Notices

Fatigue

Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatigue

I'm on day 52 after trying to quit many times (funny how a bad liver test can be an exceptional motivator). Had an Ultrasound and was told my liver was normal except for some fatty deposits. I know everyone is different, but since I quit I have been exceptionally fatigued. All I want to do is sleep! Have others experienced this? I'm also taking fluoxetine (Prozac). My mood has been better than it has for years, but this chronic tiredness is horrible (which can also be a side effect of the antidepressant). Saw my doctor today to do more blood work to see where my liver is now without alcohol. Thyroid is normal. He didn't seem concerned about the fatigue. I'm just wondering if others are experiencing this too.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KDB
I'm only on day6,but I feel like I can't get enough sleep. I always feel tired and i'm sure for me it's being so early in recovery...
TC
Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a day or two ahead of you and felt that the first few weeks but it has subsided. From what others have posted, that seems to be a common side effect of giving up alcohol.
Sounds like a rough wake up call for you. Health scares are no good but they are motivating. I'm glad for you that all is normal.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I slept for 3 months or so. I was exhausted. ..I think it's the body recovering and healing. Be gentle with yourself, and sleep if you need to and take naps. It's normal in early recovery, and nothing wrong with it. Bravo to you for taking care of your health.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5, and I'm feeling fatigued as well.
The fatigue is definitely a side effect of antidepressants!
Also, maybe have your b vitamins checked out and iron.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 52 days
Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

52 days is awesome!

Yes I experienced fatigue also gee, I think it was around the 5 or 6 month mark. All I wanted to do was sleep and I couldn't get enough! It did pass.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

I think it is kind of a rebound from the cycle of drinking and nervous anxiety/energy when not. The best way I fight fatigue is to force myself to exercise. Unless one makes themselves climb out gravity brings us further down.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This combo works/ed for me: vitamin c, b12, omegas. I also put electrolytes in my water and drink tons of water.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDBnSLC View Post
since I quit I have been exceptionally fatigued. All I want to do is sleep! Have others experienced this?
Hi KD, yep I sure did. The Winter of 2013 was the most that I had slept since I was a kid. I quit in March 2013 and slept 9 or 10 hours a night from May until July or August.

I figure go with it if your doctor is happy with your test results. You need to give yourself the time to sleep -- let go of less important things and let your body recover. When you think about it recovery includes a lot of physical healing, so we really need to make our health a priority. Make sure you're eating well & getting fresh air and exercise.

My health has never been better and I don't need to sleep more than normal now.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes to everything said.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember the week i first signed up for this forum.. NOTHING but sleep was going on in my life, craziest period of my living career, most emotional also.. push on my brothers and sisesss push onnnn
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good REM sleep is great for you. While drinking I slept, but it was not good REM sleep. Your body does a good job to "make up" that good sleep. It might take awhile to get adjusted.....but I think sleep is good for you right now. Best Wishes
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I still feel fatigue at times worse than others, I am pretty sure it is normal. We wrecked our bodies so now it is time for repair to commence, sleeping helps this.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't have anything new to contribute here but yes, it seems really normal and part of the recovery process.

I've been sleeping about 10 hours a night and had an hour nap already today!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

53 Days is fantastic!!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes me too - I slept for hours and hours at first. Lasted a few months. I think for me it was because I never fell asleep naturally and got good quality sleep. I passed out drunk most nights and my body needed to make up for that.

I have found a sugary drink late afternoon 3 - 5pm gives me more energy. Anything like fresh orange, hot chocolate or a milk shake.

I think the amount of calories and sugar in booze sometimes keep us going in the evening.
This needs replacing and for me the drop in blood sugar led to drink cravings.

Having the sugary drink really helped me and still does.

I wish you the best xx
Old 04-16-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced that too - I got better eventually. Try not to worry too much KDBnSLC.

The one bit of advice I'd give is keep active. It may seem counter-intuitive but I found it really helps

D