SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I am new here, in need of some support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364808-i-am-new-here-need-some-support.html)

Mynightmare 04-15-2015 07:30 AM

I am new here, in need of some support

Hi all and thanks for having me,

I am a massive binge drinker and it has really started to effect my life as my behaviour is so completely reckless and out of control when I drink that it's really starting to scare the hell out of me. I don't know when to stop. I just don't seem to care what happens once I've had a drink. I don't care about anything other than getting wasted. The crazier the better. It has got me into so much trouble. I've been arrested, cheated, crashed my car, missed work, taken drugs! And that's only the things I can actually remember. I'm a nightmare when I drink! Thing is I don't drink all the time, maybe twice a month but when I do OMG! I always regret it. I am a completely different person, a monster! The complete opposite of me sober. I need to stop before I ruin my life.

ZaBoozer 04-15-2015 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mynightmare (Post 5319280)
Hi all and thanks for having me, I am a massive binge drinker and it has really started to effect my life as my behaviour is so completely reckless and out of control when I drink that it's really starting to scare the hell out of me. I don't know when to stop. I just don't seem to care what happens once I've had a drink. I don't care about anything other than getting wasted. The crazier the better. It has got me into so much trouble. I've been arrested, cheated, crashed my car, missed work, taken drugs! And that's only the things I can actually remember. I'm a nightmare when I drink! Thing is I don't drink all the time, maybe twice a month but when I do OMG! I always regret it. I am a completely different person, a monster! The complete opposite of me sober. I need to stop before I ruin my life.

Welcome, others with more experience will be along shortly, but to me sounds like alcohol controls you.

Nonsensical 04-15-2015 07:34 AM

Welcome to SR!

Definitely seems like it is time to stop. You're in good company. :ring

waywardson8260 04-15-2015 07:37 AM

Mynightmare, yes it sounds like you have a big problem. I considered myself a binge drinker myself but always managed to steer out of trouble. This is something you clearly have to confront, but there is a lot of support here!!!!

Mynightmare 04-15-2015 07:39 AM

Thank you guys. I will be sticking around that's for sure. I can't do this anymore. I have to stop. I have to. Before I lose everything.

ZaBoozer 04-15-2015 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mynightmare (Post 5319292)
Thank you guys. I will be sticking around that's for sure. I can't do this anymore. I have to stop. I have to. Before I lose everything.

Well that is a very good place to start.

ScottFromWI 04-15-2015 08:06 AM

Welcome mynightmare. Realizing the problem is a key first step in beating it...congratulations on coming here to seek help.

Immediately, you might need to re-think the events and activities surrounding your binges and remove them. That might mean changing the places you go, the things you do, and perhaps the people you do them with. I had to steer clear of obvious drinking opportunities ( bars, parties,etc. ) for a few months iniitally.

You might also want to consider some kind of formal sobriety plan - whether it be Meeting based ( Like AA or Life Ring ) or perhaps Therapy/Counseling, and even joining a Monthly or weekly thread in the newcomers section can help.

Again, welcome and don't be a stranger. We get it...and we are here for support if you need it, any time of the day.

Mountainmanbob 04-15-2015 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mynightmare (Post 5319280)

I need to stop before I ruin my life.

That is a good place to be. At this point in time we make a firm decision not to drink anymore. It has worked for many and it can also work for you.
Mountainman

firstymer 04-15-2015 08:24 AM

Welcome to the SR family, Mynightmare. I am glad you are here with us. :grouphug:

Mags1 04-15-2015 08:28 AM

Welcome to sr, Mynightmare. Here's a great place to start.

LBrain 04-15-2015 08:39 AM

welcome [to] Mynightmare

OldGal 04-15-2015 08:43 AM

Good to know there are others out there! This is going to be the first day of the rest of my life! I am right there with you!!!

Anna 04-15-2015 09:31 AM

Welcome MyNightmare,

I'm glad that you recognize that you have a serious problem and need to stop drinking.

I hope you are willing to make the changes in your life necessary for recovery. We're here to help.

Wastinglife 04-15-2015 09:55 AM

welcome to the site. I am the same type of drinker as you. If given the opportunity, I drink myself to blackout stage where I lose control of my thoughts and actions. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years. For me, a binge usually ends with me in a jail cell, the ER, or by emptying my bank acct. Most of the time, I would just run out of money and keep things in the privacy of my home but I have had a few drunken blackouts in public which have resulted in dangerous situations, run-ins with police, hospitals, embarrassing things.

When I drink, it's like I am playing a game of Russian Roulette. The crazy blackouts don't always happen but they are unpredictable. It took me so long to finally get it: I cannot responsibly drink alcohol.

Some people are wired differently. Unfortunately, people like us have a negative 'reaction' when alcohol is consumed. We cannot drink period.

least 04-15-2015 10:01 AM

Welcome to the family! :hug: You're smart to get sober before something really bad happens. You'll find lots of support here. :)

Mynightmare 04-15-2015 10:38 AM

Thank you so much for welcoming me so openly. I have changed so many aspects of my life already. I have a good job, I am studying for a degree and have moved away from my home town. This elephant in the room just seems to follow me where ever I go. I make the decision today I never take another drop of the evil stuff that I controlling my life and holding me back from my dreams.
Thanks again for your support. It is invaluable to me.

Mynightmare 04-15-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by OldGal (Post 5319366)
Good to know there are others out there! This is going to be the first day of the rest of my life! I am right there with you!!!

Thank you oldgal. I will be here for you also.

Soberwolf 04-15-2015 10:59 AM

Welcome MyNightmare

PurpleKnight 04-15-2015 12:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum MyNightmare!! :wave:

Mynightmare 04-15-2015 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 5319447)
welcome to the site. I am the same type of drinker as you. If given the opportunity, I drink myself to blackout stage where I lose control of my thoughts and actions. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years. For me, a binge usually ends with me in a jail cell, the ER, or by emptying my bank acct. Most of the time, I would just run out of money and keep things in the privacy of my home but I have had a few drunken blackouts in public which have resulted in dangerous situations, run-ins with police, hospitals, embarrassing things.

When I drink, it's like I am playing a game of Russian Roulette. The crazy blackouts don't always happen but they are unpredictable. It took me so long to finally get it: I cannot responsibly drink alcohol.

Some people are wired differently. Unfortunately, people like us have a negative 'reaction' when alcohol is consumed. We cannot drink period.

Hi wastinglife,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I know how you feel. I tend to use alcohol to escape my life and it just doesn't work. I think that I have finally realised that all it does is make the whole situation 10x worse. It's time I started to deal with the real problems in life and stop covering the up.