SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364804-newbie-here.html)

OldGal 04-15-2015 07:02 AM

Newbie Here

Good Morning! I'm sitting here with a hangover again. I stumbled across this website by searching for "help to stop drinking" in my search engine. I am so tired of waking up and feeling like this! I don't drink everyday, but I could if I let myself! The funny thing is, I KNOW I will wake up feeling like this! When I was buying the wine last night, I kept telling myself "you'll be sorry"! But, I did it anyway! Why can't I just stop??? I think the longest I've gone without drinking was a week. When I started again it wasn't because I was craving alcohol... it was more peer pressure. I don't want to do it anymore! I want to feel good about myself instead of disgusted! I hate the hangovers, the way I act when I am drunk! I hate the fact that I can't lose weight because when I drink I EAT! Anyway... I hope I will be inspired here... and will finally get the courage to stop this way of life! Now I am going to read some of your posts and try to find an answer for myself!!!!:ring

Lance40 04-15-2015 07:05 AM

Welcome to SR. This is a great group of people. The good news is that today can be the last hung over day you'll ever have. I wish you all the best.

ZaBoozer 04-15-2015 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by OldGal (Post 5319251)
Good Morning! I'm sitting here with a hangover again. I stumbled across this website by searching for "help to stop drinking" in my search engine. I am so tired of waking up and feeling like this! I don't drink everyday, but I could if I let myself! The funny thing is, I KNOW I will wake up feeling like this! When I was buying the wine last night, I kept telling myself "you'll be sorry"! But, I did it anyway! Why can't I just stop??? I think the longest I've gone without drinking was a week. When I started again it wasn't because I was craving alcohol... it was more peer pressure. I don't want to do it anymore! I want to feel good about myself instead of disgusted! I hate the hangovers, the way I act when I am drunk! I hate the fact that I can't lose weight because when I drink I EAT! Anyway... I hope I will be inspired here... and will finally get the courage to stop this way of life! Now I am going to read some of your posts and try to find an answer for myself!!!!:ring

Welcome. There are many helpful posts on this forum. Others with more experience will be along shortly.

Ornithology 04-15-2015 07:07 AM

Welcome Newbie, you'll find lots of support here. I found this place via a Google search as well and it has been instrumental in my not drinking.

OldGal 04-15-2015 07:27 AM

Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement! My downfall is the weekend! For some reason, if I make it to Friday night I feel I should "reward" myself by drinking wine... which carries over to Saturday night and then Sunday. I am going to muster up all my willpower and try to lay off the booze this coming weekend! I CAN DO THIS!!!!

Nonsensical 04-15-2015 07:30 AM

Welcome Newbie!!!!

Why can't I just stop???
When I was a newbie my question was, "If I know I shouldn't drink, why do I still feel like drinking?"

The answer I found was that I am addicted to alcohol.
I have it beat now, and you can too! :ring

if I make it to Friday night I feel I should "reward" myself by drinking wine...
Rewarding sobriety with alcohol is like rewarding cleaning with dirt. :)

ZaBoozer 04-15-2015 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by OldGal (Post 5319275)
Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement! My downfall is the weekend! For some reason, if I make it to Friday night I feel I should "reward" myself by drinking wine... which carries over to Saturday night and then Sunday. I am going to muster up all my willpower and try to lay off the booze this coming weekend! I CAN DO THIS!!!!

You can do this, I promise you can.

OldGal 04-15-2015 08:40 AM

What kind of scares me is how I have been trying to hide it! For example, having wine in a coffee cup to make my husband think I'm drinking coffee. Also, finishing off one bottle of wine before he gets home, hiding the empty bottle in my closet, then opening the second bottle. When he walks in the door he thinks I just opened the first one! I have even used a funnel to put the wine in a pop can! Oh my!!!! No wonder I am so disgusted with myself!!!
:a108:

ZaBoozer 04-15-2015 08:47 AM

Hey OG,

There are many of us who have been down that road and worse. Please don't bash yourself up over it. Now you need to concentrate on becoming the new sober you.

Nonsensical 04-15-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by OldGal (Post 5319364)
What kind of scares me is how I have been trying to hide it! For example, having wine in a coffee cup to make my husband think I'm drinking coffee. Also, finishing off one bottle of wine before he gets home, hiding the empty bottle in my closet, then opening the second bottle. When he walks in the door he thinks I just opened the first one! I have even used a funnel to put the wine in a pop can! Oh my!!!! No wonder I am so disgusted with myself!!!
:a108:

I've done all of those. Well, I poured bourbon into a can of pop so it looked like I was just drinking pop. (Pop - a fellow Midwesterner, I see!)

Come to find out, I was only fooling myself that I was fooling my family. My wife can look at me from 25 feet away and tell if I've been drinking. :)

Soberwolf 04-15-2015 11:22 AM

Welcome OldGal

happyandfree 04-15-2015 11:46 AM

Hi oldgal....lots of us have been where you are. I couldn't stop for the longest time. You will find a lot of support here. Welcome! !

PurpleKnight 04-15-2015 12:13 PM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Chadders 04-15-2015 12:28 PM

Hi OldGal! Welcome to SR!
This forum is really helping me as I begin my road to recovery. I also found it by Googling something similar. Have a good old browse around - there's so much information and incredible support from all sorts of people who all have the same goal. We're all on the same side! I'm only on Day 5 but not only do I feel healthier, I feel more confident about the future and what I can achieve sober - I'm really excited about it!
Keep coming back as often as you can!
I say pop too as it happens and I'm from the north of England!
Good Luck!
C