Notices

Antidepressants to aid recovery and positive well-being????

Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants to aid recovery and positive well-being????

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on antidepressants? Please don't post "seek doctor advice" because I can walk into any clinic and have a doctor prescribe them to me in 5 seconds without consultation. Life experience is way more beneficial than our severely screwed up health care.

I want to gain insight from people who have also questioned whether they would be beneficial to their well-being and why or why not you decided on or against them.

Do you see it as a replacement substance for the ones you are trying to overcome? I feel guilty for considering them but i might actually need them.

We are taught to survive and not reveal our vulnerabilities. We are taught to never seek help because it shows weakness. Could help come in the form of another pill? There is no scientific test to prove you have depression or anxiety. One has to question if these are made up terms. Everyone is NOT supposed to be the same. Are anti-deps a conspiracy for government capitalize off pharmaceuticals and to make everyone think and feel the same? Do antidepressants turn you into a compliant zombie?

Are you also a believer in cognitive behavioural therapy but don't have enough motivation right now to set you on the behavioural changing path? Did you succumb to antidepressants to commence your journey?

Did you use SSRI's or MAOI's?

I'm seeking help and horror stories.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Antidepressants are only useful if you're depressed, or in my case, have nerve damage.

There may be other uses too, but I wouldn't take them simply to 'aid recovery'.

Please don't post "seek doctor advice"
The reason we say this is because most of us are not doctors - and for those who are, noone here knows your clinical history.

We can share our experience but it would be a mistake to treat any shared experience as medical advice.

What may have worked for someone else may not work, or even be suitable for you.

Meds can help some, but my advice, based on my experience, is to also look into the non medical recovery aids - meeting based recovery groups like AA or SMART or LifeRing..counselling, or inpatient or outpatient rehab.

There's some good ideas on making a recovery plan here too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can only share my ES&H.

I've been on and off anti-d's both before I became an A and after. I did not take any for a few years into early recovery because I had read here, enough, to know that it was going to be challenging and I could tell my emotions were a bit all over the place, but that's just me.

I initially fought going on them, thought I was supposed to be able to "handle" anything. I've been off them for a while, but am going to see my doctor about getting back on them because even when things are going pretty good, I'm in what I call "a funk" - no real joy, no motivation.

I have always been interested in CBT but I can't afford a therapist. I don't see an anti-d as a fix for anything, it just allows me to function. I can feel the good, and I can feel the bad.

Everyone is different, some anti-d's didn't work for me. That's why I'm glad that I do go to my doctor and have a good relationship with her. She knows my addiction history, what's going on in my life and she's helped me find something that works.

I do think that some people are too quick to reach for something to "deal with life". Yes you can walk into a doctor and get them prescribed, but it's worth it to work with a doctor and see if you really need one. Just my 2 cents.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Court jester

I was on anti depressants decades before I got sober because I was depressed and had bad anxiety. Still on them.

MAOI's are older forms of anti-D's. SSRI's and SNRI's are "new and improved" with less side effects.

Depression is diagnosed by comparing your symptoms to those symptoms of people we know are depressed. In essence, the DSM 5 is based on the same modality. As such, seeing a shrink to evaluate you on those standards may give you a better answer.

Also, choosing the right anti-D, which includes over a dozen varieties of SSRI's, 3 different SNRI's, atypical anti-D's, tricyclics, and the MAOI's you still have to toy around with the proper dosage. Psychopharmacology really is like throwing darts. You have to experiment to find the correct fit for you. This is a daunting task which, again, a professional shrink is more skilled at navigating.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been on sertraline for years. And they help me a lot. They don't make me into a 'zombie'. On the contrary, they enable me to find my own happiness cause they make me feel better about myself.

I see a good shrink three times a year now and he thinks that since they are helping, I should stay on them. I agree.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I self-medicated for decades. Now I use prescription drugs. At least, I have a professional lookin after me.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is no scientific test for plenty of other diseases that are real disease. Low vitamin d levels can cause depression, and you can test for that. There has been reports of scientists test RNA markers in blood to diagnose depression. Anyway, not to be over bearing, but just wanted to make clear that it is a really real thing for a lot of us, and I think any mental illness should be treated just as a physical illness is. That being said, yes, we are over prescribed medications- both for physical and mental reasons

I take medication for anxiety and depression, and now Antabuse. I haven't had a drink in 23 days because of medication. I don't have panic attacks anymore over small things like a traffic jam. I sleep. Because of meds. If I can live a better, happier, heal tie life by getting help from a positive substance, I will. It all depends on how you weigh it and what your beliefs are. Sorry to be preachy, but I just want our society to move away from the stigma of taking meds.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm an alcoholic and treat my alcoholism primarily as a psychological and behavioral problem. I've also come to recognize, after a lot of years of struggle, that my natural brain chemistry doesn't support a productive or pleasant life, and so I take drugs that alter my natural brain chemistry. I don't find the diagnostic terms personally helpful but my doctor has to use them or the insurance won't cover his care.

My use of psychopharmaceuticals isn't remotely like my abuse of drugs and alcohol. It isn't for me a question of morals or societal pressure or "succumbing". Simply, further drug/alcohol abuse will kill me -- psychopharmaceuticals under supervision are helping me live decently.

And I dare you to find anyone who would characterize the medicated me as a compliant zombie.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I think I will seek counselling. Even though it WILL cost me $160 per 50 minute session. WHEN DID OUR HEALTHCARE GET SO CRAZY??? They'd rather dole out drugs and make a huge profit than help people.

I've seriously been crying nonstop for 2 hours. All I want to do is get a medical note to go on stress leave from work. However, I have a very important meeting tomorrow with very important directors. I need to pull my Sh1t together. I have NEVER had a problem with weed, I actually hate the stuff for recreational use. But i am seriously seeking out a joint to control my emotions.

I don't know if my problem is addiction or self medicating my depression and anxiety. I am smart enough to trick doctors, shrinks AND MYSELF. How can I ever trust myself to reveal what the real problem is?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

write it down and take it in with you. I always found I was more forthright when writing and less inclined to downplay or misrepresent things when I had a story I couldn't change.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

The good news is your not alone your among friends

In this together Tiredofwaiting
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was really good at tricking doctors, too, back in the day.

Today? I realize that my way of doing things really did more damage than good. I want to be able to be as "normal" as I can be, if medication can help, fine, but I'm not looking for a magic pill.

I actually take something for sleep that I would have abused the heck out of, back in the day. I have no desire to do so. I was tried on numerous things, before my doctor and I settled on it.

I think counseling is great, it's just not in my budget.

I think when we realize that tricking doctors really only hurts us, it's like one of those light bulb moments.

Not really sure how to reveal what you're feeling other than just say it. I showed up at my doctor's office, in tears, one day. I just blubbered out my feelings.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I showed up at my doctor's office, in tears, one day. I just blubbered out my feelings.
Yeah, I broke down in front of a total stranger, a clinical social worker. After that, the cat was kind of out of the bag, you could say.

ToW, I guess what people are saying is that you should seek some professional help as soon as possible -- where that might lead you, it's hard to predict. But it sounds like you've reached the point where doing without help is harder than asking for it. That's a scary place, but it can lead to better things.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am no doctor and cannot diagnose you. In my heavy drinking days I saw my doc. And told him I was bummed out. He asked no more questions and placed me on Zoloft. When I got sober I took myself off this medicine as I was not me. I became someone totally different than me. Even though I am a mans man (so i think) I show emotion on my sleeve. When I was under the influence of these meds I was a zombie / no emotion. I was not depressed. It was just the booze. Now that is just my scenario. You may be different. I'm sober and drug free. I'm back to being me!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I self-medicated for decades. Now I use prescription drugs. At least, I have a professional lookin after me.
I'm the same mate. Anything to get the job done in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
I'm the same mate. Anything to get the job done in my opinion.
Yep, I'm the same too. It works, I don't abuse my meds and I'm able to function day to day so it's all good :-)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Big pharma has a billions/trillion dollar foothold in the medical community. With ADs, when the patent runs out, then they manipulate a molecule or two and viola, a new AD drug to garner billions from the drug pipeline- i.e. Celexa to Lexapro.

All that aside, I was on Paxil and Celexa for a total of 5 years. The sides effects getting on SSRIS were horrible, but within 6-8 weeks my anxiety went away and I had no more panic attacks. I did gain over 50lbs during the period I took ADs and was starting to develop other health issues. I tapered off for a couple of months and the withdrawals were horrible.

SSRIs are very effective for most people as they certainly were for me (other than the weight gain). However, I personally were never go back on them. I employ other methods to deal with my anxiety disorder, PTSD and bouts of depression. It's hard work, but just as effective in the long run. That's my opinion.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EJP

Over the past three years, Ive contemplated going on antidepressants as well. And I was even prescribed snris after my brother in law died and I was having non stop panic attacks and heart palpitations for a week but I didn't start taking them. I bought a book called When Panic Attacks that helped calm me down. Its a great primer on cognitive behavior therapy.

The longer I abstain from alcohol while I eat healthy, exercise daily and meditate, the less depressed and anxious I feel. You'll see people touting the same things over and over but they work! Even after just a week of eating healthy, exercising, and meditating, I feel much better.

I find the difficult part is starting back those behaviors and having the discipline to continue them when its so much easier to just cut loose and kill some beers. Ive yet to abstain from alcohol permanently but I do believe Im on my way there now.

I hope this helps... Im not a doctor. Just a former successful white collar drone seeking some kind of enlightenment while trying to be a decent parent.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EJP

Oh, and yes STRESS.

Our society downplays the effects tremendously. After years of schooling, intensely competing up the ladder with long days, ****** commutes, ignoring family matter and moral dilemmas, the weight can become unbearable.

If you can take a little time off to unwind and start some healthier patterns, I would recommend it.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being a "compliant zombie" is a symptom of depression. Anti depressants help to level the playing the field so, you can work through and, out of your depression. I'm on an SSRI and, it does help.

Talk to your doctor. Be honest with him. The important thing is that you get better.