Notices

I don't know how to make it stop

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know how to make it stop

thats pretty much it. I just don't know how to make it stop. I kind of give up.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do something to distract yourself. Can you go out to a movie?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep on hanging in there. It's really tough some nights, but you can get through it.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try this stick close to SR http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's 10 pm. So not really. But thank you. I guess I just have to finally make up my mind that I am done with it all. I don't know why it is so hard.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

My suggestion is to post VERY SPECIFICALLY what happens just before you drink. Perhaps what happened as much as 24 hours before you drank. Then read carefully for suggestions on what to do the next time you are in a similar situation, AND DO IT.

So what happened this time?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd say post more specifically what you want to stop. Are you having urges to drink? Are you currently drinking and don't know how to quit?

If you are having urges I always found that distracting myself was the best thing for it. Watch television, do some light cleaning. Throw in some laundry. Dust.

If you're drinking now, drink some water. Go to bed.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
It's 10 pm. So not really. But thank you. I guess I just have to finally make up my mind that I am done with it all. I don't know why it is so hard.
It is hard...but you are correct in that you will need to accept/surrender/decide that drinking simply isn't an option anymore. Some of us need help that in the form of meetings or counseling, some of us need even more help in the form of detox or rehab. If you leave open the even the slightest option to drink, it's almost a certainty.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
It is really tough some nights and is really tough in the beginning. I've been there and can completely relate to what you're going through since I went through some really tough nights as well. However, it is possible to make it to the other side and it does get easier.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eliasson

I'm sorry you're struggling.

what do you think is driving you back to drinking?

what kind of a plan do you have to stay sober?

there are some good ideas in this link - it may take a little reading but the info is invaluable

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html
Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

don't give up. your life and quality of life are worth fighting for. it may seem impossible now, but it is very much achievable. please keep fighting. you don't have to believe every will be perfect...you just have to get through the day.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody. There's not really a reason. My husband came home from a trip. He'd prefer that I drink like he does. But honestly, I don't want to blame anyone else or make excuses for myself. I just honestly don't know any other way to cope or exist or socialize in any way. It's been way too much of a part of my life for way too long. It's not my husbands, or my friends, fault. But I don't know how to get better without losing my marriage and my friendships and everything I know in my life. Im just scared. I don't know how to do life without alcohol. So sorry to keep coming here and asking for help and then failing.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyones faced this Eliasson.

The thing is, if you don't stop, everything you want to keep is at risk anyway.

It's true recovery does mean a lot of changes and some of them can be quite scary to contemplate.

There'd be noone in recovery if we lost out on the deal tho - it's got to be better than drinking or we'd all be drinking

you have some experience of sobriety - you were doing well. Use that to counter that fear.

Getting sober really is not an end - its a beginning. Truly.

I really hope you can trust me on that and make that leap of faith

D
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sobriety is worth fighting for.

Once we get a good taste, we want more.

Mountainmanbob
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

OK, that puts things in perspective.

It seems that you have not yet made the decision to quit drinking. You see alcohol as tied to things you believe you will lose if you quit (marriage, friends, a way to cope). The fear of loss is what keeps you drinking.

When I decided to quit I found that the people who truly cared about me supported my decision and wanted what was best for me. Some of them even drank, but they eventually accepted my decision.

It seems to me that you must decide to quit before you have any chance of doing so. When you do there will be those who will support you right away, and those who will wait to see how strong your resolve is.

In the end, if they can't accept what's good for you, then IMO, the relationship needs a second look.