SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Remembering how bad it can be (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364748-remembering-how-bad-can.html)

KeepTruckin 04-14-2015 01:58 PM

Remembering how bad it can be

So I've been home sick the past couple days, just feeling awful (well, a little better now :) ). Last night I wanted to get a good night sleep but I was so congested and had slept all day so I took an alka seltzer nighttime. What a mistake that was!

I haven't taken any sleepy medicine like that or NyQuil in a long time and now I remember why. Besides always making me a little sick to my stomach I never get real sleep when I take that stuff. I found myself tossing and turning at 3 am, never to get back to sleep. The tossing and turning combined with the achy, congestion and the woozy feeling from the medicine brought back some memories of the not-so-distant past. I can remember many a restless night when all I wanted was to sleep and sober up, but instead I just lay there feeling awful.

Lesson learned. Two actually; 1. Don't take nighttime medicine, it never works how I want it to. 2. Drinking makes me feel sick. Literally. And I don't like being sick.

Today's is 30 days. Went by fairly quick with no intense cravings or breakdowns, but I'm still trying to stay ahead of the curve. Hope you are all doing well!

NikTes 04-14-2015 06:37 PM

I hope you sleep better tonight, Keep!

newpage119 04-14-2015 06:48 PM

Congrats on 30 days, Keeptruckin! That is huge!:a122:

least 04-14-2015 06:59 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober months. :scoregood

Soberwolf 04-14-2015 07:04 PM

Congrats on 30 days

strategery 04-14-2015 07:13 PM

congrats on 30 days keeptruckin! I hope you're feeling better soon! :hug:

Mags1 04-14-2015 07:16 PM

Congratulations on 30 days, keeptruckin, brilliant.

Ruby2 04-14-2015 09:02 PM

Congrats on 30 days and I hope you feel better. I've found for nighttime congestion that those breathe right nasal strips help. I also run a humidifier/vaporizer in the bedroom. Plenty of fluids!

sweet dreams!

DrunkenDonuts 04-14-2015 09:06 PM

Well done Truckin'. How about a warm milk before bed?

Yonder 04-14-2015 09:10 PM

Congrats on 30 days. LOVE YOUR NICKNAME! Hope you can catnap some and turn the corner soon on that chest cold. Sending you energy and a hug.

HeartsAfire 04-14-2015 09:30 PM

30 is huge!! Congrats!

neferkamichael 04-14-2015 09:52 PM

KeepTruckin, 30 days is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin or ya. :egypt:

KeepTruckin 04-15-2015 06:43 AM

Thanks all! I'm still feeling lousy today, but good enough to be at work (grudgingly :) ). One thing is for sure, I hate feeling like this and it seems just crazy how much I have made myself feel like this on purpose in the past! Two days of my life were just wasted away in bed because I felt too sick to do anything, but how many more days have been spent like that recovering from drinking? Just, whoa. I'm ready to get back in action and stay sober and take advantage of ALL my days. Thanks again for your well wishes!