Notices

Tapering

Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering

Well my Doc said to taper so thats what I have been doing the last few days. On Day 3 but this has been the last few days:

Day 1: Started at 3, 7 cans of Guinness and 2 large glass of wine. (Very high anxiety from previous)
Day 2: Started at 5, 5 cans of Guinness and 1 medium glass of wine. (High anxiety from previous)
Day 3: Will start at 7...

No wd's apart from anxiety has improved by today already! I intend tonight to have 4 cans and 1 medium glass.

Mild cravings but not to bad.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck but tapering is moderation and alcoholics cant moderate/taper

Ppl have told me it rarely happens and i havnt yet seen it happen

If you dont see an improvement will you attempt abstinance ?

Abstinance keeps me alive and happy
Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best wishes on sticking to your zero day!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck hopscotch. Here in the US tapering is not generally recommended by doctors and it's a very difficult thing to do for an alcoholic. I applaud your decision to seek help though and do hope that you are successful in your endeavor.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Guinness is my drink of choice as well. Good luck with your plan, I hope the tapering quickly turns into complete abstinence!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a set plan for the next 3-4 days which leads to abstinence.

Cheers for the support
Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 View Post
Well my Doc said to taper so thats what I have been doing the last few days. On Day 3 but this has been the last few days:

Day 1: Started at 3, 7 cans of Guinness and 2 large glass of wine. (Very high anxiety from previous)
Day 2: Started at 5, 5 cans of Guinness and 1 medium glass of wine. (High anxiety from previous)
Day 3: Will start at 7...

No wd's apart from anxiety has improved by today already! I intend tonight to have 4 cans and 1 medium glass.

Mild cravings but not to bad.
Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Good luck but tapering is moderation and alcoholics cant moderate/taper

Ppl have told me it rarely happens and i havnt yet seen it happen

If you dont see an improvement will you attempt abstinance ?

Abstinance keeps me alive and happy
Yes of course. Im just a chicken for the wd's hence why I'm doing it this way. If I don't feel the craving tomorrow and no shakes (which I have never experienced) I won't drink tomorrow onwards.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you continue to work on abstinence.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Hopscotch glad your here bud
Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This can work, just don't cheat under any circumstances. And reduce to 0.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
This can work, just don't cheat under any circumstances. And reduce to 0.

Good luck!
Its working already, only just opened the 3rd 440ml can and will prob miss the forth. Will have the wine though, just a small one.

The most powerful thing is that tomorrow I know my anxiety will be even less than today which was doable.

Note, I don't take any other meds.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The last time I stopped I did it cold turkey and didn't suffer much from physical withdrawals. Apparently only one percent of alcoholics actually require medical detox. This is the health board rationale for the number of detox beds it has.

Another way is with the assistance of medication but, based on what I read here and what I see with some newly sober alcoholics, the introduction of another chemical to the mix sometimes creates more problems than it solves.

Then there is the occasional case where withdrawals are likely but the sufferer has no immediate medical help available. The community alcohol and drug service here tells them folks to keep drinking until an opportunity for treatment comes up.

With these latter group I have sometimes helped them taper in the way that is described in the Big Book. Usually a relatively small quantity of alcohol might be consumed on the first night to stave off the jitters. We sit with them 24 hours, make sure they eat and drink, and support them. Of course if there is any sign of medical problems, we can call on the emergency services, which is the only way to get medical detox without going through the long wait CADS system.

The worst is usually over in a day or two and alcohol is gone from the system after three days. Then we start work on recovery.

For me, cold turkey would be preferable, tapering next, and other drugs as an absolute last resort.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its working already, only just opened the 3rd 440ml can and will prob miss the forth. Will have the wine though, just a small one. The most powerful thing is that tomorrow I know my anxiety will be even less than today which was doable. Note, I don't take any other meds.
Why not skip the wine if you are ok? My last tapper I was down to one beer on my schedule. I didn't drink it and it went straight to the sink.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Why not skip the wine if you are ok? My last tapper I was down to one beer on my schedule. I didn't drink it and it went straight to the sink.
I missed the 4th can and opted for a small wine already (I do prefer the taste of wine over beer).

Tomorrow is just 3 beers starting at 8pm.

Quite a fast taper method i think compared to the HAMS but I'm not hanging around drunk for weeks on end!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Detoxing without medical supervision CAN be dangerous for most alcoholics. The withdrawals can cause the blood pressure to go through the roof, in addition other physical dangers. Why don't you ask your Dr to give you a benzo, like librium or serax along with a taper schedule instead of tapering from alcohol? The benzos will help to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay and get through the tough first couple of days.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
Detoxing without medical supervision CAN be dangerous for most alcoholics. The withdrawals can cause the blood pressure to go through the roof, in addition other physical dangers. Why don't you ask your Dr to give you a benzo, like librium or serax along with a taper schedule instead of tapering from alcohol? The benzos will help to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay and get through the tough first couple of days.
I went cold turkey in the summer for a week with no problems (zero withdrawals). Doc wouldn't give me anything. Said just to cut down.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went cold turkey in the summer for a week with no problems (zero withdrawals). Doc wouldn't give me anything. Said just to cut down.

What worked for you, may not work for others. There are too many variables here. Most will have withdrawals and the withdrawals are dangerous.

We're not allowed to give medical advice, so I'll just end here.