SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A big Thank You to everyone here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364745-big-thank-you-everyone-here.html)

PedroChavez 04-14-2015 01:34 PM

A big Thank You to everyone here

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone here.

Thank you to the newcomers who, like me, are just starting out on the journey towards sobriety and have been brave enough to share the problems they're experiencing. It's been crucial for me to know that I'm not facing this alone.

Thank you to those who've achieved longer term sobriety. Your inspiration, experience and encouragement is helping me a lot.

Thank you to the people who pay for and maintain this website. You're helping countless thousands of people and, I suspect, saving a good many lives.

I'm only on day 11 of sobriety. I know that's not much, but it's the longest I've been sober in over 20 years. I don't think I'd even have got this far without these forums. I'm gradually learning to try and have plans for different situations, to recognise the voice of addiction when it tries to seduce me. I'm practising mindfulness when the cravings get too bad (although I'm not sure if I'm doing it right). I'm even beginning to think about what I might start doing with all this spare time I've got. Life, it seems, is full of possibilities. This is all down to stuff I'm learning here.

So thank you to everyone for all that you're teaching me. I'm sure I've got a lot still to learn. Now for day 12.

Anna 04-14-2015 01:39 PM

Welcome, and 11 days sober is terrific!

It sounds like you've learned a lot about early recovery and there you doing good things to help through this process.

Mindfulness is a great tool, not just for recovery but for life. I was surprised and thrilled to learn that my 5 yr old granddaughter is learning mindfulness in Kindergarten. What a great idea!

least 04-14-2015 01:42 PM

Welcome to the family! :) I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here. :grouphug:

CharlesG 04-14-2015 01:43 PM

Day 11 here too! Thank you for posting and joining up!
I signed up out of desperateness and needing that support I felt that I couldn't get from anywhere else. I needed to be around people "like me" who were making those changes and going through those struggles so I can gain inspiration and motivation to be my own success story. Not logging on to here led me to slipping back slowly many times, along with not having anything spiritual going on in my life that I was devoted to. SR has truly been a blessing, and I want to keep posting, as I wish you and everyone else does! YAY!!

PedroChavez 04-14-2015 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5318077)
Mindfulness is a great tool, not just for recovery but for life. I was surprised and thrilled to learn that my 5 yr old granddaughter is learning mindfulness in Kindergarten. What a great idea!

Wow! That's amazing. I wish I'd been taught something like that so young. Thank you Anna.

PedroChavez 04-14-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesG (Post 5318083)
I signed up out of desperateness and needing that support I felt that I couldn't get from anywhere else.

Me too. My doctor basically told me I had to give up alcohol or start writing my last will and testament. Would you believe, I actually had to think about it!

Chadders 04-14-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by PedroChavez (Post 5318122)
My doctor basically told me I had to give up alcohol or start writing my last will and testament. Would you believe, I actually had to think about it!

Ha Ha! Love it!
Well said by the way Pedro - I agree whole-heartedly with your original post!
Good luck to you and many congratulations on 11 days!

Dee74 04-14-2015 02:08 PM

Way to go on 11 days Pedro :)

D

Opivotal 04-14-2015 02:41 PM

Congratulations, PedroChavez!

SR is truly a gift for all of us.

Keep up the great work. :)

Soberwolf 04-14-2015 02:47 PM

Awesome PedroChavez Welcome & Congratulations