SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   please tell me a life without alcohol is possible! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364775-please-tell-me-life-without-alcohol-possible.html)

Rose9 04-14-2015 08:27 PM

please tell me a life without alcohol is possible!

that is just it... I want to know I can be "happy" without a glass of wine nearby. I am dealing with a dual diagnosis of anorexia/bulimia and alcoholism. sometimes I feel like it is impossible. I want to be truly in recovery. my husband is much older than I am and has been sober for 25 years. I "should" be able to do this...but I feel drawn toward the wine. it has been a friend and an escape for so long. and as I am giving up the eating disorder, the alcohol is beckoning me even more.

Dee74 04-14-2015 08:31 PM

It's more than possible it's been a reality for me for over 8 years now Rose :)

It takes a little effort and a degree of change, but it is very possible and achievable :)

Read around and see what other people are doing, and think about what approach might work for you :)

D

mecanix 04-15-2015 12:28 AM

Hello Rose ,
life without alcohol , without the stress and the worry of when the next drink is going to happen is remarkably liberating .

With some time and effort i've been able to make a more worthwhile life sober than when i was drunken and dissolute .

Take care , m

MythOfSisyphus 04-15-2015 01:59 AM

As hard as it is to believe right now, yes- you can be happier sober. I am!

IOAA2 04-15-2015 02:56 AM

" I want to know I can be "happy" without a glass of wine nearby. I want to be truly in recovery."

Hi.
It took awhile to not drink and work and change my drinking personality so that now, for a lot of years I can say I’m comfortable in my own skin. That feeling had been an unknown for years before I stopped drinking.
There are millions that can refer to themselves as “sober, joyous, happy and free.”

BE WELL

HeadLump 04-15-2015 03:23 AM

Ah, Rose, my kindred spirit! :hug: I have had bulimia for almost 30 years. I am an alcoholic too, but I've now been sober for well over 2 years. And, whilst still a problem at times, the bulimia is more under control than it's ever been.

And happiness? Well, I've never known anything like it before! I've hated myself for as long as I can remember but since ditching the wine I've felt my self esteem soar. I can even look at myself in the mirror now without (always) flinching.

I feel a deep peace inside. It's as though something reached within me, taking out the pain and replacing it with tenderness and compassion. It's transformed the way I look at life and at myself.

While I was still drinking I couldn't begin to tackle the bulimia. I would use wine to stop me from eating but would eat everything in sight when hungover or feeling guilty. One drove the other and I was convinced that I wasn't worthy of recovery from either.

Now I KNOW that I AM worthy of recovery and I'm definitely worthy of the happiness it brings. AND SO ARE YOU! :)

Stick with it, Rose, it will take you to a place you've never even dreamt of xxx

Nonsensical 04-15-2015 03:45 AM

Make a list of the 5 worst things that could happen as a direct result of not drinking ever again.

FreeOwl 04-15-2015 03:50 AM

It's not only possible, it's amazing and awesome.

#soberliferocks

tomsteve 04-15-2015 04:44 AM

It's possible as there are many years of sobriety here alone, plus 25 your husband has.

least 04-15-2015 05:22 AM

It is not only possible, it is a very good life. :) I got sober over five years ago and I don't miss the wine one bit. I'm very happy now. :)

MIRecovery 04-15-2015 05:26 AM

A great life is waiting for you. Where most of us error is thinking about recovery in terms of forever. All any of has is today. I plan on staying sober today and will do what I need to do to stay sober.

For me that means:
  • Prayer asking for a day of sobriety
  • Talking to my sponsor
  • Going to an AA meeting
  • Posting on SR
  • Prayer thanking my higher power for a day of sobriety

This plan has worked pretty darn good for me.

The are some excellent resources on SR for sobriety plans. Make one of your own and stay sober today

newpage119 04-15-2015 05:27 AM

Hi Rose,
Of course you feel drawn to the wine, it is an addictive chemical...nothing else. Not a friend at all.

Life without alcohol is not only possible, but is it better!

I am only 5 months in, and very grateful to be sober.
I worried about "having fun" or "being happy" without drinking, and am finding great moments of joy and peace already...
Can't wait to see what the future brings.:c029:

Fight the wine. It is worth it!

bigsombrero 04-15-2015 05:41 AM

Don't worry Rose, it's certainly possible. We here are living proof. It's all about letting go of those securities that come with alcohol, kind of like jumping into a cold swimming pool. Gather your courage and jump! After you swim around for a minute, you'll find sobriety refreshing and fun!

MarathonMan 04-15-2015 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 5318984)
Make a list of the 5 worst things that could happen as a direct result of not drinking ever again.

Nonsensical - I really like this and am going to steal it for my signature

Nonsensical 04-15-2015 06:14 AM

It sounds stupid, making a list like that, but I think it is quite a good exercise. No one thinks they can't live without alcohol, but many of us feel like we can't live without alcohol. Making the list helps get your head away from the fear you're feeling and gets you thinkng.

JaneLane 04-15-2015 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 5319187)
It sounds stupid, making a list like that, but I think it is quite a good exercise. No one thinks they can't live without alcohol, but many of us feel like we can't live without alcohol. Making the list helps get your head away from the fear you're feeling and gets you thinkng.

Brilliant idea. I'm going to do this today :-)

Soberwolf 04-15-2015 11:48 AM

A life without alcohol has been a reality for me for the last 21 months

You can do this rose

Rose9 04-15-2015 04:19 PM

Thank you to all of your kind words of compassion and support. It is wonderful to find a wonderful online support. I am working up to going to an AA meeting. I am working full-time, watch my 3 year old son after work and am trying to maintain a home. I know...excuses. I need to figure out a way to go to a meeting soon. I still drink, and I am not proud of that. I have been free of bulimia approaching two weeks. This is important because wine drinking almost always resulted in bingeing and purging.

Bmac 04-15-2015 04:33 PM

Reality for me at day 30. If I can, you can!

LBrain 04-15-2015 04:41 PM

Besides those of us who are 'new' to not drinking, there are at least 4 billion people who never drank at all by some estimates.