers on either side of me. A >$120k Mercedes Chassis RV catty-corner. A gleaming new 'Airstream' pulled by a 2015 Ford Diesel Truck. ~$85k + ~$70k, at least. BBQs goin'. Dogs being walked. ATVs en masse trailered in to ride the endless Desert Paths.

No boredom in Sobriety, lemme tell ya. Life Is A Carnival!

'Life Is A Carnival' ~ The Band ~ Live

http://i58.tinypic.com/141tcmt.jpg
-

Pouncer 04-17-2015 08:49 PM

Sounds cool, MesaMan. I love Airstreams. Lucky folks and a cute pup.

How about flåtpakallenwrechaphobia? I have spent many nights trying to rig a better way to get those allen screws in faster. I am about to do it again tonight.

MesaMan 04-17-2015 09:04 PM

Brilliant! LOVE that word!

I've got this neato set of Fastener Heads WITH extension piece. How 'bout something like that, and a Cordless Drill? Cut a piece off an el cheapo Allen Wrench, and chuck it. Into the Drill, that is. My Dewalt Cordless Drill has a bunch of Clutch settings, so you can have it start to slip and not over-tighten things once they seat fully in. I also use a tiny drop of Dishwashing Soap on Screw and Bolt Threads.

The RV Geeks all use Power Drills now to rapidly turn and extend down the Stabilizer Jacks at their RV/Trailer corners. I don't 'do' IKEA, but I have done Flat Pack 'stuff'. It's mega-huge in Japan. You can haul the Furniture to your tiny 'Rabbit Hutch' Apartment, as they call them. 20' x 20' is a standard Apt. size in Urban areas. This explains Futons, and small Tables with tiny Electric Grills built into the center of them.

They even have lil Disposable Wheels strapped on the Flat Pack to make Urban Transport easy.

strangeangel 04-17-2015 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by happyandfree (Post 5323922)
Hi everyone. ..can't get caught up on all the posts. Am taking a brief break from watching the new movie Exodus. Christian Bale plays Moses. I like him...to say the least. Perfect Friday night. ..comfy and warm. Had to lite the pellet stove cause it got cold today. Funny thing is the pollen count dropped and I stopped sneezing. Ya take the good with the bad. OK - back to the movie.

I watched that movie tonight too! Man, it got me thinking A LOT about our world, religion, beliefs, faith, logic.. I'm so perplexed by the human condition more and more each day.. But nevertheless, a good epic.

Sisterbobby 04-17-2015 09:50 PM

I'm here sober.
can not download pics from computer.

but did get two of the three dogs i have in signature

Pouncer 04-17-2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MesaMan (Post 5324051)
Brilliant! LOVE that word!

I've got this neato set of Fastener Heads WITH extension piece. How 'bout something like that, and a Cordless Drill? Cut a piece off an el cheapo Allen Wrench, and chuck it. Into the Drill, that is. My Dewalt Cordless Drill has a bunch of Clutch settings, so you can have it start to slip and not over-tighten things once they seat fully in. I also use a tiny drop of Dishwashing Soap on Screw and Bolt Threads.

The RV Geeks all use Power Drills now to rapidly turn and extend down the Stabilizer Jacks at their RV/Trailer corners. I don't 'do' IKEA, but I have done Flat Pack 'stuff'. It's mega-huge in Japan. You can haul the Furniture to your tiny 'Rabbit Hutch' Apartment, as they call them. 20' x 20' is a standard Apt. size in Urban areas. This explains Futons, and small Tables with tiny Electric Grills built into the center of them.

They even have lil Disposable Wheels strapped on the Flat Pack to make Urban Transport easy.

I swear, my husband and I made a very similar set-up for the allen wrenches years ago! I was super relieved to find out that I just needed a phillips head tonight.